Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy watching Serena play tennis. That woman won a goddamn open while pregnant, for ********’s sake.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.statesman.com/sports/so...as-message-for-austin/NwptjGpZAhG71zREBzzwQN/

Crew MLS owner Precourt has message for Austin

Columbus Crew SC operator/investor Anthony Precourt sent the following statement to the American-Statesman ahead of the important Austin City Council meeting on Thursday when votes will be conducted on two resolutions involving a potential stadium at McKalla Place.

PRECOURT STATEMENT

As we enter into this important week with regard to bringing Major League Soccer to Austin, I am incredibly encouraged by the positive momentum and support we’ve received from this community. I am also grateful for the work and leadership of City Council and City Staff. This has been a collaborative effort since October 2017, and I believe we find ourselves aligning around a beneficial partnership between City and Club.

Austin is ready for Major League Soccer, and for its first major league team, that represents all four quadrants of the city: North Austin, East Austin, South Austin and West Austin. Whether you were born in Austin or have moved here recently, this team is for everyone.

Our team continues to work exhaustively with the City to iron out the details of our proposal so that we can become Austin’s first division soccer club.

The June 28th City Council meeting represents a critical next step in making this vision a reality. We are hopeful that Austin’s leaders will move forward in working with Precourt Sports Ventures to bring Major League Soccer to Austin at McKalla Place.

There is so much more excitement to come — we can’t wait.

Best regards,

Anthony

J. Anthony Precourt

Precourt Capital Management, LLC

Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First division? That Epstein fellow is going to crush JAP.

DAFCrew and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I went back and forth on her. It's not her fault, but for a time, she was even way TOO dominant, and it made things excessively boring.

It's not unlike how utterly disinterested I (and many others) were when it was all Rog and Rafa winning all the damn time. But my goodness the greatness of those three, on their own terms was undeniable.

But it did make it rather...uninteresting.

ohiotiger repped this.
  5. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    And every time their little turf war pops up I can't help but keep thinking of what the folks at USL HQ must think of all this. Finally NASL is out of the picture, and almost immediately you have an MLS I/O pretty much openly treating the USL with contempt.

6. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    does... does austin actually have 'quadrants' like this that people refer to by cardinal directions? Or is Precourt's knowledge of Austin so limited to SXSW that he doesn't know his way around town and can only speak generically?

also, can we lay off the tired debate about whether women's sports are worth watching and stay on topic?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. ohiotiger

ohiotiger Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Stay on topic? You must be new around these parts.

russ, TKyle, don gagliardi and 2 others repped this.
  8. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    listen, member since 2017, I'm not.

but the debate about whether girls are good at sports is an especially obnoxious one. especially since we have some real news going on these days.

9. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    It's always annoyed me that you have two world class sports towns like Philly and especially Boston operated in the way that they are.

I remember when the league started up, I thought the Revs would have Brazilian, Portuguese, Italian, and ahem Irish stars and they would be a huge, huge team year in year out. And instead they're like a soccer equivalent of TJ Maxx. The worst part is they could *still* be that team, even at Foxboro.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No.

Yes.

No.

ohiotiger repped this.
  11. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree completely. We need to keep the discussions to more relevant topics like old video game consoles and who has the best fried bologna sandwiches.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    There's no debate there.

13. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And Women’s soccer has more eye candy then a few glimpses of the crowd

Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most message board statement in this thread so far.

What does he win, hang?

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Reading Precourt's letter I immediately thought of how PSV treated LTA. I wonder if the folks in Austin are aware of the anti-Latino history there?

17. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not a Cristiano fan?

18. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I vote for Bill calling someone Mango.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This argument looks even dumber - regardless of the ultimate result in 53 minutes - given what's happening right this second.

It's like you haven't been paying attention to the much greater level of general competitiveness and parity since about 1998 or so.

21. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A fan yes, Do I look at him as eye candy most certainly not.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who has not read Bill's piece on the front page, it is great stuff.

23. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yep. Plenty of fans have tried to share their experiences with PSV on social media and twitter. This is usually met with one of the following responses:

“stop crewsplaining”
    “people in Columbus think they know about our Latino groups”
    “Oh look, people in Columbus care about Latinos now”
    “Precourt will proove himself to us”
    “People from Columbus shouldn’t interfere with telling Austin people how to think”.

So that old saying about history and repeating it.