CSA launching Canadian Premier League

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by fuzzx, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hopefully the economy ticks up. The WPS had a bunch of analysis of the WUSA and the adjusted. The problem was the economy went to shit in 2008-2009 and the internet completely crushed. how much local businesses spent on advertising with local sports teams. If the WUSA had launched with the WPS's business plan it might very well have survived.

The one thing left is to start playing games and put in the hard work off the field.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #1802 profiled, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  3. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is a supporter’s group taking $40 deposits (fully refundable) to try and convince FC Edmonton to join the league.

A positive move by the group but not what your post would suggest.

Ismitje, sitruc and profiled repped this.
  4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry I mis-understood what it was, i'll edit my post.

TOareaFan repped this.
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1805 Robert Borden, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

Actually, 1 more click (I'm ready to make my commitment) brings you to FC Edmonton page

https://www.shopfcedmonton.com/products/2019-season-seat-deposit

Seems like they are the one collecting the money after all

The logo is growing on me
    966433309419958273 is not a valid tweet id

Owners and senior staff were all there last night. They are doing the same thing Winnipeg, Vegas and soon Seattle will do before being awarded an NHL team

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It is not quite what those NHL teams did, but it is interesting that they are involved.

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watching CCL right now--there is no reason why Canada should not be given 2 teams in the future: Voyageurs Cup winner and winner of CPL. You've got to figure that a CPL team would at least have the same level of skill and possibility of winning as many of the non FMF teams. I feel it could be competitive.

The first leg of all these games, with the exception of the 2-2 Herediano-Tigres game and the drama of the Ice Bowl in Colorado, have not exactly been lights out stuff.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle is getting an NHL team? I thought they invented the NHL. Well, maybe they would have if they hadn't all died from the flu nearly 100 years ago.

AndyMead repped this.
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's the plan. The CSA is going after a 2nd Champions league spot and the CPL wants it for their champion as there won't be playoffs.

10. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly I hate the new format. I think its basically an MLS vs. MX and friends tourney. They need to bring groups back and it needs to be groups of 4 as well none of this 3 team crap.

ArsenalMetro, Ger90 and Robert Borden repped this.
  11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A second spot would be nice but I have to ask how you can possibly know that a team from a league where a ball has yet to be kicked or a squad has yet to be assembled will be as comprtitive as the non FMF teams?

12. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what youre saying- i'm just basing it off what i saw this past week. With the exception of Herediano,these teams did not exactly blow anyone away. In fact there was perhaps a lot of hustle displayed but very poor playing skill in most of these first legs. Under those circumstances i believe CPL could at least hang with them. CPL teams would have to be MLS 96 bad in order to not even be competitive.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this in another thread, but the CPL does not even exist yet. You want to make that claim after they have played a full season, be my guest, but now you're no better than Oliver Tse and his "Deportivo Los Angeles" the Liga Mex champions for several years running.

14. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine I'll accept that as a valid criticism--youre right, it would be more prudent to wait until after the first season before making predictions.

While starting out is always a daunting prospect for any new league, i think that the CPL is a little further along at this early stage in its development than MLS was. I get the feeling that when CPL begins it will be at USL level, which is better than where MLS was in 96 where they were essentially playing kick and run as offense and hacking away for defense. That is partially what i based my comments on.

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The rumoured CPL salary cap is $2 to $2.5 million CDN.

MLS in 1996 was $1.2 million USD which, using a handy on-line inflation calculator I found, is $1.8 million USD or, adjusting for currency, $2.25 million CDN today.

Regardless of the level of play, if I was CONCACAF, I'd want to see that the league exists before reallocating CCL spots. Maybe we can revisit this for the 2020 CCL.

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are we confident that inflation in soccer/sports salaries is consistent with the general inflation rate?

I have not checked the basket of goods that is used to measure CPI in a while but I am reasonably sure it does not include, for example, an attacking midfielder.

profiled repped this.
  17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Tragically, the CPI basked doesn't include attacking midfielders but it does include keepers and strikers. :)

While acknowledging the difficulty with the CPI, my unsupported feeling is that, if anything, sports wages have increased at a greater rate than general inflation.

18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree, my gut instinct is that to get relatively the same quality that $1.2MM USD got in 1996 you would have to spend >$5MM CDN today.....but that is just a guess.

profiled repped this.
  19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    One thing CPL won't do is overpay for domestics to come home. They are more likely to go younger and pay market value for internationals than do that and breaking the bank for players past their prime.

It's not just how much you spend but how well you spend it.

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The goal is between NASL and MLS on day 1 and go up from there. The league will way ahead of USL. Current USL team Ottawa Fury were said to be "shocked" at the CPL budgets.

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The difference in terms of wealth in the game between the mid 1990s and today is massive.

I know transfer fees aren't a direct translation to salaries but -

The record transfer fee in 1996 was Alan Shearer (and previously Real Ronaldo).

In raw #s Ronaldo was bought by Barcelona for 13.2 million pounds (inflation adjusted to ~22 million), and Shearer bought by Newcastle for 15 million pounds (inflation adjusted at ~25 million).

Now today even ignoring Neymar as an outlier (198 million), you have Christiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Paul Pogba all upwards of 80 million pounds each.

So you're talking about a 3-4 fold increase over that same time period.

Again it's unclear how wages relate to that, but with the dramatic influx of cash in the sport, you'd have to imagine that increase is nearly along the same lines).

On top of that you have more competition for these long rung North American players then you had in 1996, with USL not to mention the massive increase of MLS teams/roster sizes).

So it seems incredibly hard to make any sort of real value judgement in terms of player quality with regards to a salary budget from 22 years ago...

22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The salary range they are proposing should allow them to do that, although they will be closer to the "above NASL" than "below MLS" part of the range.

I'm not sure they'll actually be playing above the NASL or USL on day one, strictly because of the expansion team effect, but the money should allow it very quickly as the teams gel.

(And the way the NASL is going, it may not be there to be above by the time the CPL launches.)

The Franchise repped this.
  23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The number of Internationals is yet to be determined. It's between 8-10 for what we've heard so far. Exceeding USL level isn't that hard to do with the resources at CPL disposal. The league knows exactly what level it wants on the pitch so they have to adjust the rosters to reach said level.

They are fully aware of the current state of the domestic pool so allowing more internationals could be an easy way to raise the level. Paul Beirne said that the number could be high but the goal is to decrease that number as the pool expands and increases in quality.

There's a floor level where they won't accept to be under and it's NASL not USL. I've been to enough TFC II games to know that it would be disastrous to promote that as Division I in this country and they know it too

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you want about MLS 1996, but they did have the majority of the National Team that was not great, but at least competent enough to beat a good team like Colombia (who a lot of pundits picked to win it) and tie Switzerland. They also had the captain and a few of his teammmates from that Colombia team, not to mention arguably the best keeper in the region and a guy who was good enough to be called into the Euro 96 squad for Italy.

When the CPL gets guys like that, come back and boast all you want

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spitballing Budget Numbers

That puts player salaries in the $1.12M to $1.5M range. Spread across a pool of 20 players that works out at an average salary and benefits cost of $56,000 to $75,000.