Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a tough one. I want the USMNT to make their needed overhaul/turnaround, and I have confidence in Gggg. But (despite Hang’s opinion), I’d hate to see him leave the Crew.
    I’s be ok with it if I knew that GBS would be the new coach. That’d never happen while Hamfist McQueso is the owner. Question is: will there be new ownership before USSF/Earnie Stewart makes their decision? Hard to say. One rumor was that the coach wouldn’t be named until after the ML$ season.

2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a related note, I had a dream the other night that ESPiN was reporting that the USMNT coaching position was down to Gggg and..... Julie Foudy!
    Not sure what I ate before I went to bed...

3. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Missed much of the last 3 days. But want to add to the most important topic of the week - Swensons.

Nothing wrong with Skyway, but I miss, I crave me some Swensons.

Was in Cali recently and had In-n-Out. Good stuff, but nothing compared to Swensons. Back in the day, the one on 59 in Stow was a regular stop.

They talk about the Freshman 15, for me it was more like the Grad school 50 (exagerating slightly) all owed to Swensons. Love the onion rings.

Anybody been to Bob's on East Ave in Akron? Greasy hamburger goodness too.

#SaveTheCrew

Ch(Elsey), ohiotiger and Timon19 repped this.
  4. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Bill Archer, SLSHOT01 and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The Rugby World Cup is in France? I thought that was 2023.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Skyline, probably.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You, sir, are a gentleman.

In-n-Out is decent. But only decent.

I really try to avoid Kenmore.

8. PSHSSoccerDog3

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA (Women’s) World Cup

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The US and A Couple Other Countries Invitational?

Robbiegoal repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if they do what they did in their last tournament....

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Even if they shit the bed, this is basically what the tournament is anyway.

12. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boring?
    Can we quit pretending that women’s sports are as interesting to watch as men’s?
    Go ahead and bash me for not being PC in this PC hippy tree hugging era we live in, but you know it’s true.

13. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They may not be as exciting and athletic as the men, but at least we have a chance of winning!

TrueCrew and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends. While I mostly agree with you, sometimes a good matchup is just as fun to watch--if not more. I recall watching Katie Smith with tOSU go up against Texas and Andrea Lloyd (they would later be teammates) many years ago. Well worth the price of admission. Some sports are fun too. I also enjoy gymnastics, lacrosse, and volleyball. But I'll admit to being not as enthralled by women's soccer much of the time.

russ repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Okaaaay...and?

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Volleyball (both sexes) is great. The United States is a huge failure that there isn't more support for it.

BeIN will occasionally show the Euro leagues, which are filled with Americans. The women's leagues over there are pretty damn good. It's so rare, though, that it's ever even on.

When I visited Turkey frequently, it was on TV all. the. time. They have a HUGE league there (again, not a small number of Americans). Good quality. And the women's league was genuinely more popular. Might be because the Turkish women's team itself is quite good, and tons better than the men, as I recall. Women's volleyball might genuinely be 3rd after men's basketball and (of course) soccer in that country.

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furthermore, there's simply no proof that he's accomplished anything of substance other than producing an error-ridden 189 page proposal that no one has publicly stated they support.

Corporate sponsors in the Austin business community? Zip.
    A temporary place to play in Austin while a stadium is being built? Nope.
    An even modest level of community support for the team, you know like through season ticket deposits or large numbers of people showing up at MLS2ATX event? Not even close.

Maybe most importantly, I've heard nothing that makes me think he's modified his initial proposal in any way to make it more palatable to the City Council. They may vote next Thursday to begin negotiations with him, but note the wording: begin negotiations over a stadium. Again, there's no reason to believe that the City Council is very excited about PSV's offer, as-is, or that the negotiations with PSV will be fast and easy.

I do assume the city council will approve a process by which they agree to start negotiating with PSV. I'd love for that not to be the case, but honestly, I don't see why Austin wouldn't at least talk to him, to see if they can come up with an agreement that's good for the city. What really matters next Thursday is the rfp vote. There won't be any stadium deal until after any and all proposals submitted via rfp are considered. And that'll take months to accomplish. With no guarantee that PSV will come out on top (especially as the fall election gets closer).

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much more.

Hesmer was the luckiest SoB; Sub-par keeper with a stellar ten in front of him and Sigi on the sideline.

Robbiegoal, Draghignazzo and hardhead repped this.
  19. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNBA and women’s basketball is painful enough to cause my eyes to bleed.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won’t bash you for not being PC, I’ll bash you for being an idiot.

jayd8888, soundermiki, TrueCrew and 4 others repped this.
  21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Interesting take, though I wouldn't say sub-par. He was in the last sloshy stirrings of an era where American keepers basically put us on the map. Would be interesting to consider where he'd grade in our current crop where we have to read about the likes of Hamid and Bono.

Timon19 and the_rickler repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Note to self to try this Swensons when I visit Ohio. (I make a pilgrimage to White Castle whenever I'm in Chicago.)

There's an In-N-Out right across the street from Avaya. I vow only to eat there after a Quakes victory. This year I've been losing lots of weight. :)

ibrew, TKyle and Crewmudgeon repped this.
  23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dear God...

TRUJDUB and ohiotiger repped this.
  24. Sliotar

Sliotar Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 24, 2017
    http://dcist.com/2018/06/is_dc_united_ready_for_its_close-up.php

Great summary on the opening of DC United's new place, featuring such red flag phrasing as:

-Pared-down stadium design, promoted instead as "industrial chic."
    -Sun points directly into cameras...possibly inhibiting ability for national broadcasts.
    -Team frugality has league office worried stadium will be empty after opening.
    -And, of course, obligatory "billionare interested in majority stake", valuing team and stadium at $500 million. (LOL).

Feels like some of this could (will?) happen to any stadium built in Austin, and/or Columbus. Getting prime land and go-ahead to build a first-class stadium is one thing, who pays for that quality is quite another.

Robbiegoal, Bill Archer and hardhead repped this.
  25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally disagree with you and Timon (shocker).

I enjoy watching the women's team more than the men's team. They are better. Not more athletic or faster, but smarter. Our women's players are world class, the men are not.

They play together more, move the ball better, and have better spirit.

In footy, the beauty of the game is more often about skill and teamwork and movement than a moment of athleticism or power (though thosexare nice too). For me at least. Lady Nats produce the former more often.

As for the Timon's point, they have been playing WCs since 1930. Eight teams have won it. Italy is not there. Argentina & Uruguay have almost no shot. Neither does England.

That leaves Germany, Brazil, Spain, & France with Belgium or Croatia a long shot. 6 teams.

Women's = USA, Germany, Japan, France, and Brazil have shots. England & Canada as well. That is seven. Not much difference.

To push it further:

Men = 20 Cups: Brazil 5, Germany & Italy 4 each (65% with 3 teams); Argentina & Uruguay 2 apiece; England, Spain, & France 1.

Women: = 7 cups: USA 3, Germany 2, Norway 1, Japan 1.

First 7 men's: Brazil 2, Uruguay 2, Italy 2, Germany 1.

Not much difference.

stanger and hardhead repped this.