Czechia at UEFA Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by adam CZ, May 4, 2016.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Our center of defense is going to be a disaster for a while it seems though

2. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Not until Prochazka returns...

3. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  4. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    At least Bilek made adjustments when it mattered at the last Euros. Vrba not so much.

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    There is a lot of bad to dissect from this tournament, but its fair to say that before anything else we need:

-Pace, my god we are slow, especially in defense this was an issue in qualifying as well
    -Composure, which for all the bad selections this was the most glaring problem with our management, every time we had the ball our players looked like they just wanted to get rid of it even for no purpose. Completely unprepared and overwhelmed.
    -A reliable goal scorer up front and at least one on the wing

6. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This has been the most useless tournament for the fact that seven or eight players in this squad are likely finished after this. It's different taking a number of youngsters to build a core for the next cycle, but now we ultimately have nothing to cherish from this. The only thing that was confirmed for me is that Vrba isn't the magician that so many often labeled him.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Big difference between managing a club and a national team (and even difference between managing qualification and a tournament), and Vrba didn't look prepared for this level at all during this tournament.

8. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think Vrba naturally prefers the club setting, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns to move abroad. There wasn't much of a plan from the start, or at least one that could be sustainable to this point.

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If Vrba could get a position in a decent foreign league it would be win-win. I think his time at Plzen helped our performance in 2012 more than his national team management helped in 2016.

I see pieces of a puzzle that still need a lot of filling in at midfield, but center defense and forward are just bigger issues than ever (and they've both been issues since about 2008). Sivok is a decent though not spectacular international back, and he's 32. After that we really have nobody that inspires any sort of confidence.

On the other side, the scouts seem to believe that Schick has big potential, but so did Necid, Vydra, and even Vaclav Kadlec (one who just had a somewhat disappointing tournament and two that had such dismal years they didn't even make it that far)...

Krejci's development has seemingly stalled, he needs to move abroad to sink or swim so to speak. Dockal should move abroad too, he has the talent & technique - a better league would force him to speed up his decision making (which along with being fairly slow for a wing player) is his weaknesses.

Darida is the driver of our midfield now, hopefully we'll see Pavelka (a human yellow card presently) or Marecek step up in the all important defensive midfield role at least for the short term.

No idea who the next manager should be.

We really need some young players to develop beyond journeymen, which is something our "top young talents" have largely failed to do for the past decade.

adam CZ repped this.
  10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The retirements are already rolling in as Plasil and Lafata have said they are done at the national team level. Lafata never really was a national team level player skill-wise though he had his goal poachery moments against lesser competition and Plasil for his accomplished club career has long been the focus of much criticism on the national team (including quite a bit from me) although he held a spot for many years and was capable of moments of brilliance (almost one today).

I certainly wish them the best with there remaining club careers.

11. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'm going to compile a list of players for the next cycle, but I'll wait to see which players retire first. I continue to remain optimistic (crazy I know) about our chances of qualifying for the next World Cup. I just can't believe how fast this whole process has been. Feels like we were just on top of our qualifying group with 12 points from our first four games.

I've heard Karel Jarolim is the most likely replacement for Vrba should it come to that. I honestly know nothing about him, but I'd rather be uncertain of a manger at first, then pleasantly surprised later on. It was the opposite with Vrba.

Oh well there's two. Good luck to both of them! I still think Lafata is useless, but whatever.

12. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    My opinion, not good... no international management experience and his club management reputation was built back when Slavia was literally bankrupting itself to succeed.

13. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'm trying to think of other options. I don't think Lavicka or Scasny are ready to make the jump right now. Do you rate Lubos Kozel at all? That's the only other realistic appointment I could see.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Lafata, Plasil, Rosicky, and Cech are all likely to retire from the national team. I think Sivok is still good enough, but he needs a faster center back next to him like Suchy or Kalas. Necid is decent, but needs to find consistent football. Hopefully he can do that in turkey.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Of the ones you list Lavicka would be my pick, he is generally well liked by his players (can be good and bad) and he has managed at the U-21 National team level. Still, assuming a change is made, I would rather see us at least try to find a a manager with some senior international pedigree (though our budget likely makes this impossible).

16. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This is the player pool I'd like to see for the next cycle:

GK - Cech*, Vaclik, Koubek, Pavlenka
    RB - Kaderabek, Selassie, Zahustel, Mateju
    CB - Sivok*, Suchy, Brabec, Kalas, Celustka, Baranek
    LB - Pudil, Hlousek, Novak
    DM - Pavelka, Marecek, Vacha, Soucek, Petrak
    CM - Vacek, Frydek, Horava, Vanek
    RW - Cerny, Skalak
    AM - Darida, Dockal, Cermak, Jankto
    LW - Krejci, Sural, Zmrhal
    ST - Necid, Vydra, Schick, Kadlec, Julis

Hopefully Sivok remains with us. I still think he's capable of participating in one last campaign. I certainly value the presence of Cech in the squad, but to be honest, he's almost been more of a liability lately. Have to respect his decision though.

Now, the four players I bolded are the ones I have high hopes for. Or better yet, the ones that can hopefully develop into something greater than the standard Czech talent. The potential to have a star player in each attacking position is very exciting, and in truth, is really all we need to get us over the hump. Having a couple of standout players can go a long way, even if the rest of the group is fairly average.

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'd like to see a 4-4-2 now. Necid-Vydra up top. Midfield is pretty sorted with Krejci-Darida-Pavelka-Dockal

I think someone like Vacha or Vacek should be given more chances.

18. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Agree with you on Lavicka being the ideal replacement. I also can't possibly see us hiring a foreign manager. However, we do have a few managers in Trpisovsky and Latal that I'd expect to manage the national team eventually. Both still need a few more years in club football though. When looking at international pedigree, Zeman appears as an option, although it seems he wants nothing to do with Czech football.

19. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I've always felt the diamond would be the best way to go in a 4-4-2. I think Dockal's future for both club and country is playing centrally. If he can get his act together, I'd welcome a return for Vacha, but we also have plenty of other options there too. I'm confident in Pavelka should he regain the form he had last fall.

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    As for managers, I think we are kind of screwed. I really doubt we will be able to get anyone that isn't in the Czech league already. We really need a bigger name to come in.

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well we didn't actually get our revenge, but Turkey basically just got 2008'ed by Ireland's late goal against Italy. Sort of glad to see Ireland through more than really caring about misery loving company.

Provided Croatia's self-sabotaging asshole brigade doesn't do something so big it gets them kicked out they actually have a very realistic shot at the finals. The usual suspects are all in the bottom half.

Hard to predict a champion, nobody has looked above the pack. Pre-tournament I figured Germany or France.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Poland v Switzerland: I have poland winning this one. The swiss haven't looked that great this tournament.

Wales v Northern Ireland: Crazy how both of these nations made the last 16, but I have Wales winning who have been strong defensively.

Croatia v Portugal: Tricky game this one, but I think Croatia will win it. Portugal haven't won a game yet and considering who was in their group, they'd be disappointed not to win that group. But you never know especially since Ronaldo finally showed up to a game.

France v Ireland: I think France is winning it all, but Ireland will push them for it.

Germany v Slovakia: I'm rooting for the Slovaks now, but I can't see them winning this one. They played so defensive against England trying to catch them on the counter, but they will have even fewer chances and have more pressure pushed onto them in this match.

Hungary v Belgium: I have Hungary with the surprise upset. I haven't been impressed with Belgium, and I think everyone keeps underestimating Hungary who is playing like Leicester were last season.

Italy v Spain: Probably the tastiest match in the 16, and I have Italy winning it. I think the we organized Italians will hold Spain back and will be able to exploit the space Juanfran and Alba constantly leave on the counter with their 3-4-3 formation.

England v Iceland: I think England has enough quality to win this one, but Iceland's set pieces will cause England trouble. I am saying England win, but would not be surprised at all if they lose.

23. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Can't say I'm truly rooting for anyone, but I'd like to see Italy go far. I know their style can be tedious, but I love watching that Juve back three. Wales v Northern Ireland will be fun with those sets of fans. Having two Irish teams in the knockout stage is insanity. Easily among the best supporters in this tournament.

I think the Slovaks will give the Germans a bit of a scare and make things uncomfortable for them. They certainly won't surrender like we would. Croatia should go far, granted those hooligans are stopped before another shameful act. I'm just hoping England and Spain bow out before the semis.

I still like Germany winning the whole thing. France hasn't been convincing just yet, though should they find their rhythm, they are an absolute force to be reckoned with.

24. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It appears that he is likely Russia bound for FC Anzhi, famous mainly for being big spenders although with a budget that seems as mired in corruption and as dependent on resource prices as the country that it's part of. I can't fault him financially for this move, he'll probably make about as much in one year than what he's made in his whole career up til now.

Hopefully its just a financially motivated stopover, there are far better employers even in that league.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So who in the world are we going to sign? No one from the Czech league really seems that great.