Pre-match: D.C. United v. Atlanta Identity Thieves

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Jalen Robinson played well last night. Given that, I don't understand why we spent so much money on Boswell and Franklin. Perhaps Boswell was on a multi-year deal, but we know Franklin got a new contract. I'm anxious to see how Harkes improves when he pairs with Cannouse as his partner.

Winoman and TowsonDad repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Robinson was OK. He looked deer in the headlights when tasked with passing the ball. His defense was competent, his overall play including passing was below average. Now, his passing can be improved upon and hopefully will improve if he gets more minutes -- or then again he could be Conor Shanosky.

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinson was always looking to pass vertically. I like that, the team needs that, but he was shoehorning some balls in tight spots unnecessarily. He'll figure that out with experience, something he has very little of.
    I'm thinking Robinson can walk faster than Shanosky can run, and that they are a poor comparison.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I am not a big NDL fan, but I will agree with this. If you look at him in the moments before kickoff, he has the most "intense" look of anyone on the team. I haven't watched the game yet, so this is not based on anything that happened last night.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    He was one of the best DCU players last night.

Winoman and song219 repped this.
  6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    A rather incomprehensive list but of those listed less than 3 postdate DC United
    Argentina Unión de Santa Fe, Unión de Mar del Plata, Unión de Sunchales
    [​IMG] Australia Gold Coast United, Adelaide United, Newcastle United Jets
    [​IMG] England Leeds United, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Sheffield United, West Ham United, and many more
    [​IMG] Finland Tampere United
    [​IMG] Jamaica Montego Bay United F.C., Portmore United F.C., Rivoli United F.C.
    [​IMG] Japan JEF United Ichihara Chiba
    [​IMG] Republic of Ireland Galway United, Drogheda United, Waterford United
    [​IMG] Scotland Ayr United, Dundee United
    [​IMG] South Korea Incheon United, Seoul United
    [​IMG] United States D.C. United, Atlanta United FC, Minnesota United FC

Winoman repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Reported.

8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Are they all as phony (i.e. there weren't two or more teams that got merged and united into one) as Manchester United?

9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    From what I gather many towns counties or what evers had teams competing very locally. When inter city play began many of the clubs were merged to strengthen them and became xx-United.
    One other source mentioned there were more than 62 teams with United in their name in England

Winoman repped this.
  10. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 GumbyG, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Disco inferno

https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-disciplinary-summary/2017/week25/carlos-carmona?autoplay=true

https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-disciplinary-summary/2017/week25/greg-garza?autoplay=true

These were pretty minor offenses, glad they're feeling free to just hand out fines rather than games for everything - hopefully it's a sign they'll be more consistent and thorough.

Wow, typed that with a straight face.

And, for anyone that's interested:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...ary-committee-parameters-account-video-review

11. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    I know that Man U, Leeds U, and Cambridge U, at least, were not the result of a merger.
    Leeds City FC refused to cooperate with the FA and got forcibly dissolved in 1920-something. A replacement club emerged immediately and was called "Leeds United" from day one. Man U went for a name change in response to Ardmore FC rebranding itself as "Manchester City". "United" was sheer marketing.
    Yes, I tell these stories whenever some smart-ass gives me crap about the artificiality of "DC United".
    We're not the first . . .

12. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Ardwick AFC

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    And in no way at least to the rational mind, have any right to lay claim as the last, or one and only.
    Own Goal is on our side

14. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    What's the squad number of Own Goal?
    I want to have a customized shirt made. His number is "00", isn't it?

15. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Atlanta " " FC has black and red, roughly 50/50.

[Joking rant follows]

If we don't nip this in the ass right now, the next "United" that the MLS FO permits will be allowed to have a 60/40 black/red kit, then yet another new "United" that's 70/30, etc., until comes a day when there's a second all-black "United" running around. Then the MLS FO will demand that we change *our* color scheme to avoid confusion.

Our repeated and wanton destruction of Atlanta (Own Goal's actually) is a *righteous act*, one that will serve as a warning to other scumbag posers that come along.
    Fear Own Goal, you dickholes.

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Own Goal wears an exponent, numbers are beneath him

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Eintracht is German for united.

NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    harmony, unity concord. Tracht is traditional German clothing Ein is one. You might say one uniform is a fair meaning but I took 5 yrs of HS German and my 50th anniversary was a couple of years ago, I do remember they are fond of words that are more like descriptive phrases that go on forever.

19. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it sort of 'one cloth', as in cut from the same cloth? Sure, that's it, no need to respond, done deal!

20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Swiiiiiiiiiiiiing and a miss, Mr President

21. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of them are. Manchester United was selected when new owners decided that Newtown Heath wasn't a sexy enough brand name and, as part of the rebranding process, changed the team colors from Green and Yellow to Red, White and Black.