Post-match: Crew @ Vancouver, Match 30

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Sep 16, 2017.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

A great point on the road... it just won't feel like it.

Williams was ball watching on the ball over the top, and then everyone else was ball watching as Tchani found it. Breakdown of concentration costs us a road win.

2. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    it was right there, for the taking. Our game management is awful

3. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gggg with poor subs again. Kamara was gassed with 25 min. to go. So take off Manneh, who was our most dangerous player. Who goes on? Turnover machine Meram. Even in his good games he loses possession too often. So what does he do in the final minutes? He does what he does best. Dribble into three players and lose possession.

Crew Chuck35, TRUJDUB and Kyle Crew repped this.
  4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also blame meram. Dude had at least 3 separate chances to put players in on goal the final 15 mins, and decided each time to try and beat 2 or 3 guys by himself. Someone needs to remind him this is mls, not some crap Asian WCQ agaisnt bahrain or UAE or malaysia or whoever.

CrewV Man, Crew Chuck35, TRUJDUB and 2 others repped this.
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver also got robbed by the post twice. I'm happy with the point.

Robbiegoal, TRUJDUB and Kyle Crew repped this.
  6. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    Meram absolutely needs an ego check. His lack of passing and trying to dribble through everyone is getting very old snd frustrating and he is very responsible for the last goal. Look no further than the teams twitter, facebook, Gregg on how much they hype up Meram. Its gone to his head. Very evident under the 3G leadership we do NOT know how to close games out.

As much as Vancouver hit the post its still probably a fair result.

TKyle and TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you would have told me at the beginning of the season we'd go into a good Vancouver team on an unbeaten run, score twice then see Tchani score in stoppage, I'd have taken it.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually didn't have a problem with the substitution of Meram for Manneh. Manneh did his job, we were protecting a lead, and Meram has a higher defensive work rate. While still being able to make things happen offensively. If you take Kamara out for Meram, you're either changing the formation or playing guys in odd roles.

Meram wasn't good, but I don't blame Gregg for doing it.

9. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Tchani..your Acura MOTM! Still like Tony.

Santos...does Nothing...at all.
    2 million...one assist from run of play.

Not trying to get a third goal cost the team..have seen this before...Pipa starts tapping the ball around with 20 minutes left..trying to hold on for dear life..

Manneh was the most motivated I have ever seen him.

The coaches job is still secure

ZipSix and hangthadj repped this.
  10. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    Ola was gassed. Manneh was still playing well and at full speed. Santos was doing nothing. The sub of Manneh for Meram was a mistake. And worse the ball bounced off of Meram into the goal. And, I still like Tchani.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we should play at Vancouver every week

TRUJDUB and porchlight repped this.
  12. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That was about as quality and balanced an MLS match as you'll see. Great play from both sides.

Of course, it's hard to see 2 points swept away at the last minute, but I was also of the mind that a draw in Vancouver in their form would be a good result. Probably fair from the run of play.

Agree with what was posted above...Manneh subbed off so early was a head scratcher. I liked the Crognale sub to move to the 3in the back formation (and Santos was mostly invisible). I enjoyed watching Higuain play tonight.

Manneh clear MOTM.

Tobias C, American Brummie and TRUJDUB repped this.
  13. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Also, watching on MLS Live, I thought Vancouver's broadcast team was one of the better in MLS. The fans seemed really into the match, too. I went to the away match there a few years ago and had a delightful experience. If only they could plant some grass...

TRUJDUB and Kyle Crew repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much rain, I'd guess....

15. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wasn't impressed with Manneh. Looking forward to seeing what Martinez can do next week. He's got potential.

16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually .....
    I watched in slow motion :

Crognale In no mans land so Abubakar slides over and then Jimenez and Meram don't mark Tchani

17. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree sub off Kamara and leave Manneh in.

It's good that Meram keeps his dribble but when you have a lead late you keep possession and look to combine instead of taking on multiple defenders hopefully he learns to play smarter in late gm scenarios

18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Manneh was playing defense tonight he had something to prove and he didn't looked fatigued but Kamara did. Bad sub

19. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Give Santos time he is a good player and I expect big things from him next year.

I think this only solitifies we need to resign Manneh he is good young player who is perfect for road game counters and home gm subs. But is he willing to stay if he is the #3 outside mid/winger ? He is a LW but he can play LM or LS he is just young and finding his way.

20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I like both and hope we keep and devolp them. I like our young players and roster depth in general

21. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hitting the post is no different than missing by a mile...exact same result. The Crew stopped trying to score..and Pipa lead the charge by slowing down or stopping any forward movement

22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That could be the coaches fault hard to say what they are taught and instructed but it needs improvement and I put that on GB more than the players because I don't hear him talking about that in post gm. Also Meram not passing with a late lead and starting their counter attack .... bad sub

23. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to watch wins turn into draws late in the match. Two more points that we really needed evaporate. We need Philly to pull off a win over NYRB this afternoon.

Manneh's goal and his overall performance against his former team were fun to watch. Tchani gets that last laugh in this one unfortunately.

porchlight repped this.
  24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got to the top of Vancouver's penalty area 3 times last night in the final 15 minutes. Not Pipa's fault Meram tried to beat the entire defense by himself each time instead of making passes to open players running into the box.

25. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States