cristiano Ronaldo's dribbling ability

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Jul 30, 2016.

?

Do you think cristiano ronaldo was a legendary dribbler from 2007-2010

1. Yes I agree he was

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I think he was a fantastic dribbler but not legendary

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I think he was barely average and extremely overrated

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. He couldn't dribble to save his own life

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #376 carlito86, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    RamyBt, Edhardy and Bavarian14 repped this.
  2. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    These are 360 not roulette.

3. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    That's some elite level editing I'll give you this. Some of those goals like the one in 0:33 14:50 are outrageous. I've never seen them before

carlito86 repped this.
  4. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    What was the discussion about? I'm curious :coffee:

5. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Seems that in other topic he completed 2.9 dribles per match in 2007/2008:

Here I had Info from Opta/GoalPoint about 6.7 dribbles attempts = 2.9/6.7 = 43,3% sucess rate in 2007/2008...

in 2006/2007 info about 6.6 dribbles attempts:

[​IMG]

His sucess rate is probably not much more than those 43 or 40% from 2007/2008 and 2008/2009, but maybe could be higher,,, here CR sucess rate:

[​IMG]

In resume: He is/was a good/above average dribbler but def not a legendary one... he lacks balance y ball control imo. IMO as a dribbler he is not as good as Hazard, Robben, Ribery, Neymar, Messi even Figo, Rivaldo, Ronaldo etc... and much others no very known players, but like I said still a good dribbler in 2006-2011 and in 2013-2014 season.

2010-2011 was where he had his best sucess rate:

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Opta stats did not record dribbling stats for 2006/07
    So your “info” is incorrect

Your Spanish graph lists ronaldo at 6.7 dribbles per game in 2007/08
    Opta lists him at 5.6 (191 dribbling attempts)and he had a 51% conversion rate the same conversion rate he had in 2009/10

In the interest of keeping this a propaganda free thread
    Present your sources/links and not a copy and pasted Mickey Mouse graph that I could make in 2 minutes

A picture of Cristiano ronaldo smiling in the top right hand corner doesn’t make it authoritative

RamyBt repped this.
  7. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Isn't "my info", Goalpoint uses OPTA database it seems (from both League and UCL). They are close enough to the truth imo.

https://goalpoint.pt/

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #383 carlito86, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    I reiterate that dribbling stats for ronaldo in 2006/07 do not exist
    Only chances created
    Shots on target
    Shots of target

If your anonymous sources was indeed based on whoscored/opta it wouldn’t make a false claim that ronaldo attempted 6.7 dribbles per match in 2007/08

Ronaldo attempted 191 dribbles in the 2007/08 EPL(34 matches)
    That is 5.6 dribbles per match
    You estimations regarding his dribbling accuracy are completely bogus and not based on opta data

In 2009/10 he completed 3.3 dribbles per 90 min out of 6.5 dribbling attempts
    That is a 51% completion rate
    90A5C86A-F2B8-4418-97F3-9BBC5A0C647C.jpeg
    Not 44%
    Not 45%
    Not whatever else you was guessing

Like I said stats do not exist for 2006/07
    What we have are match reports and sources like pes stats compiled by hundreds of fans that in fact list ronaldo as a legendary dribbler in 2006/07

Cristiano Ronaldo 2006/07
    Agility 88
    Dribbling accuracy 92
    Dribbling speed 95
    Technique 92
    Aggression 97
    https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10125&start=20

Rivaldo 1998/1999
    Agility 86
    Dribbling accuracy 95
    Dribbling speed 87
    Technique 96
    Aggression 88
    https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3562

Luís Figo (prime)
    Agility 82
    Dribbling accuracy 98
    Dribbling speed 77
    Technique 95
    Aggression 85
    https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4030

Ribery 2012/13
    Agility 88
    Dribbling accuracy 94
    Dribbling speed 90
    Technique 92
    Aggression 91
    https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12350

