cristiano Ronaldo's dribbling ability

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Jul 30, 2016.

?

Do you think cristiano ronaldo was a legendary dribbler from 2007-2010

1. Yes I agree he was

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I think he was a fantastic dribbler but not legendary

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I think he was barely average and extremely overrated

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. He couldn't dribble to save his own life

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #301 leadleader, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    The feedback that I always give for such videos, is that I think videos of that type are always better, when you include the complete play -- what I mean by that, is not necessarily that you include the complete play pre-CR7 (before CR7 touched the ball), but at least, you should include the complete play post-CR7 (after CR7 finished his run and produced whatever he produced), that way one has a clearer or more realistic perspective of the actual end product.

EDIT:

Great video, by the way. Just finished watching it a couple minutes ago.

EDIT:

If possible, I would like to watch a version of that same video, but in chronological order, that is, without jumping from 2007-08 into 2009-10, and then from 2009-10 to 2007-08, etc. Chronological order will probably make the video more boring, but at least it would offer a more realistic perspective. You could have 2 versions, a chrono version, and the version as it is right now.

ko242 and carlito86 repped this.
  2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I understand where your coming from but here's the thing how many of you guys or even people in general have the time to watch a 20+ min video
    Including the play before and after the dribble would add up to at least 10 or even 15 min of extra footage

Anyways the vast majority of dribbles I have included are pretty clear cut(what use is there knowing what happened moments before or after the dribble when at least 95% of dribbles I have included are in fact examples of end product ie dribbles resulting in shots on goal,chances created and solo goals etc

Note
    I wasn't expecting you to comment but thanks anyways.our little war of words on the other thread is obviously nothing more than banter(unless you are really taking this R9/Romario malarkey to heart :whistling:)

leadleader repped this.
  3. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^ EDIT:

If possible, I would like to watch a version of that same video, but in chronological order, that is, without jumping from 2007-08 into 2009-10, and then from 2009-10 to 2007-08, etc. Chronological order will probably make the video more boring, but at least it would offer a more realistic perspective. You could have 2 versions, a chrono version, and the version as it is right now.

ko242 repped this.
  4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #304 carlito86, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    2006/07

2007/08

2009/10

Note:
    Not all of the footage I have included would necessarily come under the definition of dribbles or attacking runs I have also included some skills and bits and pieces of play making(specifically on the 06/07 comp which is imo his greatest flair season by a country mile then comes 07/08 and 09/10...His 08/09 was a bit of a gap in terms of dribbling if your asking honestly I wasn't really impressed at his dribbling that season even if he did have a few performances that showed he could still dribble at "that" level.
    Enjoy

ko242 and leadleader repped this.
  5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @PDG1978 @PuckVanHeel
    this is just a quick update on ronaldo's assist record in 2006/07
    I've come across a home match performance vs fulham where he made another 2 pre assists in a 5-1 win(In addition to scoring 1 goal)

Pre assists at:
    1:50-2:27
    8:08-8:32

So now we are at
    23 goals
    22 wide assists
    9 pre assists
    in 51 games
    Manchester United scored 120 goals in all competitions during 2006/07 which would mean CR7 was directly involved in 45% of all his teams goals playing as a orthodox winger

6. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Necaxa, Galatasaray, Real Madrid
    Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think he is a very good dribbler but not fantastic or legendary.

I saw many players better than him.

7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

A 30 min comp on c.Ronaldo's best runs,playmaking(including crosses,long balls and through balls) for sporting Lisbon,Manchester United,real Madrid and the Portuguese national team.

I've tried to include as much rare footage as possible especially when it comes to his NT performances were there are quite alot of hidden gems to be found.

In part 2 which I hope to complete soon enough I will be focusing more on his goalscoring including his aerial ability, long shot/freekick technique(including goals scored and stunning efforts that were either denied by the post or GK)

Note:
    there seems to be a slight problem with the audio around the 20 min mark which only lasts for 2 and a half minutes.
    @PuckVanHeel @AD78 @Afghan-Juventus @leadleader @artielange84 @greatstriker11 @Puskas 1988 @SayWhatIWant @KennyDalglish

artielange84 and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  8. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He was a counter attacking kind of dribbler, extremely effective in an open game. In fact, CR7 in his physical prime was probably the best counter attacker ever. He relied on his physical presence (very difficult to knock off the ball) and shear athleticism (sprinting past opponents) to beat players. One of my favorites (Kaka) used to have a similar dribbling style.

