Cristiano Ronaldo or Brazilian Ronaldo

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Mysterious, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My god this full video is amazing, Its five mins but its the best football vid I have seen.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tOndOgb-dEU[/ame]

Ronaldo is the best, end of.

2. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Good find, his dribbling was out of this world but:

I didn't see one header, one free kick, one amazing pass or one shot outside of the box. Running through defenders half his size was basically all I saw.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    - He has had a few headers in his career... although really not his strenght
    no free kicks that I can think of ...
    - He didn't need to take shots from outside to score, he could just walk in with the ball ... although u must be blind because there were 2 in that video from just outside or outside the box ... plus he has scored quite a few from outside ...
    - Defenders half his size ? pffffff ... he would have killed EPL defenses

4. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    LAWLZ.... I could probably show you 8 from Cristiano last year alone... You're talking a highlight reel spanning 12 years...

I thought we were talking the more COMPLETE player... You're saying headers were'nt R9's greatest strength, LMAO, a LEGEND should be able to head the ball ...NO? (see Henry.) Where is the passing? Where are the free kicks? I'll even give PURE dribbling ability and smoothness to C. Ronaldo, granted as of yet not as many displays have ended up in goals but we still have about 9 years to cross that bridge right?

"R9 would kill BPL defenses".....

Just like Michael Jordan would average 50 points if he played today, Babe Ruth would hit 80 homeruns, Ali would knockout Tyson in the first round, Nickalous would own Tiger and Richard Petty would'nt lose a race... :rolleyes:

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not really about being a complete player. It's about doing your specific job better than anyone else and arguably from about 1996-2002 he did it better than anyone else, but even after that he still managed to score 83 goals in 127 appearances for Madrid, that's outrageous.

It's rediculous that we're comparing these two, the only reason this is even a topic is because of their name, or nickname...because, you have people who will say, "Ronaldo couldn't do what Cristiano does" or the opposite.

The fact of the matter is, Ronaldo is a modern day legend and 10-20 years from now he will more than likely be considered one of the greatest of all time. As for Cristiano, he's still young and has only had one 'player of he year' caliber campaign. We'll see if he can do it consistently throughout his career.

6. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't like Ronaldo but he has had two, he should have won it last year too, plus he has cleaned up full house on awards for the last two premier league seasons.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's a short highlight reel. Go watch more before talking. He scored plenty from outside. Here are a couple from outside the box for you...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsq39jkAxU&feature=related[/ame]

But I am not saying he scored more from outside the box than C.Ronaldo has (or will). Ronaldo is a striker, CR is a winger/AM. Obviously CR will take a lot more shots from outside. Anyways ... Ronaldo has scored a whole lot more by leaveing goalies on their asses and walking the ball in as CR has scored from outside the box.

Ronaldo never had to develop the header. He always played in teams that played the ball on the ground. Man. U. crosses the ball quite a bit. So it's natural for a player of his talent to develop that skill.

The passing ??? If you ever watched him you'd know. His highlights are mostly filled with goals and dribbling because they were so overwhelming. But thanks to youtube, here are some examples.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc8mncccQLY[/ame] (nice one on min 2:38)

Very blurry ... but, look at min 2:40
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLI_fEy9ezU[/ame]

As for your reference to MJ and Babe Rught, they really don't deserve an answer.

8. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No they don't and he had that as a youth player in Portugal.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok ... he has good heading skills. I can accept that.

10. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    The discussion, per your original post:

was about who the better player is/was, not who is/was more 'complete'

First off, I doubt you'll find many highlight videos of Maradona scoring headed goals, does that make him 'less' of a legend?

Secondly, you cannot honestly rate Cristiano Ronaldo as the better dribbler of the two. Some of the close control at pace that Ronaldo shows in that video is quite a bit better than anything Ronaldo has in his locker at the moment. That's not a slight on CRonaldo either, as the Brazilian Ronaldo was quite simply unbelievable in that regard.

11. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    I didn't mention them with the intention of you responding. It was a demonstration of how people can make absurd claims based solely on opinions. There is no factual basis that R9 would "kill" BPL defenses, however, you went ahead with the assertion that he would.

12. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

This is correct, Gifted in this regard means who is more Complete. Passing ability is a GIFT, Free Kicks are a GIFT. Shooting 30 yards out is a GIFT. Heading is a GIFT.

I didn't ask "Who made more dribbles around keepers for tap in goals?"

BTW, Maradona wasn't a center striker or bulkier than 3/4th's of the players on the field.

I think Cristiano has more footskill than R9, alot of his dribbles lead to nothing and in that Dept. I give the edge to R9, but talking pure owning the ball with your feet it's hard to match CR.

13. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Here are some examples of Cristiano's flash and dribbling ability against Brazil, notice how many fouls he creates out of frustration where the defenders simply barge into him and obstruct him, I'm curious as to why defenders didn't simply use this method against R9.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3PthUZ6ck[/ame]

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some opinions are indeed more absurd than others. I think Ronaldo, in his prime, would have no problems scoring goals in the EPL back then or today. Sure it's only an opinion ... but I don't think it's a stretch. It's not like Ronaldo played 40 years ago.

16. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I started to watch the vid and saw Cristiano Ronaldo making a simple pass with a useless faint, and then losing the ball in three different plays, doing nothing extraordinary. That's when I decided to just pause it and not even try to get in this argument, because you're clearly deluded. As if defenders didn't try to stop Ronaldo at all costs, like in those goals he scored against Valencia and Compostela, trampling over everybody while maintaining incredible close control.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What? It was a friendly, and the ball got to its target. If you are going to expect a move or trick come off everytime your delusional. Might as well stop watching and enjoying Ronaldinho and Robinho play as well then.

And Ronaldo played well in that game against Brasil 2 years ago. Brasil had trouble containing him. However, in the most recent matchup, Brasil made Ronaldo look like a little school boy in a different country.

I miss Andrade :(

18. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    See look how much better he is there to how boring he looks now.

19. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    I posted the video to show how defenders simply run into him because they have no other option. Get past the "useless feint." R9 clearly capitalized in every situatioin, never lost posession, made only great passes and gave out free candy to the children in attendance, deluded?

Go back and watch those R9 vids and show me one instance in which a second or third defender came over with the sole intention of body-checking him off the ball like they're playing hockey.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What? That was only 2 years ago. He looks the same, the change happened way before that game. It happened about his 2nd and 3rd season in England. In that clip he is in his 4th or 5th.

21. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by now, do you mean this season?

Here is a vid with some amazing dribbling displays form last year. For me this demonstrates his pure mastery of the ball, it starts with some warm up freestyle but it goes to game footage don't worry.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7g_y7jQsrk[/ame]

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL ... just our of curiosity, how old are you ? Did you ever see Ronaldo play ? Ronaldo was fouled quite a bit.

And BTW, there were some pretty crappy plays by CR in your highlights against Brazil. Although he had a good game, there were many plays in there where he gave the ball away or lost the ball without being fouled. Don't get me wrong, he is an amazing player. Just find some better highlights to prove your point next time.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You mean when CR ran into the brazilian defenders at 1:10 and 3:00 ? pffff ... bad examples there.

24. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know i saw the match and Ronaldo was rubbish but even then he looked better than now.

25. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    29, yes I've seen Ronaldo play. I'm not saying R9 wasn't fouled, I'm saying in those highlight vids alot of that stuff could've been negated with a good body check.

As far as the CR/Brazil game goes, I thought that it showed my point. It showed his ability to go on long dribbles blowing by defenders, his ability to dance on the ball, split defenders and make quick decisive passes.

I could post his 40 best goals like everbody does with R9 but what point would that prove, you could probably edit a Landon Donovan vid to make him look legendary.