This clearly demonstrates what is already known
    Ronaldo requires more attempts than contemporary great dribblers
    But he is more persistent than any of them
    Faster than any of them
    More direct then any of them
    Physically stronger then any of them
    Mentally stronger than any of them

Ronaldo is the kind of guy that will always get you in the end some way some how
    No defence,no system can keep him quiet for prolonged periods
    The key is him not having the ball
    If he’s on the ball enough times than it is a problem

He will shoot from distance anywhere with his left or right with equal power and accuracy
    He will dribble into the box from anywhere in the opposition half
    He will out jump any defender to score a header
    Freekicks,crossing,counter attacks

If ronaldo isn’t the best at a particular thing he is what we call over here the jack of all trades
    With no weak point except his defensive contributions

No player can be compared to Cristiano unless he is able to do everything he can
    And more
    Or as we have in Messi a player who is comparable to ronaldo in his greatest area (scoring) and far superior in other areas

Neymar,ribery,robben could not even outproduce a 21/22 year old ronaldos return on the wing in 2007 but you think they have surpassed ronaldos 451 goals in 9 seasons
    Along with the hundreds of assists/pre assists and 500+ chances created
    You are completely deluded

RamyBt repped this.
  9. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
  10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #385 carlito86, Jan 9, 2019
    It’s in Spanish/Portuguese moron so translate or learn English
    (I can’t be bothered to put it through google translator because I already know from previous experience with you it will be a complete waste of time)

Your pseudo sources have included laughable claims that ronaldo hasn’t scored in “big games”since 2013
    Your non existent sources state unequivocally that Pele did not score a single penalty in 1959
    Lies,lies,lies,lies are you selling any?

It could be a get rich quick scheme for you

RamyBt repped this.
  11. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    You are pathetic bro.

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #387 carlito86, Jan 9, 2019
    Complain about life to someone who cares
    Tropiero You need a girlfriend or you need to get laid.All of them hours sitting in front of a computer screen masturbating over Pele cannot be good for your health
    :thumbsup:

RamyBt repped this.
  13. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Keep dreaming that Cristiano completed 4 dribbles in 2006 2007 or that he had more than 60% success in his attempts, the reality is that 2009 2010 was probably his best season as a dribbler (in terms of quantity) and 2010 2011 in terms of sucess rate.

Pelé for example was a much better dribbler than Cristiano 100% sure, that it isn't in youtube doesn't mean nothing.
    The rest is Fanboy bla bla bla.

14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not only you are you a arrogant liar but also a disingenuous one
    Opta stats are your objective truth when it comes to deciding who is better at what

Pele played in a time that preceded all of this (with regards to collecting advanced statistics)
    So How can you be 100% sure Pele was much better at something you have absolutely no proof for?

There is no consistency in your analysis and really you are just a biased Brazilian poster that has a hard on for Cristiano Ronaldo

RamyBt repped this.
  15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @Tropeiro
    Do I have to bump up the Pelé overrated thread?
    I could do it for fun in the knowledge that you would probably be suffering from a seizure or panic attack
    You cannot believe how funny it was watching you flood that thread with nonsensical gibberish in bold enlargened letters

Even celito was embarrassed watching you embarrass yourself

16. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #391 Tropeiro, Jan 9, 2019
    Unlike liars and dishonest people, I speak the truth and show things as they are, be in bold enlargened latters or no and it seems that people here don't like it too much, they still prefer to believe in myths, to be honest I thought you would be glad that I unveiled the myth of Cristiano Ronaldo being a much more frequent dribbler in 2006, 2007, that is false he was on 07-08 and 09-10 level... and yet that wasn't what happened (you went to a full emotional state with a lot of drama posts involved).. maybe you aren't open to education.

PD Btw I'm not fan of Pelé, I just recognize him as GOAT because that's what he is... I like Zico more to put one example and despite you think I don't, in fact I like Cristiano Ronaldo too.

