Crew V Rapids (r)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Aug 11, 2002.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    (s)crew V Rapids (r)

WTF?!
    typical uninspired 2nd half from the crew. anyone disagree?
    also, was anyone impressed w/garcia in the offensive half at all? he came back well on defense, but he didn't look like that offensive left side threat we were supposed to have.
    Cunningham worshipers, I call you out too! where was he during this game when we needed a finish, like when dantes rebound left him an open south stands, oh i mean net, he just shot it into the south stands. damn.
    crap game and most you fukkers are at the thistle at least drinking to forget about it while 3stripe and i are stuck here with bad beer left over. crap, i hate indy sometimes. crap. sh!t.

2. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Presthus got nailed by another cross. He better get his butt back on the bench until next season.

Like hangthadj said, the biggest problem with Jeff is that he can't convert the golden opportunities presented to him. He missed to chances early against the MetroStars in the cup match; then misses an open net that could have changed the pace of the game. It's no use to create half-chances when you then dribble them away. Nice run into the box but didn't feed Martino to his left instead being shephered off the ball which Kramer then picked up.

Dante hustled but didn't get any positive results either. He obviously should have done better when Garcia put the ball on his haed off a corner kick. One nice shot, one nice dummy for another chance.

Garcia had his moments but the Crew seemed to play away from him. I counted maybe 3 touches in the first half (in about 15 minutes) and most of his time was spent defending. I saw some missed crosses and a nice corner kick. He also did some nice defensive work stripping the ball a couple of times and got hammered by Kingsley as a greeting into the league.

Martino had nothing. A couple of good passes, lots of lost dribbles and many horrible decisions (like shooting with Dante open to his right 8 yards from goal).

Maze, read my lips: SHOOT!

Oughton, Leitsch and McCarty had decent games. McCarty put some bite into the defense and had a nice assist to Buddle (after a nice steal off El Pibe). He was my MOTM.

A wasted opportunity as the Fire and revs lost and DC played another nail-biter, 0-0 at home against KC!

3. Jay U

Jay U New Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Columbus
    Its games like this that sometimes make me think we'll never be anything other than mediocre.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just one man's opinion, but I don't much care for seeing thread titles which use the word "screw" as a name for the Crew.

No matter how frustrated someone may be.

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I saw the first Rapids goal...

...I tell ya one thing: the benching hasn't helped Presthus at all - he's still awful on covering crosses.

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for calling out Jeff, DGA57. Too many people are busy running a train on Presthus for his mistake on the first Crapids goal but forget that other mistake Jeff made not burying that rebound. Two goal swing on those mistakes, and lots of momentum and strategy. That said, though, Jeff was Jeff. He looked dangerous and created some good opportunities.

Martino had a Cunninghamesque performance, with spots of brilliance with some questionable tactics and a couple mistakes (like the miss of a wide open Dante).

I don't think we have a mediocre team. We have a slightly above average MLS team. We have decent players that sometimes play above their potential and a few "stars"...

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad McCarty, as quoted by Craig Merz in the Columbus Dispatch regarding Chris Carrieri:

"He's a punk."

8. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Grouchy,

There is no reason to call out Jeffy because it's more of the same from him....missing chances and diving in the penalty box.

9. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I don't think he dove. On that play to Kramer's left, he fell down on his own. He just plain lost his balance and fell on his butt and watched Fraser take the ball back upfield. Sad!

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I noticed that McCarty quote too, too bad we let that punk have a goal and an assist. Gosh I hate that guy. And it may be just me, but there should never be a time where a 5'5'' guy gets a header in our box let alone, a goal. I didn't tape the game and I missed whose responsibility it was but that is just unacceptable. Strangely enough Cobi Jones had a goal for the Galaxy too, it was night of the midgets. But maybe Cobi got his goal scoring outta his system for the season before wed's match.
    Also, does anyone see Presthus gettin more time this season after coming of his line and again pulling a matador type wave at the ball. The guy is driving me nuts. Speaking of Goalies...
    Side note, Last night, I was walking with 3stripe and my parents around the Butler University campus wearing my Crew jersey when a SUV pulls up. A gentlemen asks if there was a crew game tonight and I said yes. He then mentioned that he used to play for the Crew and it was none other than David Winner, now assistant coach at Butler. At first I thought that was a good sign, but apparently it brought no luck.
    Side note two. Yes, poor decision on my original title of the thread, way too much frustration and beer in me. My bad.

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NP man, we all get that way sometimes. Appears our friend Toon fixed it anyways.

As for Winner, I met him several times while he was here. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Last I knew he was still with the Blast. Has he given it up?

And I may have this wrong, but he was the first backup/callup for like 8 teams or something. Somebody once said he had suited up for (not played for but suited up for) more MLS teams than anyone in league history.

12. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chuckie's at Butler now? Cool. I hope he does well.

He has to be one of the fans' favorites of all time. Just a hell of a great guy with the fans before and after games. I really think he got a raw deal in MLS. But he didn't bitch and moan, just kept plugging away.

13. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    In the interest of full disclosure I am a Rapids fan, and am not trolling. I came on your board looking for an explanation of why McBride didn't play last night. that was a dissapointment for Denver. I might mention that The Rapids/Anschutz/Qwest machine had been hyping all week the appearances of McBride and Mastroeni. Niether played.

Next re Carrieri, he is scoring against everyone, he really is becoming a good forward. Also, everyone hates him, thinks he is a punk, because he looked and acted like one when he came into the league. He has toned that act down for the benefit of all. Now if he would just lose the hoop earings...

I thought Presthus looked good. Carrieri was unmarked at the far post, and Henderson scored a blast, albeit near post, and some goalies would have parried it with better postion, but it was a blast.