However, I feel that in congested games against teams parking the bus, he's not as effective. Not like Messi and Iniesta.

tLB Odiseo repped this.
  9. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #309 EdgarAllanPoet, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Cristiano could have been one of the greatest dribblers ever. He was unbelievably elusive, quick, agile, powerful and possessed an arsenal of masterful footwork. Usually, players with Ronaldo's level of freestyle ability don't simultaneously have all those other qualities. He did. It's a shame that he lacked the sticktoitiveness that Messi has. Post '08 too many of Ronaldo's dribbles culminated in him looking for free-kicks at the first hint of contact coming his way creating his diving reputation by going to ground so easily. Cristiano mercilessly fought off challengers and was able to leap over defenders, spin away from danger, trick his opponent or just out muscle would be dispossesors all at break-neck speeds when he was up to it. With his raw abilities and technical prowess he could have had an endless portfolio of brilliant solo plays. Most times he settled for mediocrity which was completely self inflicted considering his spontaneity and creativity. He also lacked the composure and confidence to take on that final defender in most situations opting for ill-advised shots on goal rather than attempting the "goal of the century" type runs.

Ronaldo was a fearless magician early in his career and whether it was the result of compensating for uncalled fouls, saving his body or lack of interest in being among the greatest dribblers of all time he completely overhauled his style becoming simply above average rather than legendary. I can't count the times Ronaldo was on an amazing run humiliating defenders in his path and either chose to shoot from awkward angles, off balance or from far distances simply because he didn't make the effort to beat that final man as Messi and Maradona shaped their careers on the back of.

His goal against Villareal in '09/'10 is a prime example. Ronaldo collected the ball deep in his own half, blew by a couple defenders with his insane acceleration, dribbled 40 yards, cut inside beating a 3rd defender and shot from 20 yards out to score the goal. There was one man in the box left to beat and if he would have kept his run into the box and performed a skill to beat him and scored he would have had his version of Messi's Getafe goal. This scenario played out countless times in his career. Most often not ending in a tangible result. Though strictly speaking to ability, Ronaldo was up there with Best, Garrincha, Maradona, Messi etc. His problem was consistency, composure and courage, he definitely wasn't mechanically deficient.

carlito86 repped this.
  10. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #310 EdgarAllanPoet, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

The very first dribble in this video from @carlito86 is exactly what Ronaldo's problem was that my previous post addressed. It starts out with brilliant footwork and explosiveness to easily beat a couple defenders then he beats a third in the box. Rather than hopping over the defender's outstretched leg to stay on his feet and continue on to beat the 4th defender he chose to dive for a penalty. Had he stuck with his dribble he had the momentum to beat the last defender and give himself a good look at goal. If he continued and beat the last man it would have been a Puskas Award caliber goal and a career highlight but instead it becomes a cheap look for a penalty that his resume is plagued by. This displays that physically and technically he was as gifted as anyone but mentally he lacked the making of a legendary dribbler. Ultimately he is giving up on himself. For all of his confidence in other areas of the game his dribbles suffer from being unsure of his ability.

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just a small correction here Edgar:

The first dribble resulted in a foul being given and he was rewarded with a pen.
    This was the dribble that led to his first goal with real Madrid in 2009
    (It was a clear cut foul IMO even with my limited grasp of the Spanish language it seems as if the commentators were all in agreement about this)

(Dribble With commentary)

Isaías Silva Serafim repped this.
  12. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011

