Criticism of the political left

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by ceezmad, Aug 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, if it was French she'd have been OK coz they always respond to English people shouting and pointing a lot. At least, it always works for me.

Of course, I've never pepper sprayed a french person so maybe that's the difference.

(Note to self: Next time a French person doesn't understand me, try pepper spraying them and see if THAT works).

russ, ceezmad and Timon19 repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I'd been the bear I'd have eaten her just to get her to shut the hell up.

russ, Q*bert Jones III and Real Corona repped this.
  3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I don't care if that's embellished or not, that's a good story.

crazypete13 repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I could tell a similar one, but mine would need to be embellished. "Down a ravine" would be an improvement on "off a barstool," for instance. And "bear" would be significantly better than "guy on the sudewalk."

Real Corona, xtomx and Timon19 repped this.
  5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I was driving back from Apalachicola once through a huge National Park. On the side of the road was one sickly looking brown bear just walking along... I stopped and dropped some bananas I had and then pulled up a little farther up the road just to watch him. He sat down and ate the bananas and as I climbed back into my car I waved to him and I swear he waved back.

6. :D
    [​IMG]

Real Corona repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I would not expect some one in Holland to understand.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness to them, they do differentiate themselves from the OG Nazis by taking Eastern Europeans off the "subhuman" list.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because that’s their most fertile recruiting grounds

ElJefe and Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United States for majority of its history had effectively no border controls. My family came to this country in the 18th and 19th century from the UK and Germany in a manner that could be described as "the right way" at the time: The ship docked and folks got off the boat. In other words, there was no "wrong way."

Today, however, there is a "wrong way," but that's a creation of immigration legislation that doesn't address the needs of this country and only benefits the incarceration industry and immigration lawyers.

To answer your question, my answer is "Yeah, sure, why not?" But I haven't seen a compelling case that the alternative is so horrible.

I was born in south Texas in the '70s. On the border back in those days, things were a little more porous, and folks would come from Mexico in the morning, work their 9-5 (or more likely, 7-7) job, then go back home across the border at night. When folks started getting a bug up their asses about immigration and border security and giving folks a harder time at the border, that's when people started coming here and staying here. After all, if you gotta be at your job in the morning, can't be getting held up at the border.

Yeah, sure, I know the arguments for heightened border security, so save them, because you and I know that we as country don't really care about controlling immigration in general, just about controlling immigration by certain people from certain places.

But then, I'm not a "real" leftist. I'm all for free trade and free movement of people and all that.

I'm not sure if @argentine soccer fan has weighed in here, but when this particular argument has come up in the past, he as a small business owner has asked why it's incumbent upon him to enforce the country's immigration laws.

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’”

-- Matthew 25:31-40

ToMhIlL, soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This guy?

Q*bert Jones III and VFish repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    After 20-something years of the internets, that is flat out one of the most annoying people ever caught on tape. I was cheering for the bear to go berseker.

Real Corona repped this.
  13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    You and me both. I stay out of nature and expect nature to extend me the same courtesy. But about 10-15 years ago though, I had an annual checkup that required fasting. Must have been early spring because I did those around my birthday. Stopped in a Quiznos for a sandwich on the way back to work. Which aren’t good btw but I was starving and it was within 100 feet of the office.

A coyote walked in and decided to hang out. Somebody asked whose dog it was and a couple of us told the guy that ain’t a dog. It did have the same look on its face a dog has when you catch it doing something it shouldn’t. Like shit on your floor. What I didn’t do was talk to it.

About a year after that a puma was in my wife’s alley. CPD probably mistook it for an unarmed black man because they pumped a ton of bullets in that thing. Other than the drunk guy pissing on my front door, that’s all the wildlife stories I’ve got.

Real Corona repped this.
  14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In these bear discussions, it's generally helpful to differentiate between black bears (who generally will avoid confrontation) and grizzly bears (who are killing machines).

Black bears are what you see across most of North America and will generally make themselves scarce if they hear a group of you coming. Grizzlies are more geographically limited to the Northwest. They've been extinct in Colorado for 100 years, for example.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually a really bad idea in San Francisco due to the seismic activity and the composition of the land.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Details.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Ten seconds in, I was praying for a gust of wind to redirect that pepper spray back at her to shut her the hell up.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh. Almost forgot: the guy who was the main course featured character in Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man? I might have played soccer against him.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call bullshit. No bear wears pants, not even Yogi.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I bet you ate him up

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Jule, Jule, do not leesten to zee tape, Jule. Never leesten to ze tape."

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was hiking on one of the first sections of the AT a few years ago; heard some loud crunching noises coming up from off the trail, figured it was another hiker who had left the trail to piss; looked up and saw a black bear -- not too big about Saint Bernard size. I looked at him (assumption...didn't see the under-carriage), he looked at me and then turned back the way he had come. Wasn't scared but my pulse was a bit elevated.

ElJefe repped this.
  24. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Back on topic —
    Is the bear from the left or the right?