One of your forwards (cunninham?) was putting everything high over the bar into the cheap seats. Anyway, we envy your stadium, we were lucky to get the win aned c'mon back and bring Brian McBride.

14. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    He certainly didn't "tone it down" when he pushed McCarty into the boards after he was FRIGGIN out of bounds already.

Heck, McCarty (who is as much of a hack as anyone else) said after the game that Carrieri was a punk. :mad:

I hope the Crew get to face Colorado in the playoffs. Titus, Carrieri and Palacios are due some payback for being complete punks and hacks.

15. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Two things, then I will quit: He shoved McCarty into the ad boards right in front of my seats. It was a cheap shot, but the kind that you laugh about if your team does the shoving, know what I mean.

Second, If Chris Carrieri, 5 foot 2, 112 pounds shoves you into the boards you need to rethink your weight training program.

Anyway, I think you guys got a good and exciting team, probably need to stiffen the D a little.. Hope we don't see you in the playoffs, and why wasn't McBride here last night?

16. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    McBride suffered an ankle injury caused by his friends from the MetroScum on Wednesday's Open Cup match.

Presthus has waived at three game winners in the last four games. That, plus a missed kick that gave Chicago a critical win last year at Soldier Field, has not made people happy here.

17. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Pushing when the opponent doesn't expect it and is off-balance, adds about 100 pounds to Carrieri. That's why McCarty went flying.

18. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

Thanks. And you guys got a good team. Unlucky on Saturday night.

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Cough, cough*

Well, I know I haven't posted my usual post-game thoughts... so w/o further ado.

Top Ten Observations.. coming from the home office at the bottom of a pint glass.

10. Gerry Corrie had little control during the match. He let people hack and hack and called a very loose and inconsistent match.
    09. Carrieri should have been ejected from the match after his professional foul, and thus never assisted on the GWG.
    08. Somebody buy Presthus a road map. He got lost in no-mans-land leaving the line again, and frankly could punch his way out of a wet paper bag, let alone a ball out of the box. If I Were Coach (IIWC), he'd be benched for the season.
    07. Why in the world did Mais come out for the Polish Dildo? The only thing he did was fire 1 shot way over the goal, and about nothing else in his more than generous 20 minutes.
    06. Has any figured out yet that Dante is really a 5 year old playing beehive soccer? Notice how he won't shoot unless he's on the doorstep? I counted at least 3 or 4 times he dicked around from 15 and wouldn't shoot and lost the ball on the dribble. At least 2 of the times he pulled back like he was going to shoot and then decided to dribble some more. God, how frustrating. IIWC, I'd encourage him to shoot more from outside the 6, and if he still sucks, then I'd trade his ass.
    05. Why did Buddle come in for Oughton? Why not for Dante who hadn't and never produced during the entire game?
    04. Garcia looked out of sync on the offense, but fine on D. He needs to get more time with the guys timing runs and crossing positions. I think he can do fine. His speed is deceptive... meaning, I no longer feel he's as fast as I first did. Sure he's scrappy and can run, but he doesn't have the pace of Jeff or West, just short, making his legs look like they're running faster.... like speedy gonzalez.
    03. Greg is a wanker! I was wondering if he'd ever coach above U-14 soccer before this, especially after I heard him say "That's OK. Nice try Freddy!" from a field mike. He sounded like he was consoling an 8 year old. Give me a break!
    02. Jeebus we need to get healthy fast. We have too many peole injured and look at the formations we're playing. Garcia subbed into the left back position! Bake, Harksie, Perez are all injured, Denton as well now. Suddenly we've lost our "depth".
    01. And remember, no matter what the commissioner tells you, there is no clean soccer in Denver... NONE!

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No offense Kraut, but if we are gonna jump on Dante for dribbling around the box and not shooting, lets get cunningham on that too. Dante didn't have his best game ever by any means, but he is definately more than a "beehive" soccer player. Did you notice Cunny's best chance came from a rebound froma Dante blast that he took outside the six as you suggested. Unfortunately Cunny put it over.
    As for Greg not subbing for Dante and instead takling out oughton, well I'm suprised you didn't know that more forwards equals more goals. And with Dante and Cunny still in with Buddle, thats three forwards. Quanity is the key. We all disagree but we have seen this to be Greg's style Numerous times.
    Speaking of shootting outside the box though, how about Oughton. The past couple games he has been one of teh few willing to pull the trigger. Some efforst are less than satisfactory, but its good to see. Hey, Mais!!!! Remember when you used to do that?! Remeber that gaol in the Meadowlands last August?! I don't know why Mais refuses to shoot anymore. It's frustrating though. He can score. Weird.

Oh and back to Winner for a breif moment. I think he's officially done with teh Blast and everything but Butler Soccer. There is no mention of him on the Blast site, and he was driving his Aunt around showing her the Campus. So I guess this may be his first year as an assistant at Butler. Best of Luck to him, definately.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I may be wrong, but didn't McBride just come down on it wrong after going up for a header or was it really the result of a typical for Metros tackle?

22. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    They blend together after a while. I thought that he was hammered for most of the match based on what Dwight was saying. That particular play may have been as you said. Maybe if they hadn't hammered him all night his ankle wouldn't be weak enough to twist when he came down wrong. Who knows!

23. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to find out if Bakes' injury is listed on MLSnet.com. What I found was a little surprising:
    http://www.mlsnet.com/library/2001/injury.html

Mamadou Diallo for the Metrostars is Probable with a strained hamstring - L while

Mamadou Diallo for the Revolution is Probable with a hamstring strain - L.

I guess the only good thing I can say about the league's website is that they spelled his name correctly...

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    thats effin hilarious.