I agree absolutely that is was a foul and legitimate penalty. My position is that he usually appears content that it was a foul and assists himself to the ground rather than trying to hop over the leg and continue forward. His approach became to use these instances to his advantage by selling the contact instead of not relying on a call and doing everything he can to finish the play himself. Maybe a foul is called if he immediately turns it over due to the contact. This happens often. He would have done the same thing at midfield, outside the box or out on the wing. In these cases, I think if he stayed on his feet making an effort to fight the challenges and continue forward he'd be more highly regarded as a dribbler and player. 20 year old Ronaldo probably would have hopped over the defenders leg and dribbled directly at the coming defender and performed a chop, step-overs or spin to create a shot. He lost that relentless drive where he was always moving his feet, twisting, pushing, bumping, cutting and jumping in an effort to extend his run. He became too willing to fall and take the set piece rather than believing he could most likely exploit a weakness and capitalize.

carlito86 repped this.
  13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hopping over defenders or even riding the tackles is something he use to do routinely especially in Manchester United.
    He used to do it to the extent that SAF said that he would often see him in training after match day with his legs completely bruised or cut up . The defenders in the epl were so relentless in their efforts to stop him that perhaps this led c.Ronaldo to reconsider whether going on so many direct and mazy runs into the box was really worth it.

I just wanted to show you something quickly . This is a CL group stage game against marseille in 2009/10 at 5:25 on the comp c.Ronaldo goes on another one of those direct runs,dribbles past 2 easily when he cuts in and attempts to dribble past the third he is hacked down by a defender which left him sidelined with a ankle injury for 6 weeks

To be fair to the defender who injured Ronaldo he was quite apologetic about what he had done saying that it had "tormented him for days " he had even gone as far as to fax real Madrid fc and pen a personal apology to Ronaldo
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/oct/13/cristiano-ronaldo-injury-real-madrid

I thought I'd mention this as a bit of added back round information but point I'm trying to make here is riding the challenges he was given by defenders first in the epl and then la liga was starting to have a detrimental effect on his chances of playing week in week out being stuck on the sidelines battling injury problems just wasn't part of the program for CR7

EdgarAllanPoet repped this.
  14. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    i just saw this, and needs to share :D

810835168885899264 is not a valid tweet id

greatstriker11 repped this.
  15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  16. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Cristiano ronaldo was a decent dribbler at his peak which is why I selected that. If the topic was about Cristiano's current ability, I would have chosen option 3. The reason why Cristiano could never make the transition from decent to legendary was because he relied only on his pace to beat players. So as he lost his pace, his dribbling was almost nonexistent. And thats why you seldom saw him dancing circles against teams with pacier defenders during his peak.

giles varley and leadleader repped this.
  17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Quite a while ago now on the suarez thread you requested to see a comprehensive comp on ronaldo's best dribbles from his entire career so you could make a definitive judgment on whether or not he was truly elite in his dribbling technique

Well here it is and some more(it's a 30 min comp based almost entirely on dribbling runs and playmaking from 2003 onwards)

Note:
    there is a issue with the audio around the 20 min mark which only lasts for a couple minutes but that shouldn't really matter to you anyways as I highly doubt your going to watch a CR7 comp for that long :D

KennyDalglish repped this.
  18. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    You are right, I am not going to watch a Cristiano clip for that long but in reality I wont watch such a long clip for anybody.

That being said, I did see one of your earlier clips which had some 'clapping' background music - that was a good clip which had Cristiano's solo goal runs. That was a good clip and I had feedback about his dribbling in then and I forgot about replying i believe. But in terms of a player - that video was solid. I didnt know Cristiano scored this many solo goals before watching that clip.

This video I saw bits and pieces -(like from when 4:20 seconds is remaining) the goal against Leverkusen near the end where he goes by two players is good but at the same time you have diluted the clip with cristiano time waste dribble moves too. Your clips are great - just make one 10 minute clip with genuine dribbles with great production. That could look as good as a Messi comp. during Messi's peak, (he is still at almost at peak level but some seasons he has been out of the world) there was a time people created monthly clips for Messi games played in that month. So you cant really compare against Messi by volume. If you put a clip where Cristiano dives or loses the ball after a dribble - people will focus only on that part of the video. also, the parts I saw, many of the runs - he was dribbling using pace including some in which he would pass the ball front. Thats pretty much using his pace - you use pace for dribbling but moves like pushing the ball forwArd, you are relying solely on pace. So for a thread like this, you kind of want to remove those moves as the good non pace dribbling moves get lost in between.