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I will break it down for you simpler
    For the 2006/07 premier league season opta data provided the following
    General: Minutes played, Substituted on, Substituted off

Attack: Shots, Shots on target, Shooting accuracy, Hit woodwork, Big chances missed, Goals from penalty, Goals from freekick, Goals with header, Goals with right/left foot

Teamplay: Passes, Passes per match, Key passes, Short/Long passes, Long balls, Through balls, Crosses, Cross accuracy, Corners

Defence: Goals conceded, Tackles, Tackle success, Last man tackles, Blocks, Interceptions, Clearances, Headed clearances, Clearances off line, Recoveries, Duels won/lost, Aerial battles won/lost, Errors leading to goal, Penalties conceded

Goalkeeping: Saves, Penalties saved, Punches, High claims, Catches, Sweeper clearances, Throw outs, Goal kicks

Discipline: Fouls, Offsides

A source that claims to have been based on opta in 2007 cannot be authoritative if it includes dribbling stats because they did not start seriously recording data pertaining to dribbling till 2008 or 2009
    That is a fact

Ronaldo being a more frequent dribbler in 2006/07 is easily substantiated if you bothered to watch his performances that season
    Or even if you watch many of the comps I post and have been posting
    Sorry to say but a lot of your arguments are dumb

Averaging more dribbles per game doesn’t always mean your a better or more productive dribbler
    A substantial amount of Cristiano Ronaldos dribbles in 2006/07 were in crowded areas,man marked with at least 1-2 players at all times and fouled more than any other player

Figo and ribery were mostly wing dribblers who did damage in mostly uncrowded areas
    I cannot find a better example than Lionel Messi who was played as CF in 2012/13 playing near or in the box and averaging 3.8 dribbles per game in La Liga and dramatically increasing to 7 dribbles per game in 14/15 when he was a wing playmaker

Cristiano Ronaldos dribbling ability even during in his prime fluctuated depending on his physical condition.
    In 2008 he gained more mass after his ankle injury ,became more muscular and as a result more stiff and less agile
    This is easily observable if you watched performances of his in 2008/09 and even at the tail end of 2007/08 that he played through injury

In 2006/07 he was in the perfect condition
    Bulkier than previous years before but agile enough to weave through players
    His technique is probably not yet legendary because I noticed his first touch wasn’t always good but he covered it with his pace if he miscontrolled a ball
    In 2007/08 his first touch improved and continued doing so year on year till today where it can be said his ball control is of an elite standard even in high pressure situations

There is a consensus amongst fans and knowledgeable analysts who base their analysis on match footage and not secondary sources that ronaldo was a better and more productive dribbler in 2006/07 compared to 2007/08

Here is a comparison between 2006/07 , 2007/08 ,2009/10 skill sets by pes stats for example with regards to dribbling

2006/07
    Agility 88
    Dribbling accuracy 92
    Dribbling speed 95
    Technique 92

2007/08
    Agility 85
    Dribbling accuracy 89
    Dribbling speed 92
    Technique 95

2009/10
    Agility 85
    Dribbling accuracy 89
    Dribbling speed 92
    Technique 95
    https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10125&start=20

RamyBt repped this.
  18. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So PES stats are now legitimate proof??

19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well he doesn’t accept the verdict of fellow professionals including contemporary greats and/or all timers like Ronaldinho gaucho,Lionel Messi,Xavi,Johan Cruyff,Bobby Charlton,kaka,Wayne Rooney,John Terry,henrik laarson that explicitly or implicitly state that Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United 2007-2009 was a legendary talent

When a fan thinks his opinion is more authoritative than what we can say was a widely held consensus during the actual relevant time period than alternative sources have to be presented
    And yes in answer to your question pes stats is a legitimate source with some basis,they don’t get it right all the time particularly with older legends but with more recent players they seem to do a better job

A 22 year old can’t be considered the best ever player of a historical club like Manchester United
    Cannot be considered the most talented player to ever play in the premier league unless that player is a legendary talent

