Cristiano vs Pele vs Cryuff vs Maradona

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ---Z---, Apr 22, 2012.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Imagine Xavi will come to either Chelsea or Liverpool, you think OVER A SUDDEN those teams will play "beautiful futbol"? Naahhhh
    Not to take off Xavi's credits, but think about the LUCK he was GROWING from Barca and PLAYED with many great players who all had quality to play "POSSESSION" the way Xavi can excel ...

In other hand, I am quite sure Neymar or CR7 will score wherever they go ... goals= results ...

2. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What I find annoying is that people who "glorify" players like Johan Cruijff, act as though they are more "knowledgeable" and more "objective" than a person who claims that Messi is better. I find that annoying.

We have people who either (a) glorify players from the 1950s and 1960s and 1970s, and (b) people who think that football is more competitive today, because of all the different private enterprises that have increased the competition and in turn the profit to be generated by the sport. Neither side is completely objective..... I find it annoying that certain people, particularly the people who glorify the old legends, tend to act as the more objective and knowledgeable lot.

I am one of those people who join the (b) side, I think football is more competitive amongst the big clubs today, than ever before. As a result, I would also argue that the "UEFA Cup" is not as competitive as it once was, as a result of big teams buying all the decent players, meaning that the clubs who play "UEFA Cup" football loose their best players to the likes of Manchester City or Chelsea on a year to year basis.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004

first bold , it's quite NORMAL, is not it? why?
    1- Most people who saw Cruijff of course also watched Messi, why most people who claimed Messi "better" not really watched Cruijff (except some clips in you tube)
    So the SIMPLE logic is: if you do not know Yello + blue = Green, you would (probably BELIEVE Orange is the "original color"?

2- Objective? Both Cruijff and Messi did great for club domestic and European clubs (EC and UCL) - however, Cruijff also did great with Holland (and later Barca, MLS) while Messi has NOT YET proven his great outside Barca jersey (just good at both WC and copa and won nothing)

2nd bold, Agree with you there (though ;) )
    - Football is (like other events) was improved due to revolution of technology, experience, and social growth .... However, often the "improvement" happens at AVERAGE level (like US, Korea, Paraguay , Switzeland .... got much better than before) but it did NOT affect the TOP level (Brazil, Netherland, Italy England went worse)

for individual talent, the average level (B or C class players get stronger and faster , a bit more technical than before) but at "worldclass level" or legend level is not really affected.

4. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England

the rest of the world are dumb twats. msot people know absolutely nothign on football.

i beleive i have had this talk already afew times on here.

maradona and cruyff lets analyze them.

there achievements are a bout equal with country and club achievements combined.

their goal to game ratio is also about equal.

when talkign about their talents and skills both excelled in certian things.

maradona betetr technique and cruyff better game intelligence. cruyff better allroudn player (offence and defense) maradona better this and that blabla bla etc etc.

all things combined and looked into the difference is nto that big.

i have no problem with peopel sayign amradona betetr or people ayign cruyff betetr.

i do have problem with people sayign one of them is way better then the other because thats the talk of mentally ill people and to be honest it makes me very very angry.

because its simply not true.

the top 4 of all tiem (pele, di stefano, cruyff and maradona) are close together. one may say eh is better and an other may say he is better but one cannot say he is way way better then the others.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well it's not true! Most people think or rate Maradona as better than Cruijff but not much! I would say a slight touch ... (maybe blame on Maradona's unlucky spell at Barca and unlucky WEAK era of Argentina)

2nd bold, totally agree with you! Pele, Di sTefano and Cruijff were among the most complete footballers ever had. Maradona could lead the attack but his defensive skills were just average.

What made Maradona on top of Cruijff was his WC86 legendary performance and his dribbling, dazzling ball controls ... but that was IT!
    Cruijff used his HEAD more so than his FEET in a game (same extent with Zidane . Scirea, N Santos , Beckenbauer ... ) and that made him stood out in the ALL TIME greats

6. Louis Soccer

Louis Soccer Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Apr 17, 2017
    Of the 4 that you mention:
    1. Pele
    2. Cruyff
    3. Maradona
    4. Cristiano Ronaldo

7. kovalt

kovalt New Member