Czech national team [R]

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Canadian_Supporter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    He doesn't really have any experience, but he's become involved in some regional youth academy work in recent years. He also reportedly turned down an assistant position after not getting the manager job today.

Šilhavý is in from the sounds of it and he already has one assistant lined up, with Poborsky having said no he's talking to another former player, Tomas Galasek for the other position. Galasek has managed in the lower tiers of Germany, and I believe was briefly an assistant during the tail-end of Bilek's tenure.

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Šilhavý is official.

He has about 2 weeks to select his first squad for the match against Slovakia.

3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    His record with Slavia was excellent, and prefers the 4-2-3-1 which suits our players well, but yet again this is just another Czech manager who might be out of his depth on the international stage.

I am optimistic just because I never really like jarolim. He should have been sacked last year.

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I like Silhavy okay, I would have liked a bit longer search even if it meant an interim for the rest of Nations League. My only worry is that morale is very low and he doesn't strike me as somebody that can walk into a room and instantly motivate a team that has played poorly over the last year. I think faith in Jarolim was lost a long time ago, so even just having a new manager will hopefully boost attitudes back to neutral.

Silhavy is a good tactics person by all accounts, and anyone who wins the league with a club (Liberec) that's not Sparta, Slavia, or Plzen is at least decent. Actually, his overall domestic club record is impressive, at Liberec he never finished outside the top 4, and then he took Jablonec to a very strong 3rd even after they had sold Lafata to Sparta.

5. That's Liquid Football

Boston United
    England
    Sep 21, 2018
    Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here with a Shameless Plug, but we've been running a new series on our site this season called 'Love Letters to the European Union', in which we profile one player and one game from each of the 27 EU nations. This week's Love Letter is to the Czech Republic, and it'd be great to get some feedback from some knowledgeable fans.

https://thatsliquidfootball.com/201...opean-union-panenka-on-the-streets-of-london/

Any comments welcome, and sorry once again for the self-promotion!.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    And the first call-ups of our new manager:

Kalas is apparently injured too now.There will be two additional call ups based on the options I'd have to assume either 35-year-old Sivok or Stronati. Possibly both unless Darida is deemed fit enough (unlikely), most other roles are filled, we really just need central defenders with a pulse at this point.

With the defense being generally decimated by injury, my only complaints at positions with options are Husbauer and Sural, would have rather Travnik and Skalak or Krejci.

7. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Skalak has been pretty bad for one of the worst teams in the championship. He is struggling to refind his form. Obviously the lack of good defenders is terrifying, but this team is solid.

I am glad to see Vydra and Celustka back.

Hopefully we can look at least a little organized for these international matches.

8. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Overall, pretty much expected and nearly our strongest team of those healthy. I don't know why Reznik is there... I'm also not fond of Husbauer at this level. I'd happily take anyone of Petrak, Travnik, or Krejci instead.

Thank god someone finally noticed Celustka. I'd expect him to start alongside Brabec. I'm not too familiar with Silhavy's typical formation/tactics, but if it were up to me, I'd try a diamond 4-4-2. I think this allows us to have our best players on the field all at once in their strongest position (Jankto centrally for instance). We don't have a classic winger(s) that can dominate, so I'd rather just flood the midfield with as much quality as possible.

----------Schick--------------Vydra------------
    ---------------------Jankto--------------------
    -----------Barak-------------Dockal-----------
    --------------------Soucek------------------------
    -Selassie--Brabec---Celustka--Kaderabek-
    ----------------------Vaclik-----------------------

And as usual, it will probably look a lot better on paper than on the field...

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Almost my line up, but I'd do the midfield

-------Dockal--------
    Jankto--------Barak
    -------Soucek--------

Dockal can't (or at least doesn't) cover enough ground when asked to defend to not play the attacking mid position.

Skevin repped this.
  10. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yeah that does sound better. Jankto can run with the ball as well which is a nice contrast to Soucek who is painfully slow. Any midfield without Husbauer should be relatively okay.

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yea that is a quite good midfield, but it may end up with us being too narrow, but our full backs do like to attack a lot.

I could see us going a flat 4-4-2 with Kaderabek at right mid and Selassie at right back. Jankto can also play left mid so a midfield of Souchek and Barak.

12. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Husbauer and Reznik withdrew due to injury. Silhavy has additionally called up Coufal, Travnik, Masopust, and for the final CB spot Kudela. I would've preferred Stronati or even a return for Sivok there.

