Crew vs NE Revulsion (Matchday 8 | 2018-04-21 7:30 PM EDT)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Apr 18, 2018.

?

Result of 04/21 match vs NER

Poll closed Apr 21, 2018.
  1. Win by two or more goals

25.0%
  2. Win by one goal

35.7%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

10.7%
  4. Lose by one goal

7.1%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

7.1%
  6. Gyasinho Golazo Bonanza™ (worth 2 points!!)

3.6%
  7. "To suffer and to endure is the lot of Crew fans." - Crew Cat

10.7%
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This team is poor. Opposing teams have no fear of coming to Columbus and playing in front of a 3/4 empty stadium.

This season sorta sucks.

2. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pops Pipa was fantastic last night.
    Dispersed the ball well all over the field.

3. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until official news breaks this is a lost season. It’s a season in limbo and no one can get behind that. The second STC is a reality we have sell outs.
    But yes as for the team, a mess might be too extreme but dropping points over last month is very disheartening. We need another quality piece on offense. Imagine if Zardes gets injured.

4. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe 4.
    And you could make an argument that all 4 should have been wins.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    KHT

[​IMG]

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  6. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would have repped this for the NE Supporters, but that first goal was the result of Gyasi's turnover - or that was what was in my sleep deprived mind watching from my seat. Have not seen the replay because I forgot to record it.

7. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That started it, but our defense had plenty of chances to stop the chance.

Also, Pipa had some absolute top plays last night, along with some stretches of complete casualness that turned the ball over or slowed play by not noticing the best pass.

This is Pipa in a nutshell. Sometimes you get intense Pipa who is one of the best in the league.

Sometimes you get casual Pipa who seems to half-ass some plays or try to be so fancy it borders on laziness and results in a turnover.

Sometimes you get both in the same game. Last night was one of those. He had some poor touches and passes during the game mixed in with our best plays as a team. If we are going to play to our potential, he needs to be more consistent.

8. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I suspect you weren't at the game. The lower sections looked mostly full and it I thought it was a pretty damned passionate bunch. The Nordecke was rocking. This is not a poor team - although I will grant you that we looked even worse than poor against Chicago.

My opinion notes from last night -

Pipa had a good game.
    Hansen showed very well.
    I like Milton. Worthy of a nickname.
    Artur has been disappointing to me this season. Perhaps I was expecting too much.
    My apologies, but after hopefully waiting for more development, I'm now settling in on my opinion Trapp is only an average player. He is usually very solid defensively, but seldom able to contribute offensively by creating space or separating from defenders. I concede that a degree of this is his position and what he is being asked to do.
    Gyasi would be excellent backup striker for us.........his goal last night was his best of the year. I like him, just not on the hype train.
    Pedro is really creating some great things. I just wish he had the finishing we were hoping for. Overall though, I'm very pleased with his positive progression. He is adjusting to the league.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  9. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    On the goal, I'll have to go back and look, but my sense was that turnover left us out numbered and then, naturally, disorganized defensively.

On Pipa, I didn't see the lazy thing last night. Some of his mistakes (and others on the team suffer from this as well) are a result of attempting to play a very aggressive, one-touch game. There are necessarily going to be turnovers that look awful. But I will take it. When it works, its just so darn fun to watch.

10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How often does it need to work for us to stick with it? The last few matches it hasn't been working enough for me.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Disagree. He should have scored and takes too many touches before he crosses. Him and Afful made the same run a few times.

Was there a deflection on NE's first goal?

12. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It wasnt bad defending on Mensah IMHO. He started out goal side. The player dashed to the near post and was always going to get to the spot first. Mensah looked to be in good position about as tight as he could be. Didnt foul, didnt lunge, held his ground. It was a nice shot with some luck ti squirt through. I think its 80/20 on Steffen. He probably couldnt see the shot till it was on top of him though.

CybrSlydr, TRUJDUB and Grouchy repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adidas did--Earth Day. I have a feeling the stuff they used could not take a dye. Supposedly old plastic bottles and the like that were floating around in the ocean. If you believe the hype.

14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who thinks Steffen usually would have stopped both those goals? Especially the first one. It seems like he is in his own head right now.

ibrew repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, that was a really good shot. He made a couple other good saves. Look, sometimes the other guy is good.

I had no problem with the result. It was a good, enjoyable game.

Dan Milton repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I felt he should have stopped the second goal. He was probably thinking about Kahiki. Do you blame him?

17. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking the lead twice at home and not winning is a major disappointment. It was nice to get a couple goals after the goal drought the last couple outings, but not winning again at home sucked.

I thought Higuain had a sub par game. Way too many one touch flicks to nobody.

Look for another draw next week so we can get symmetrical at 3-3-3.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a question about their second goal, as I did not tape the game. It looked like the NE player had controlled the ball with a high kick very close to our defenders face. Was this the case or was it really not that close??

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I didn't think there was a foul.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team had the same design, FWIW.

21. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s shown it before but I don’t fault him. Sometimes the other team makes a play. Good example of the benefit of hitting a ball first time. Maybe with a touch Steffen can settle and anticipate the shot better but on a first time volley the advantage is the attacker if it’s on frame.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I managed to look at the replay on the Crew's site. Not super clear, but it did not look as close to the face as it did from my spot in 124. Just a good play by the other guys I'd guess.

23. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Pedro is also adjusting to the turf..he sees it up close and often

Crew Chuck35, Jaybir and hangthadj repped this.
  24. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    as are the free kicks being awarded.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This team has held the lead for a grand total of 8 minutes in April over 3 games. During that time they handed a first league win to Chicago and a terrible DC United team. They dropped points at home against a very average New England team.

It's been an exceptionally poor month.