Crvena Svezda "Red Star Belgrade" vs Arsenal (UEL) 19 Oct 2017

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Oct 17, 2017.

1. 88AgentS

88AgentS Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Nelson is just feeling more comfortable trying to get forward this game. He's still playing wingback.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he might've been Man-of-The-First-Half. Playing well both in deep defense and attacking wing.

Also Elneny at the center of our back 3 seemed an odd choice, but he might be OK there??

Meanwhile the Serb fans have this giant banner over one end for the last 4-5 mins. It's some sort of Saint or something, holding out his arms in a blessing? So much for separation of church and football! ;) And so much for 1000's of fans wanting to see their team play.

88AgentS repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 NorthBank, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Giroud not having a good night. Looks very frustrated.

15' to go. It's still 0-0. And I'm sitting here praying we've learned our lesson from last weekend.... don't try to preserve the score!... attack, attack, try to score and clinch the game!!

Edit: 10' to go and we go a man up, after one of their dudes picks up a 2nd yellow for elbowing Coquellin's cheekbone. I wonder if that will inject any life into what had become a very cautious affair.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Holy shit GIROUD

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonder goal by us. And Giroud's patience pays off! 1-0 to the Arse!!!!!!

Edit: One of those crazy aerial acrobatic goals that only Giroud can pull off. :D

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger played a lot of youth tonite. But he passed on Macey and put CECH in there for his steadiness, organization, and save making. The latter kept us from going down at many points before we finally hit paydirt. So for that I say well done Petr and well done Arsene.

It's a wrap... all 3 points... good job boys.

p.s. Nice talking to you all. :p

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A back three of Debuchy, Holding, and Elneny just kept a clean sheet.

fari repped this.
  8. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MUST_KEEP_WILSHERE!!

fari and total_football repped this.
  9. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah that's true as far as it goes and of course we did end up winning from a great finish from Giroud set up with the benefit of an extra man, so there is that.

But for me this game is just an expression of Arsenal depression, especially in the context of watching highlights of the Champions League this week. Spurs go on the road to Real Madrid and nearly get three points there and we're hoping for a smash-and-grab against Red Star Belgrade in a game where we didn't really generate very much in the way of chances, certainly no more than they did.

MisplacedSpainard and cantona94 repped this.
  10. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Olivier Giroud, laying waste to xG 0.00's everywhere.

11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great finish by Giroud, but also a pretty good move leading up to it: the Wilshere flick to Walcott was really good.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are you serious? That shot probably had a pretty high xG, just based on the location (though this is a slight flaw in xG that averages out in the long run).

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A former frequent poster here, posted on FB that she and the rest of the Arsenal supporters were held in the stadium for nearly two hours post-match......just to be safe.....but otherwise a good time was had pre, during, and post-match.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who, Judy? If I'd been there I would've been happy to wait for all those crazy 50,000 to leave. Especially since they lost, right at the death.

In most matches you can hear our away supporters from time to time, sometimes quite prominently. Especially after we score a goal or go into the lead. For this match, the home fans were so loud, I only heard one vague hey-jude riff I thought, some minutes after Giroud's wonder strike.

That is one top-class 12th man advantage they have there. And AFAIK there was no violence... if so, credit to the home fans.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

16. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought they take both ball position, body position, and the pass into accordance to calculate xG. Could be wrong here but I'll never admit it.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States