Cristiano Ronaldo is an exception in that he used solely his pace to dribble past opponents and in that he has had a lot of success in doing so. So, when playing against teams with faster defenders, he kind of becomes ineffective. But anytime he came across a slower defender, he will be more effective. So his dribbling during his peak is a bit overrated because of the sheer volume of his dribbles but at the same time, how many dribblers with better ball control have actually dribbled past that many players - let alone score that many goals. So fair credit - his production has been very very good. And this is kind of where the Messi - Cristiano Ronaldo comparison becomes more evident. If Messi's production is on par with Cristiano, then Messi wins every time unless Cristiano starts taking heading to an alltogether different dimension. Its why now Cristiano has morphed into a poacher entirely because talent is not an argument he is going to win.

19. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    This isn't true. Ronaldo still had speed faster than anybody a few years ago and his dribbling had noticeably declined. In reality, it was transforming his body into a muscle which didn't hinder his speed but affected his agility and quickness. It was his explosive first step and ability to sharply change direction that made him great. He could stop and start, cut or step around people before they knew what hit them. To this day he can dribble down a wing and beat anybody in open space.

20. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011

Well said and nice compilation. I remember an interview where they asked Ronaldo why he doesn't just perform all of his freestyle maneuvers in game and beat every defender he wants. He said that if he brought those skills to a match they would all be out to break his legs for embarrassing them. I believe him as I haven't seen Ronaldo perform 1/3rd of his skills he's capable of. There are so many demonstrations of Ronaldo dribbling like Futsal players utilizing skills I've never seen him attempt in a competitive match. He has intentionally not performed them out of respect. I remember when he put on a display against Eboue when he was running out the clock against Arsenal back in 08-09 and he never did a similar stunt. From a showmanship and entertainment perspective, it was great to watch and I wish he still had fun like that.

21. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And all on the same day. This is evidence for the obvious! Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

22. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011

Nobody could ever isolate moments of Messi dribbling himself into turnovers right? Watch the Copa Final against Chile, Messi was abysmal.

23. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    #323 EdgarAllanPoet, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Hey @carlito86 ...

I didn't know you were actually making compilations. Do you have all his matches archived? If you could ever get around to it, we desperately need a complete video of Ronaldo's greatest passes. Every playmaking video I see of Ronaldo leaves out many of his finest passes. They focus on either assists or the passes that created a shot on goal. He has a lot of long range and cross-field passes that fell directly to their target and other passes that were pre-assists or deeper in a buildup. Like his pass to Benzema in Germany against Bayern that Benzema passed to a teammate for a goal.

I think a video of Ronaldo's best end to end plays and counter attacks would be cool to see too. Like his goals against Ajax & Fiorentina and when he hit the post after running 96 meters in 10 seconds or whatever.

3:55 in this video is an awesome leaping 20 yard header pass by Ronaldo for Higuain that leads to a goal for Raul. This is one of Ronaldo's genius moments that never makes the cut in compilations. He times and positions himself perfectly to receive a long ball from Pepe then plays a headed through ball up for Higuain while leaping.

24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Messi vs Espanol is the most recent example of his current form and his dribbling. It wasn't an isolated moment since we all know he was MoM that day and did great every time on the ball that day. On the other hand, CR7 vs Kashima Antlers was his most recent example of his current form and how inferior his current dribbling looked relative to that of current Messi. Any one thinking that the current CR7 dribbling is competitive to that of current Messi's could consult with what took place on last Sunday the 18th and compare these two for refreshment of the mind. Hence, your "vs Chile" comment is irrelevant to this discussion.

Pay attention to the recurrent use of the adjective "current" here above since this underpins my argument :geek:

It's well established in the mainstream that Messi's dribbling ability has always been substantially superior ;)

25. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    This is so lolable. So if at any point in January Ronaldo puts together some nice dribbles in a match you will disregard your findings here and say that he is currently an amazing dribbler? Don't be foolish. Judging by these same two games Ronaldo scored a hat-trick and Messi one. So currently Messi is a much weaker goal scorer relative to Ronaldo. Your logic.