Pre-match: D.C. United v. Crew

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Mar 17, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: D.C. United v. Columbus Crew SC
    What: MLS Round 3
    Where: RFK Stadium
    When: Saturday, March 18, 7PM
    Why: ******** the Crew

Form (Old to Recent):
    DC: DL
    CLB: DL

Standings (W-L-T)
    DC: o-1-1, -4 GD, 10th in East
    CLB: 0-1-1, -2 GD, 9th in East

Injuries:
    DC: Acosta (Ankle, "Day-to-Day")
    CLB: Who knows

Notable Absences:
    DC: Goals
    CLB: Kei Kamara

[​IMG]

Never forget

fatbastard, TowsonDad, GumbyG and 3 others repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Goff reporting that Vincent is indeed out with a meniscus issue. (Having torn the meniscus in my left knee last summer and, hopefully, having avoided surgery so far, I would never treat a meniscus issue as minor.) Also from Goff sounds like Acosta should get some minutes. However, this does mean Marcelo is back at DM for the foreseeable future.

Both teams have looked like ass at times early on. C-bus will be missing their dud DP central defender and will have to start a rookie. This should be a 2-0 or 2-1 win for the good guys, but who the ******** knows after last week's fiasco.

DCUSA, UnitedBorn, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I will be interested in who is in the 18. With Tissot and Odoi Whatsisname in Richmond, there does not seem to be a backup left back. Backup right back could be Robinson, or put in Boswell or Opare and slide Franklin back over to right back. Anyway, I think it's informative to see what options Ben leaves himself. But now I see Richmond doesn't open its season until next week, so not an issue today.

So, will we get a shot on goal?

Winoman repped this.
  4. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    With ASN shutting its doors will the regions outside of Northern VA/DC still get the games on the local Sinclair stations?

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    ACOSTA IS BACK !!!!!!

Starting lineup : Hamid, Kemp, Franklin, Birnbaum, De Leon, Sarvas, Harkes, Acosta, Nyarko, Sam and Mullins ...

Bench : Worra, Boswell, Jeffrey, Büscher, Le Toux, Ortiz and Neagle.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Columbus looks to be lining up in a 3-5-2. Possibly forced by Mensah's suspension.

That back line of Nicolai Naess, Alex Crognale and Josh Williams doesn't look very scary. Not a ton of experience. We better score some goals today.

Also, they benched Ethan Finlay ... so one less threat to worry about.

8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    We suck again!

mosca, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Dismal. We look so unprepared for this season.

UnitedBorn, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two of the worst PK calls in the history of this sport.

stangspritzring, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ortiz has the right instincts and needs more time on the field and with Acosta. We don't have a replacement for Mullins (duh - we knew this shit in November). We need to change formations and I don't know if we have the coach or the players to do it.

Neagle is a starter, as is Nyarko. DeLeon was good today overlapping with Sam.

My lineup going forward.

Hamid
    DeLeon Birnbaum Kemp
    Sam Sarvas Nyarko
    Acosta Harkes
    Ortiz Neagle

So - basically a 2-5-2 with fast wide wing players and Ortiz and Neagle who can drop into midfield when necessary.

james

shawn12011 repped this.
  12. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Horrible reffing. But more horrible play from United. 0 goals in 3 games is not going to make it. Crowd as light as Ive seen for a Saturday game in a long time- probably just as well. Bummer all around

greatscott, caliban, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  13. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Having Acosta and Harkes in the middle of the field highlights just how bad Marcelo can be on the ball. How many times did he take too many touches in the middle of the field and get dispossessed?

Ted Unkle is a preening ass. A yellow on touching the ball away after an offside, without a warning? Okay buddy, yes, we all paid to see you.

Not being there means it's hard to see exactly what's going wrong on defense, but boy we seem to be soft in the seams between our central backs and outside backs. Again, if Sarvas + one of our two central mids can't close down opponents quickly enough, we're going to get picked apart by good attacking mids all season. It might also be time to see Boswell?

Three games is just three games. But that's two home games that a good team would have won, and we got one point combined out of them.

stangspritzring, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United is now the only team that has not scored this season.

greatscott, nick and Winoman repped this.
  15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Yea even Minnesota has a goal, ouch. And DC has dropped 4 points at home now to mediocre teams.

Winoman repped this.
  16. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The pace of play was too slow by far. Pinging it around while allowing Columbus to set up defensively was frustrating to watch. Only Acosta, Ortiz and at times, Sam and Nyarko attempted to move the tempo.

After watching this languid display, I would make some lineup changes.

Sits: Franklin, Sarvas, Sam. In: Boswell, Jeffrey/Durkin and LeToux.

Neagle remains my 30 minute sub. Sam assumes the LeToux role for a couple of games.

Ortiz might be good, but he really isn't suited to play as the lone striker the way Mullins does.

Finally, who is responsible for that shit pitch? I've seen pastureland in better shape than that mess.

Winoman, shawn12011 and sitruc repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think you can sit Sam nor do I think he's done anything to be benched. You are correct that we can't do a lone striker without Mullins so we need to 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. I think 5 in the midfield will give our shit defense some cover.

I don't want to see Jeffrey or Durkin for a while.

james

bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    My reason for sitting Sam is that one of Sam or Nyarko needs to sit just to change things up. Sam hasn't been horrible, but he hasn't been great either. Nyarko offers better defense and dribbling skill so he stays in the lineup for the time being.

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That leaves an unbalanced field with no overlap.

20. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, holy shit, who taught the near side AR offside? I counted twice where we were called offside when a CLB player played the ball back, and twice where the player in an offside position wasn't involved in the play...

I can (possibly, maybe, only just) see the yellow to Harkes if he told people before the game that's one of the things he was keeping an eye out for. But I'm willing to bet that didn't happen.

And Unkel...WTF is up with his thespic PK signals? As if it wasn't bad enough they were both shit calls, we gotta see you rehearsing for MacBeth, too?

******** that guy.

Other than THAT, our buildup is, as always, glacial, excepting Acosta and Mullins. They were definitely better in transition to attack than we were, but without Unkel's assistance they didn't have anything in the final third. Not that we did either, mind, but I think we did have them in SoG.

smakawhat and sitruc repped this.
  21. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 roadkit, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    I'm just glad we're not getting too into ourselves so early in the season.

Early season success has typically meant we got cocky and loss-prone towards the end. Glad to see Ben has the team on a sustainable path with lots of upward potential.

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Only watched highlights, but WTF was Unkel doing on that 2nd PK call? Dramatic knee and pointing to the spot? I give MLS refs grief all the time, but that was way over the top. Also, it's never a good sign when a fan can identify a ref by name.

sitruc, FLSoccerGran and Winoman repped this.
  24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the sarcasm tag.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  25. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I was in the UK for the first two games. Today's game showed real weaknesses on this team, particularly up front.