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #1088 ASU55RR, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Kudela is a very perplexing choice, he's played well the last few weeks but what upside is there bringing a 31-year-old debut player instead of a veteran (Sivok) or a younger player that may have an actual national team future (Stronati)?

Travnik is arguably the best midfielder in the league, especially considering his productivity (both domestically and in Europa League) at a club outside the big 3, and has generally been on an upward trajectory for some time now. Definitely a better use of a spot than Husbauer, who I recently described in conversation as the new Plasil (meaning he is a solid club player who never seems to fit or adjust to the national team).

Masopust is fine... Coufal I guess is too, although I would have rather used that spot for another central defender.

14. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    My exact thoughts as well. He's stepped up amidst Slavia's recent injury troubles, but I don't see him as a legit option for club or country in the future. Sivok could actually be useful given the morale in the team right now.

The inclusion of Hejda wasn't well received after the Roma game, but I'd say he's the best current option from the Czech league (and then Stronati). He's been pretty solid with Plzen a for couple years now and really should have been called at some point during Jarolim's tenure.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Hejda's a perfectly fine option considering our current injury situation, and Plzen have far bigger issues that caused them to be exposed recently. They don't have the athleticism/conditioning in midfield to cover when they press forward on the wings against good opponents, which is a difficult situation because their most consistently creative player is Limbersky (especially with Kopic injured). Ultimately, they've not made enough recruitment during their successful run and many of the transfers they have made more or less flopped (they have a few promising youth prospects though).

16. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Stronati has now been called up as Hejda isn't fully fit.

17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Stronati has been a part of Ostrava's improvement and generally exceeded expectations this season. He's definitely not national team level in the absence of our injury issues, although at 23 he still has some potential to develop so this should be a good opportunity for him.

18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Not feeling optimistic with all these injuries now

19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The killer injury is still Suchy, he's the only consistent international quality CB that we have. Darida is obviously a loss too, but we have comparatively much better back-up options in midfield. Beyond that we're mostly swapping one fairly average player for another.

Ukraine has more or less won the group already so we're just battling not to lose and have some momentum under a new manager for Euro qualifying.

20. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Unfortunately, that is the reality we face now. A couple of absences can really derail us. Our central defence without Suchy and Kalas looks dire I must say. Hopefully Celustka performs well enough to merit further call ups in the future. I'd like to see him become a regular member of the national team.

At least compared to September, we've replaced Husbauer, Sykora/Horava, and Tecl with Barak, Dockal, and Vydra, so we are no doubt stronger. It won't hurt to surround Jankto and Schick with better players either.

Regardless, we need an actual system and tactical approach that the players will buy into. Jarolim never achieved that while in charge and it showed.

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Not that it matters considering that he's injured, but while I realize Kalas has the 2nd best club pedigree of our central options - I can't really recall ever seeing him play particularly well for the national team. Not sure if Celustka or any other option will be any better, but I also don't consider Kalas being injured that much of a loss at this point

22. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I've always felt that based on raw talent alone, he's best our central defender. I think his issue is that he's probably a better athlete than a footballer. I'd say his national team performances have been satisfactory, but to be fair, nobody in that position has stood out in recent years. Until someone other than Suchy proves they're better or at least more reliable than him, I can't see him not starting.

Our defence in general has looked chaotic for a while now and it's no surprise when we use a different back four/three every game. Silhavy's priority should be stabilizing the defence going into next year.

23. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kalas isn't that good. He is an average championship defender. He probably will never been a regular for Chelsea, and probably will never even play in the premier league as a starter. I don't think England suits his game either. I think France or Italy would be better for Kalas.

He shouldn't be relied on for our national team. He can fill in from time to time, but he is not starting material.

ASU55RR repped this.
  24. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think that's it, he has the physical attributes of a good center back, but his positioning and decision are not great from what I've seen. I do think sticking with Chelsea through this never ending cycle of loans has stunted his potential development.

This is true, the last time we had a real starter in the back was probably Sivok up to about 2015 when he began to decline from injuries/age. Even in 2012 we were resorting to Kadlec, who was occasionally adequate in a pinch but always more naturally a fullback.

It will definitely be up to Silhavy to find the best consistent formation to cover this weakness as there is not really any reason to expect this to change in the near future - unless a player has sudden breakout season. While there are always prospects there are no young stand-outs in central defense that look for sure to be part of the national team soon.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    What I would give to have Kadlec, Ujfalusi, Sivok, and Jankulovski again.