"Croatianizing" our midfield in style - Welcome Mateo Kovačić

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by saadomar, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    as much as I love Modric, I think Kovacic add more defensive stability to our midfield.

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Get ready for the quotes.

Eddie repped this.
  3. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Luka doesn't have the speed of mateo but he makes up for it with his footballing brain. It's no coincidence Luka intercepts so many passes a season,

4. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't mind haha
    To me, against a side like Barcelona/Bayern, I would be more comfortable with a midfield of
    Casemiro
    Kovacic - Kroos

than Modric instead of Kroos. That's not because Kova is the better player. He is developing very well, and as he gains more confidence, he shines even more.
    However, as things stand today, off all other CMs, he contributes the most defensively.
    If he can fine tune his decision making even more (which is better than 1 year ago), he can be a monster.

Kroosinator and Zidane05 repped this.
  5. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Mateo is one of the few players who can actually stay with Messi hence why he did such a great job of shutting him down.

6. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    DOn't dare talk bad about Luka!

7. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think people in general underestimate just how difficult it is to play the position/role that Luka, Kroos, Xabi, Iniesta etc play on the field. I'd say its the most difficult position on the field. I would compare it to the QB position in Football. Our attack would grind to a halt if these guys didn't have the football IQ that they possess and as is evident there aren't many in the world who have that IQ. Just looking at the game from their perspective its amazing to note just the sheer number of things they do let alone their difficulty level offensively and defensively.

Eddie repped this.
  8. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I love Mateo but I don't understand how you'd like him to start over the midfield that literally played Juve (among others) off the park a couple of months ago.

9. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    It may be a bit taboo to question Modric's place, but I agree with @Hsain85. There are certain matches where Kovacic fits better. His pace and stamina and work rate off the ball is better suited in a game where we're chasing the ball and hitting out on the break.

HZinho, 9Qui, MerlinRM and 2 others repped this.
  10. RomanMadrid

RomanMadrid Member+

Jan 13, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In due time Kovacic will slowly but surely start replacing Modric. Meanwhile, let's enjoy the ride.

Anon. and madridista_hr repped this.
  11. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In my opinion, it's not even close I think Kova is very good, but, Luka's defensive game is underrated , his positioning is great and his tackling is not bad either, as far as I am concerned another complete midfielder, it's good to see Kova do well, but Godric is still a level above right now and that includes experience , Kova's time will come but if I had to choose right now my starter , everytime it would be Luka, no two ways for me, no matter the opposition

madridista_hr and Fuera del Juego repped this.
  12. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'd still have Luka out there against basically anyone really, but it's amazing to be able to bring a 23yo onto the pitch who gives you a different skillset but one that is also very effective alongside Kroos and Megacrack.

13. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    I agree that Kova has a different style than Modric and brings different advantages, but even in a game where we're largely going to counterattack, I like Modric's intelligence and precision passing over Kova's energy if I have to choose. In that sort of game, I'd actually be tempted to go Modric-Kova-Isco before Kroos-Kova-Isco. If we're not planning on really holding possession anyway, I think Kroos brings the least.

That being said, who are we going to face right now where we'd be expecting to spend most of the time counterattacking? As we're seeing in this debate, our midfield is just too overwhelming at the moment to think of too many games where we wouldn't see much of the ball.

Second legs of knockout ties where we're up after the first maybe? Seems like a place where Kova's skills would fit perfectly and we'd be looking to rest one of the other three.

14. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm just happy that we are even contemplating Kova starting over Lukita. That really goes to show how much he's improved and I really hope we give him the minutes and praise he deserves this season to possibly take that spot once our Croatian master wizard starts slowing down.

Anon. and Fuera del Juego repped this.
  15. kelvinphr

kelvinphr Member+

Aug 23, 2007
    Botswana
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I see Zidane rotating the squad a lot more than last year. I see him taking a leaf out of Rafa's book and practically having 2 teams. The lads will play every other game with the exception of a few matches that will be reserved for the 1st team. He already showed in the tail end of last season that he has very little problem playing the B team and with the improvement seen in Kova, Asensio's continued rise, the acquisitions of Theo and Ceballos and the recall of Llorente and Vallejo, the B team is very strong.

16. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've mentioned this in other threads but Luka turns 32 in 3 weeks. Iniesta is a year older and looks down for the count as far as playing goes. Now I know everyone ages differently but Kova's time is defintely coming sooner than later.

Hsain85 repped this.
  17. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Any news about the potential injury?

18. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If I remember correctly, AS said it was muscle overload.

9Qui repped this.
  19. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kovacic trained normally with the rest of the team

Shay Z, Zidane05 and 9Qui repped this.
  20. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Doni and Zidane05 repped this.
  21. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Iniesta had been irrelevant for years now, incredible really. It's almost like Kaka's decline, except Kaka wasn't pampered like Iniesta. Or am I being too harsh here? I've seriously forgot the last time Iniesta has even been relevant in a Clasico or important CL game. He's either been injured or subbed after 60mins.

Luka at 31 is still fantastic, but I agree that Mateo (who I think is incredibly talented, probably the most of all our midfielders) will replace him in a year or two. He's so freakin good!

ahnaf, Zidane05 and yoanaidarov repped this.
  22. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That was Kovacic's biggest strength and weakness summed up in one. He is amazing at those driving runs from midfield, but still needs to slow down and pick out the right pass. Mightve made more sense to move the ball wide with the way Pique was positioned next to Bale.

Doni and meringues repped this.
  23. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well in all honesty he probably thought "I know Bale isn't the same anymore but surely, SURELY he can outrun Pique." Not so I guess.

ahnaf, Fuera del Juego and SoyDelMustang repped this.
  24. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #574 MaxY, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Since Kovacic's arrival, Real Madrid kept 38 clean sheets, he played in 25 of the 38 matches (66%). He also started 38 games & team lost 0.

That's actually an insane stat. We only kept 38 CS's and our sub middlefielder(not even first choice off the bench, that was Isco in previous seasons) participated in 25 of those 38 :eek: .

Hsain85 repped this.
  25. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Useless stat imo.

9Qui repped this.