Customising Your Boots : All tips, info, pics & questions here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Mar 8, 2016.

1. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    MUCH better - but I'm kind of with Corkin now (who's bluntness kills me :ROFLMAO:) that bit at the back looks odd now. It looks like it should be red. Other than that you've done a really really neat job on those. Does the pain stay on for a while once you've worn them?

appleCORR

2. Corkin23

Corkin23 Member

Feb 7, 2016
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    I find it best to be honest :D

All red everything imo!

peridz and appleCORR7 repped this.
  3. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Totally with you on that one - I think you'll have a great pair of boots if you go for all red.

appleCORR

4. peridz

peridz Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Mexico
    Club:
    Club Necaxa
    The red paint stay for a while, the gold does not. gold is not a good quality paint and also applied in plastic (that part of the heel is plastic). :)
    next project is a "champagne" morelia wave , will post in coming weeks how it goes.

Oli Coultas repped this.
  5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    my pantos didn't sell so i took the dremel and drill to them tonight to convert them to a mixed sole. my t-nuts were not long enough for the rear studs so i had to find some longer ones. all i could find was a 50 pack on ebay. they ship from china and should be here by friday. i'll post some pics when i get them finished up.

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    as promised, here are my "upgraded" pantofola d'oros. i only had 2 issues doing the mods. first, one of my heel t-nuts stuck on the bolt while i was tightening it into the sole. it spun some so it tore up the sole a little bit on the inside of the shoe. that worried me. i thought i may have ruined them. when i got the studs onto them and wore them around the yard a little bit, it didn't seem to be an issue. i suppose i could put some epoxy or something onto the nut if it doesn't hold when i play in them. the other issue was stud pressure with the new studs. obviously, they're longer, and my yard wasn't soft enough for them, but i think i need to look into comfier insoles for these shoes now. the panto insoles are thin and have no give.

overall, i'm happy enough with how they turned out. it was a fun excuse to get out the tools and drink some beers in the garage too.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      79.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
    Oli Coultas repped this.
  7. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    Does anyone think I'd have any chance of getting a cobbler/cordweiner to take out the compression tongue out of my Copa 17.1 TF and replace it with a proper tongue?

I've got an old pair of Copas which I don't wear because they are half a size too big and have a split in the upper, but the tongues are ok - maybe they could take the tongues out of them? Or would they have access to some decent leather they could use?

8. PZboots

PZboots New Member

Newcastle United
    Serbia
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hi all, noob to the forums, but not to owning a variety of boots.

Quick question, what would be the best way to shorten studs on Adidas Copa or Kaisers?
    I can see someone used a dremel tool. Were the results good?

I find Copa's studs a bit long and i feel unsteady in them, like i could roll my ankle at any time.

I currently wear Umbro Speciali Eternals (same stud length as nike premier) and i find them very stable and they make me feel close to the ground.

I love Copas and Kaisers so i thought maybe shortening the studs would help.

Is dremel tool the best option for rubber studs? Some sort of sanding tool perhaps?

9. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    I know what you mean about Copas - when I had them they didn't feel stable on hard ground. Although when I had them they were half a size too long so that maybe didn't help.

The front studs are already fairly short though aren't they? Its just the ones at the back that are longer. I also think the soleplate on the Copas is narrower on the smaller sizes? I should be 8US/7.5UK in Copas which as a smaller size probably doesn't help either.

10. PZboots

PZboots New Member

Newcastle United
    Serbia
    Mar 30, 2017
    Yeah the soleplate is narrow. I am hoping that shortening studs would help.

I am 10.5 us in copas and i ried 11 thinking the soleplate would be wider, but that extra space was annoying.

11. JuhGk24

JuhGk24 Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Has anyone of you ever tried to glue partly separated soleplate to synthetic upper? What kind of glue did you use?
    My predator LZ2 have started to separate,luckily not very badly yet. Took them to cobbler today, but he said that nothing could be done, because there's no glue that would stick to syntethic upper. That can't be true!?

12. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have you got a photo?

13. JuhGk24

JuhGk24 Member

Dec 16, 2013
    There's no damage to the upper yet IMG_20170402_221229.jpg IMG_20170402_221247.jpg

14. Oli Coultas

Oli Coultas Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Leeds
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As it's a synthetic super glue would work wouldn't it

15. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. Bat-Trick

Bat-Trick New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Anyone know of any places that can completely swap sole plates? I was in talks with Jayc a few years back and he knew a cobbler in Asia that did it but I'm not sure if the guy is still able to do it. I want to convert a few FG vapors into turf boots.

17. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just a bit of a cracked soleplate switch made my cobbler (wizard) in my Precision and Mania...

Adidas Predator Precision - travas redondas.jpg
    Adidas Predator Mania - travas redondas.jpg

Played on Precision saturday, and it worked with no problems... I'm so happy!

If interested, I've post videos of them on my IG https://www.instagram.com/blogsochuteiras

appleCORR7, gusgorman and newone88 repped this.
  18. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Those look amazing - if mine weren't s little on the tight side I'd love to wear my Mania's more.

appleCORR

serginhobertholi repped this.
  19. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Step by step Adidas Predator Mania OG soleplate exchange

PZboots, newone88 and appleCORR7 repped this.
  20. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I tried whiting-out my black and white Copa 17.1s... took me at least 7 layers of white Angelus paint. Overall not a good experience.

21. PZboots

PZboots New Member

Newcastle United
    Serbia
    Mar 30, 2017
    I just took my mizuno morelia classics to a shoe cobbler to shorten the studs by 3mm.
    Felt a bit 'high up' in them after playing in umbro speciali eternal for two years (umbro's have short studs, you feel very close to the ground in them, which i love).

I'll update with results tomorrow.

22. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I love customizing boots and these are the ones I currently have that are customized.

Nike Tiempo Legend VI (launch colorway)
    Nike Magista Obra II (Elite Pack colorway) - collar cut
    adidas Copa 17.1 (black and white colorway)

I used the Angelus starter kit. Black paint for the Legend VI and Obra II and white for the Copa 17.1. I was going for a distressed look with the two Nikes.
    A Brazilian flag on the Copa is a homage to half my heritage.

Ó Pátria amada!

** I also have a blackout Nike Mercurial Vapor X but they are all worn out now. I used the same paint and they stuck pretty nice on the Teijin synthetic.
    fullsizeoutput_506.jpeg

john_mizuno8 repped this.
  23. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    how dot he cut out obra collars work? I'm been thinking about doing it to a height closer to Cristiano's but as usual, Ive been procastinating on it. does it still keep out the debris from AG fields?

Jaxinho repped this.
  24. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    It's actually a bad example on the Obra II because even with the collar they felt like regular low-cut boots. The only advantages I got from it is that it's easier to put on and the insoles to be easily removed and put back. No, I actually have more debris now that i've cut them. I think cutting it closer to CR7's collar height will still help with the rubber pellet problem.
    I wore the Obras, used a thin Sharpie to mark, then just cut it. I made sure to keep the 'Magista' branding on the back.

25. Bat-Trick

Bat-Trick New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I had my superfly AG pair taken to a cobbler and explained I wanted the collar shorter so he folded it in half and sewed them on the inside. I don't notice it at all, he may have made a small cut as well. It turned out very well and they may be even shorter than Ronaldo's and still keep the pellets out.