In order to enter the history of world football you have to win a World Cup.
    There are obviously geniuses of the game like Cristiano Ronaldo and George Best but for me to reach their level I would have to win the World Cup
    https://m.sport.ro/anglia/rooney-c-ronaldo-e-un-geniu-e-la-fel-ca-george-best.html

Wayne Rooney 2010

RamyBt repped this.
  20. Bavarian14

Bavarian14 Member

Bayern München
    Jun 1, 2017
    Well 2006-07 might've been the dribbling prime of Ronaldo. But there was usually very little end product. His passing and first touch wasn't very good either

21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That first leg encounter vs Milan wasn’t one of his better games although he was by no means bad (he scored a goal and was a legitimate threat with shots on target and some incisive but sporadic dribbling runs)

The best of CR that season was against Roma in the champions league

In the premier league against 7th place bolton he made 3 assists in literally 25 minutes

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2007/mar/19/match.sport11

Here I included a lot of his teamwork/wing play/playmaking including assists,pre assists,key passes,crosses,dribbles,goals,skills in 2006/07(for club and country)

He recorded a career high of crosses here in 2006/07 (143 in the PL alone)and a career high of assists (21 in all competitions)
    Despite this I do agree he wasn’t the finished product yet and certain elements of his game particularly in shooting( and also decision making )needed addressing(he was 21 years old for most of the season and I’m not aware of many players who were so developed at such a young age)

During his prime this was his best season as a dribbler but the level he reached in 2012 is a whole different level IMO
    He was here demonstrably more decisive in big matches ,a better passer/crosser,better finisher,better first touch just a completely higher caliber player

Only some fans who are nostalgic about his Manchester United dribbling days would doubt this
    As a game changer in 2012 he reached his zenith(in 16/17 CL aswell of course)

RamyBt repped this.
  22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #397 carlito86, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019

@PDG1978
    As a playmaker/hybrid winger a performance you may not be aware of for the NT
    @Bavarian14

RamyBt repped this.
  23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Its been a while since ive revisited this thread
    Footage is from 2006-2010 only
    Its hard to find IMO a similar player let alone identical
    There are similarities with R9 his direct dribbling/running style
    Ronaldinho his stationary balls skills and controls
    David beckham his deep crosses from midfield/wing positions
    Juninho his knuckleball technique
    The on ball strength and aerial prowess of didier drogba

A unreal physical and technical phenomenon

Ive even included some defensive actions but in no way am i suggesting this is what he was known for as cruyff,di stefano,vincent mazzola etc who were more complete(without neccesarily IMO being more effective)

@celito @benficafan3 @Sexy Beast @Tropeiro @leadleader @ko242 @Danko @BocaFan @Edhardy @Alessandro10 @PDG1978 @Perú FC @annoyedbyneedoflogin

RamyBt repped this.
  24. Cynosure7

Cynosure7 New Member

Real Madrid
    England
    Oct 14, 2019
    @carlito86
    I agree with your opinion that CR7 was a lengendary dribber, but only in 06-08 and 09-10 seasons. During this prime, his dribbling accuarcy is between legendary class and world top class, at the same time, he got legendary pace,accelrateion and athleticism.
    In FM 08 and FM 09, CR7 got 19 acc, 18 pace, 20 dribbling and 19 technique, which is briliant.In Fifa 08 and Fifa 09, CR7 also got good stats in dribbling and ball control and athleticism. This could partly reflects CR7 ablity during that time.

In your references, I found CR7 in EPL 07-08 had 191 dribbles attempted, but i didn't find the exact success number .

You mentioned to have advanced stats that CR7 had 2.9 successful dribbles per game in EPL 07-08, which means he succeed 97-100 time in total in premier league 07-08, with about 51%-52% conversion rate, that is really fantastic success rate before 2010s.

Do you know where I can find this number of "2.9 success dribbles per game in EPL07-08", or exact success number in that EPL 07-08, I would be really thankful if u can show me this.
    Thanks

RamyBt repped this.