Cup 2nd round: Magdeburg - BVB

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, Oct 24, 2017.

1. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't post much here, but read you guys forum often. I said that to qualify that I am very familiar with your opinion of Castro. I know you don't like him and I agree he is a frustrating player.

That being said, if you are worried about looking like a clown club I would have thought taking MO off yesterday was a relief. BVB had very little look on goal past the first couple of minutes, and Castro scores thirty seconds after coming in, you guys got control of the middle and BVB looked like they were supposed to look, scoring for fun against a 3rd div side.

He isn't a great player, but he is a useful squad player even for a top side like BVB. I don't know if you were the one over here hoping he got injured, but he isn't nearly bad enough for all that.

I just thought to throw that out there, and let you know that near hatred of your own players isn't a good look.

chewz, eaglespark and Liquid1010 repped this.
  2. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's quite straight forward. Castro doesn't do or qualify for the following:

- Improve the squad
    - Make those around him better
    - Isn't wanted by a bigger club or clubs on the same level
    - Goes a game without admiring his plethora of back passes
    - Does not lose the ball needlessly in the opposition half

Of course the management is at fault to for even recruiting him. And in light of players like Kampl and Merino being let go, this is downright mind numbing.

3. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes I was at a club's academy when I was younger. So I know what it is like to play and even at that level I have played with some pretty bad injuries. Not that anyone would think it now, but I was actually a pretty good at football once upon a time. Ironically injuries finished me off.

I occasionally still speak to many footballers of all different levels including a couple of current and former Premier League players that made it.

4. swit0539

swit0539 Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

at this point in time, Castro is a better player than Dahoud. Dahoud will hopefully develop though.

BVBFNM and eaglespark repped this.
  5. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Dahoud is playing way below his level at the moment, but the change of position does not help.

Castro is best in a 4-3-3 formation, because he can make creative passes and he does make good runs into the box. Dahoud is best playing deeper, which he has not been allowed to do.

6. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    To expand the point

1. Footballers aren't scared of playing the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern etc. This is their dream. Playing one of those big teams is literally the highlight of the season for every player (the exception is if it turns horrible like 6-0).

2. Footballers dread and hate going to lower league teams on poor quality pitches and being kicked about. Those are the games they want to avoid. It's blown out of proportion, but there is a reason the saying "can he do it on a rainy Tuesday night in Stoke" is popular.

3. Footballers are genuinely injured in many games they play. Without any exaggeration, many footballers could legitimately get notes from the doctor to not do a manual job, but get out and play a match.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/09/didier-drogba-hernia-chelsea
    https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/...-injury-problems-plaguing-liverpool-campaign/
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/apr/16/alan-shearer-obafemi-martins-newcastle
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ose-mourinho-ankle-pain-barrier-a7915456.html

7. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Suggesting that Dahoud took the easy way out is still nothing more but speculation without any support. The attitude and actions of other players are irrelevant. The hit from behind and the movement of the head as a reaction were obvious. No one knows how he felt and to question his character without any hard facts (that no one can have) is a bit too much.

Also, acting against the advice of a doctor, a professional in his field who should know what he's doing, isn't something positive or heroic. It's stupid.

Liquid1010 and bvbSlash repped this.
  8. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It is speculation, but it's not baseless speculation. Other players have done so. As someone, who suffered frequent injuries, I know personally how it feels like to have your injuries questioned, but that's the nature of the game.
    There is a thin line between stupidity and heroic. You certainly pay for it later on in your life, but that's why I don't complain about footballers being paid huge sums of money. They take risks and put their bodies on the line.

I can tell you this. It probably took a couple of years off his career, it will almost certainly effect him in later life, but Schweinsteiger won the world cup playing through immense pain.

I know many people will disagree with me on this, but I will quote one of Dortmund's greatest managers.

A footballer must know the difference between "serious pain and only pain."

Only Dahoud knows if it was "serious pain" or just "pain."

9. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Look at those two sentences that book-end your post. If it's speculation, and it's only Dahoud who knows what kind of pain he is in, then it would be baseless speculation.

You need to stop speaking about issues such as this in such a matter-of-fact manner.......

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's new to me, I hope you don't talk about the little cut of the eyebrow only few minutes before the final whistle, do you? If yes, that's bullshit. Thanks.

11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I never spoke about it as a matter of fact. I said the possibility was brought up the English commentators and agreed that it was possible.

No where have I said this was a fact.

That's what it means to be a top sportsman, people question if you could have carried on. Klopp has questioned Daniel Sturridge publicly.

You need to read what I wrote. The only person speaking about things in a matter of fact fashion is you.

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    No Schweinsteiger had injury problems for a long time before the tournament. They didn't suddenly just heal up. He did what he had to, to play and win the world cup. He is a true legend and monster of the game for that.

13. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who confirmed it? Pretty obvious you did. When you don't speak out against the ignorant commentators you are supporting their argument.

Liquid1010 repped this.
  14. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I will hold up my hands there.

I didn't mean to imply it was certain. I really did mean to put a POSSIBLY there and thought I had. I was typing in a rush, because the Bayern match was about to start.

That being said, I stand by what I have said.
    1.We don't know for sure how badly hurt Dahoud was.
    2. Neck injuries and back injuries are what every sportsman fears, because they come and go, they are hard to prove. One day you can barely jog, the next day you are perfect.
    A perfect example if Coutinho.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...inho-looks-back-injury-sumptuous-brazil-goal/
    3. The fact that he went straight off and then was able to train the next day is something that I would be concerned about. Dahoud is not an Auba or Reus who has a guaranteed starting place. He should realise he needs to fight for his place.

The problem is that 2 and 3 are linked. Dahoud could have been in agony, fearing for his career on Tuesday and then feeling better than ever on Wednesday morning. That's the nature of such injuries and why players use them when they are faking.

Dahoud is new at the club, new to playing at the top flight and I am not making any judgements. However, it is something that people will note.

Is it unfair, probably, but that's the life of a professional athelte.