PBP: Crystal Palace vs Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Wrath, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've noticed this too, definitely think it is something that the so called 'smaller' teams see as a weakness - I can picture Hodgeson now telling his players - 'keep it tight until the last 10 minutes then go at them', we need to make sure we are not continually surprised by this tactic - it ALWAYS seems to throw us off balance!

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There are also teams that do this in the first ten minutes.

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He is an incredibly frustrating player. Lots of good work but no end product.

We just don’t find him to be the loathsome human being you have stated him to be. There is a difference. Also the fact that you think he has had maybe one good game his entire Chelsea career gives you no credibility on the subject.

As for today and on matters other than this myopic obsession of yours, another 3 points that we made ourselves work too hard for against a below average team who could have nicked it. Work to do going into the new year but we are where we need to be in the table and that’s important.

The goal itself was well worked, superb ball from Luiz and what a run from Kante. A little lucky the keeper didn’t have a stronger hand but will take that. We are always there for the taking though, teams have belief against us and that’s not going to change any time soon.

And for goodness sake give Morata a loan. He has no clue where his teammates are or where they are going to be and that as much as the lack of scoring prowess is worrying. Needs a change of scenery ASAP.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #29 Wrath, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    I found him loathesome after the post on Conte, not before. Also, hyperbole much? One good game? I have never said that. He performs generally for one third of a season. I have maintained before that he is good enough for a sub, not a starter. I wanted him out of the team just because of his open disrespect for Conte because he will do it again if things don't go his way.

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well 3 points...

On Willian, he’s frustrating because he could be world class but he isn’t. He’s far far too inconsistent. He should be nothing more than a sub or rotation at this point.

On Kante, I’ve seen him make that run a few times this season. Glad he got another goal. Just like his passing, his shot is improving as well. He tried one from distance as well.

Jorgy is a good player but can play a hospital ball now and again which is worrisome when we cant score. Leaves us open to a sucker punch.

We need to improve our outside back play going forward.

Rudy needs to spend the summer working on his diagonal ball.

We desperately need a striker. Giroud was unlucky but he just isn’t the answer.

Sarri learned something it took Kloop awhile to figure out. Sometimes in the EPL you just need to ice a game. Emerson on at winger was that attempt. Would like to see him given a chance at LB tho.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You have for years stated that you hate him, that you think he is a moron, that you loathe him, that he has no brain - it comes across as very personal and honestly speaks more about the person saying it than it does about a bloke kicking a ball around a field for a living.

I have literally never seen anyone have such vitriol for a player that you do for Willian and it's bizarre. I wouldn't normally care but you flood every match thread with it and it's beyond boring.

7. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jorginho makes a lot of passes but still doesn't feel like they achieve all that much (though expect this to improve when we add a goal threat or two). It still took the more direct approach from Luiz to unlock the door and that's not a first for this team.

I am reminded of Lord Nelson's advice to his captains when it came to battle "Never mind maneuvers, just go straight at em". We would do well to have this alternate plan in our back pocket when teams try to stifle us.

The goals we ship more often than not seem to come from mistakes we make around the back (hence the massive risk factor with Luiz and AC when he plays) whereas it is a system reliant on control.

Dr_Intoxicated and lobomojo repped this.
  8. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No need to get personal. And I haven't loathed him for years. But I have been frustrated with him a lot. Whatever. You do you.

9. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Finally some consensus on Willian... went from everyone loving him for his work rate before, years later, we can all seem to understand he doesn’t and never has had warrant for being a shoe in starter for us. How did it take this long? Can’t be sure... excited to have Pulisic and hopefully another attacker come in.

Alonso may need a break. Thoughts on Emerson stepping in to start?

I’m not sold on Jorginho either... we have the personel to play a proper 433 with Kante playing cleanup. There are things I’d like to see us try but no consistent quality at striker, right wing, left full back or even CB (pls start Christriensen) are our real limiting factors

All said and done I like Sarri’s general approach to our team.. the limitations are understood and they respond well to his style.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'm surprised we're top 4.....we have no end product if teams bonker against us.....First Giroux goal was onside and it was pretty nice.

11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He took both 'goals' well. Frustrating for him I'm sure.

12. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I thought both were onside to be honest. Well taken goals.

13. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ho hum.

Willian is a solid winger but it’s obvious that we need fresh blood. Jorginho will come through, give him a year.

As for us looking stagnant, I remember at times Terry would just say screw it, charge up the pitch with the ball, and attempt a goal. It’d wake everyone up and then we’d win. I was hoping one of our guys would just shoot instead of just messing around like Wenger Arsenal.

14. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Down a goal, the JT at forward powerplay was legendary. That team had balls, they didn’t care who the manager was.

15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On Willian: When we bought him, he was averaging 6 goals a season with Shakhtar. 6 seasons. I won't count Anzhi, because he only played 17 games there and that club was a mess. We bought him for around 30m and has since averaged 8 goals a season for us in 6 seasons. The last three seasons, he's scored 11, 12, and 13 goals. His first two seasons with us were near-barren. Only 4 total goals each year. He hasn't really scored much internationally, either. My point is - he has never been counted on to score goals. Fans may have expected him to, but he was never a goal machine.

I'd agree with your assessment that Willian is solid. Aside from the honors he won with Shakthar (which included a UEFA Cup/Europa win in 2008/9), he's won the following for Chelsea:

Premier League (2x)
    League Cup (1x)
    FA Cup (1x)

Along with being voted Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year (2x). He's well-liked and every manager plays him in every game. Never gets hurt. Never complains. And 64 caps for Brazil. I understand the frustration but I think a lot of people want him to be something he's not.

And if we want to look at straight goal stats, here is the tally from last season from similar positioned players, all comps (which I understand isn't totally apples to apples, but these are top players playing a lot of different matches):

Willian - 13
    Sane - 8
    De Bruyne - 12
    Mahrez - 13
    Sterling - 23 (wow)
    Sanchez - 11
    Martial - 11
    Rashford - 13
    Salah - 45 (yikes - he already has 16 this year)
    Mane - 20
    Alli - 14

So, he's not the best. Not the worst. Can we do better? Absolutely. It'll take a shit ton of cash, though. And as much as I love Pulisic, it's going to be hard for him to replicate Willian's numbers if he comes. I hope I'm wrong. In the end, Willian has helped us win a lot of stuff.

Gio-13, Dr_Intoxicated and lobomojo repped this.
  16. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I totally agree with this sentiment as do many at the Bridge. However Serri does not seem to share this option. I have heard him complain about the team abandoning his football even when we have won.