Crew vs. Rotating Brand of New Jersey :: Eastern Conference Semi :: Leg 1 :: 4 Nov 2018

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 110toyourleft, Nov 2, 2018.

?

Leg 1 only!

Poll closed Nov 4, 2018.
  1. Win by 2 (or more)

10.9%
  2. Win by 1

47.8%
  3. Draw

10.9%
  4. Lose by 1

4.3%
  5. Lose by 2 (or more)

4.3%
  6. Greggg sideline antics (clever touch, fisticuffs with opposing players, etc.)

2.2%
  7. Justin Meram Goal (for the Hype Tricycle brigade)

13.0%
  8. We score on a corner kick

4.3%
  9. Warm up sub Sh*thousery (pulling a Sosa)

2.2%
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking a break from watching the inept performance of the tOSU Buckeyes as they try to cough up another game to an awful opponent, let me just say this about the game tomorrow:

We already know exactly what to expect because we saw it last year, it worked, and Berhalter never changes something that worked the first time.

They're going for the 0-0 tie. We're going to have 9 guys behind the ball from the opening kick and that's how it will stay. When and if we actually try to score it will be over the Bulls press, which will be high from the get go. They will put a ton of pressure on the defense, and Berhalter will respond with - more defense.

Will it work? Who the hell knows? 3 games in a week are asking a ton from anyone, so looking for the Crew to come out running and gunning is going to disappoint, and aside from his natural tendencies in this situation he's going to figure it's impossible to ask for another90 minutes like they gave him on Thursday.

But since Berhalter is allergic to giving up away goals in this situation anyway,the whole game will be played in the Crew defensive half. Steffen will have to be great, and Sauro/Mensah/Trapp will too.

Bring along a 5 Hour Energy. You may need it to stay awake.

Jaybir, jack sticker and TrueCrew repped this.
  2. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question on mobile tickets, I can't seem to use the Ticketmaster app but the Tickets do show up thru the website. I screenshot the tickets just in case I can't connect to the website. That will work right?

3. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I disagree in part. I think we should bring along the Mylanta because we will be under siege for 90 minutes and it is going to be nerve-wracking.

Bill Archer repped this.
  4. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes. There is no difference in the image for scanning.

Not sure if this would have helped any of the scanning issues folks reported last game, but turn you phone brightness to max. Last year's Halloween playoff they were struggling to scan my phone which was quite clear and 80% brightness. I took it too 11, and then it scanned easily.

Alneri repped this.
  5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this post.

I love the Meram goal option. Has my vote.

We have Markus’ banner ready to hang up. Last week was too wet, cold, and long.

And yes, I still owe you a beer. I intend to produce and keep to my word.

So I have been sick for weeks on end with sinus infection after common cold after flu after sinus infection again. We are coming down to Columbus a day early (like last week) so we do not have to drive two hours on an early Sunday morning. I think my family are using pure will and love to attend this playoff game.

From what I have seen, posters (ones who have not been to Crew Stadium in years) are returning to our cathedral. The rational part of me acknowledges the reality of this team’s shortcomings and the games played in a short time span. Yet, this year has given me a sense of reality-bending sports experiences.

I would love to see a golazo bonanza of the likes we saw last year against NYCFC. Yet, I will gladly settle for a goal and a shutout (come on stud Steffen).

So the weather looks beautiful. Get to the lots early. Kick around a soccer ball at the megatailgate. Have a beer. Soak in these feelings. We deserve it. Regardless of the high or modest attendance numbers, we are not done yet. Not this year and not for years to come.

At least that is what Markus said after we finished putting the last program on his door.

[​IMG]

“Done?” he repeated. He yelled, “We are not done. Crew has more games to play.” And hopefully more 2018 program covers to put on his door.

pericles, negativetouch, ZipSix and 7 others repped this.
  6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I might be wrong, but I don't think they do the programs past the regular season.

7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ok, so @chr1st and @110toyourleft did their part. We're going to need @Bill Archer to start a BWP hate thread, and @hangthadj to call for some old fashioned Metroscum hate then I can do my part and make @Kyle Crew and @hardhead consider if I deserve a yellow card (probably not ;):cool: ). Then we win tomorrow.

8. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and I use calendars very differently. We played Minnesota on a Sunday, DC the following Thursday, and now NRB on Sunday.

ohiotiger, Pauncho, TrueCrew and 5 others repped this.
  9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a makeshift placeholder for the US Open Cup game. Tickets will suffice on the door with preference for MLS Cup.

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much agree.

And I also think it's the right strategy. Going up against the Supporters' Shield winner in a two-game series is a daunting task, and a wide open series against a team that scores a lot of goals (when you're a team that DOESN'T) doesn't suit us.

Plus, Berhalter remembers getting tattooed by New England in Columbus 4-2 in the first leg of the playoffs in 2014. That series was over before the second leg even started because we got run off of our home field. And while there was an argument to be made last year against Toronto in the same situation that we should have gone for the win because the Reds were missing key players, there's no such advantage for us to exploit this time around.

11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @DAK77

I got my Nordecke tickets a few hours ago. Check your email if you haven't checked yet :thumbsup:

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QR code tickets or a pdf of an actual ticket? Only QR code tix will scan.

13. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got mine too. Thanks for the heads up.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. My bad, for some reason I thought you referring only to the POs. I guess I had POs on the brain.

In terms of the actual game (our 3rd in a week!), I agree 100% with Bill. Berhalter will have us sit back and play safe for the most part. I think we will try to play over the press more than through it.

We were the only Eastern PO team to win the season series from NYRB this year (home draw & away win). They live off their press and can struggle with the bunker.

We are tired and they are fresh. Guns blazing is not the way to go. More so if Santos is out and we are weaker in possession. Play over the top to Zardes/Hansen or even Afful.

Under the circimstances, I would take 0-0 if offered.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I most certainly wouldn't. Sure, we won that game in New Jersey, but we were up 3-0 at the half after Armas (who had only been head coach for a few games at that point) went crazy and played some sort of 3 man defense that failed spectacularly. He changed back to the regular 4-2-3-1 after halftime, and Red Bull pulled back 2 goals, and very easily could have won the game, not just tied.

We need a win at home, simple as that. I will have little to no faith in winning the series if we don't win at home. I thought we had a pretty decent chance to beat DC, but beating Red Bull will require a home win. If we bunker this game, it will be shameful on Gregg's part, especially after that shameful performance vs TFC last year at home, when they were missing both Giovinco and Jozy.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good morning, everyone!

DrunkandDisorderly, chr1st and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you extra hour!

DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  18. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    May the pink donkeys play as well as Lothar Matthaus's MLS career.

pericles, chr1st and Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. We need to win.

20. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone need one for Nordecke? I have an extra.

21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    WAKE UP, PEOPLE!!

IT'S MATCHDAY!

I feel like roast beef for lunch today is appropriate.

jairadballerina, TKyle, SLSHOT01 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday morning mass.

23. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a bunch of coward talk.

We can best these ********ing scrubs. Don't bunker. Play our game. Murder the cows. Make hamburger at MAPFRE.

jack sticker, ZipSix, puttputtfc and 2 others repped this.
  24. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is it too early to start drinking? Flask during an 11:00 church service?

jack sticker, puttputtfc, Alneri and 2 others repped this.
  25. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't score on the road. Get our goals at home. Bunker in New Jersey. Win the series today.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.