Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    A couple of things to consider for the ad...

The comments from the Columbus partnership in Daniel Salazar's article about 6 weeks ago about Precourt not engaging Columbus business. I liked the fact that he had to get the Columbus editor of a sister publication to give a statement. Maybe mention Precourt struggles to get corporate support in a city with the headquarters of 5 fortune 500 companies.

Also, in the same article... Greeley was quoted about Mapfre and Acura, not being us companies... Well, Columbus presence... Also, league sponsor Heineken and Audio have no manufacturing in the US.

Make a component of the ad his lack of engagement in Columbus and Austin.

2. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    One other thing... While the ad will be addressed to the people of the city of Austin, MLS owners/BOG and Garber are also part of the audience.

Maybe:

While the goal of #savethecrew is to keep the Crew in Columbus, both Austin and Columbus deserve better than PSV.

BringBackGino and DAFCrew repped this.
  3. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont have much money but I'll throw whatever I can scrape together out of my budget to help out. If somebody has a link to wherever the moneys is collected....(PayPal, whatever).

4. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel stating "Austin Deserve Better than PSV " as part of the add would show that it's not simply a jilted ex trying to get back.

Also, is there an easy way to get World Cup overnight ratings by media market? It'd be real interesting to compare the two cities. Cbus has always ranked well.

TRUJDUB and DAFCrew repped this.
  5. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheRealBilbao brings up CP. it may be a good idea to check with Fischer privately to see if he thinks this helps, hurts or has no impact on their position with MLS. It satisfies our need to “do something” to help, but if AF feels confident in what’s happening on our side, behind the scenes, it may be wiser to stand down and do nothing.

We all know Donny Garrrrrrrberrrrr has a particularly sensitive ego.

6. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    #16706 TheRealBilbo, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Don't make it about Garber. Make it about Precourt's failings in Columbus. Make it about the similarities between what he did in Columbus and what he's doing in Austin.

The goal is to make Precourt's continued ownership of the Crew unpalatable to MLS.

It would also be useful to compare Precourt's proposal to the stadium deals in Cincinnati and Nashville. Austin deserves better.

The other thing to mention is the similarities between Austin and Columbus... Population, demographics, flagship state university, craft beer... Precourt's offer wouldn't even buy city council a round of PBRs let alone Austin's famous craft beer.

Ch(Elsey) and Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  7. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Another thing... Don't use the word liar. Talk about broken promises. Precourt is not a man of his word.

This isn't a jilted lover very thing... This is a crazy ex girlfriend.

8. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    PaPal will work for me.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then lying, lowlife, scum sucking, bowl floating sack of crap might be a bit too much?

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any response? As much as I appreciate the support among this group for placing an ad in Austin, we're - by nature of this site - a pretty disorganized bunch. #STC has been honing its capacity to do stuff like this for months now, plus, they have received some funding from merch sales, BrewDog, etc.

The ad is a great idea; what better way to undermine PSV in Austin than to use Precourt's (etc all) words against him, showing how deceitful he is. If our financial backing can help make this happen, great! But I get the sense that #STC has the skill set to pull this off. If they buy into the idea, of course.

11. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the court of public opinion, the truth is not an absolute defense.

12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I messaged Morgan Hughes on Twitter yesterday and haven't gotten a response.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I resemble that remark.

14. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Honestly, I'd ask everyone to please respect it if the guys organizing STC didn't want to get involved in this. Lobbying people within Austin is controversial and they've repeatedly indicated that they don't want to go in that direction.

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut says that STC would not want to participate, but I am wrong often.

Sometimes you have to go balls to the wall, though.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Then they don't need to put their names to it.

17. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I said.
    1. Over on BS - https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/crew-to-austin-in-2019-maybe.2075321/page-665#post-36738115 … There's a lot of support and committed money to purchasing an Ad in the Austin Statesman to counter Precum's ad - pretty much listing all the lies he's told Columbus and ask them to not take him at his word.

2. Is there any way to get STC or would they want to get involved?

18. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea. Just a straightforward comparison of what other teams have paid to get their stadia built vs Precouts plan could be really simple and powerful. Something like:

Cincinnatti:
    Land sale...................... $X,000,000
    Taxes paid.................... $X,000,000
    Community benefits.... $X,000,000
    TOTAL........................ $X,000,000

Nashville:

Land sale...................... $X,000,000
    Taxes paid.................... $X,000,000
    Community benefits.... $X,000,000
    TOTAL........................ $X,000,000

Austin:

Land lease................................... $1
    Taxes paid................................... $0
    Community benefits................... $0
    TOTAL..................................... $1

zman31 repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that different than the "Dear Austin" video, is it?

Shawn Collins and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16720 Ch(Elsey), Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Yes. That has been nagging me.

Edit: Listen. Bottom line is that I am sure even if STC is not explicitly involved that they would promote, clap, and whatever other positive thing goes along with implicit approval.

I know we have enough really smart and skilled people in our ragtag group to get this done. And by my estimates at least enough money to do a half page? Though again what do those numbers next to the x mean?

I would offer up my services, but I am not skilled in remembering what Fratass said nor am I skilled in visual design. My two cents is in the next 24 hours, those of you skilled in memory, remember all of the lies that grind your gears the most. Because I bet those ones are the most damning. And I know each one of you has at least a few quotes/lies in mind because you guys are some of the most passionate fans I have ever had the pleasure to communicate with.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KCbus repped this.
  22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how that article bends over backwards to try and exonerate Precum...

23. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in for $300. Tell me what I need to do.

24. ohiotiger

ohiotiger Member

Oct 23, 2017
    This twitter thread has a lot of good material for the ad. You'll have to go to Twitter to see all the tweets, but it has a bunch of Precourt's lies and the dates for them.

Also, once enough money is raised for the ad, thoughts on donating whatever remains to the SaveTheCrew peloton?

https://yourpelotonia.org/profiles/public-team-profile?UserKey=649676

25. BringBackGino

BringBackGino Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2018
    Worthington, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update

I'm setting up a Square Cash "cashtag" for donations, kind of like a Paypal Money Pool. I will have the details tomorrow. You don't need an account to make a donation. You can donate through the website or the Square Cash app.

My thought is that we roll as long as we have enough for half a page ($1630), but let's try to get to a full page ($3000). It's just more powerful. There are also 2/3 at $2160 and 3/4 at $2430. These are off the 2017 print rates posted earlier.

A quick count of numbers pledged shows we are already at $1800! If you want to be involved, donate what you can. If you have time but not money, that's fine, too. We need help getting the content together. Contributions in any form are greatly appreciated.

Our hands are tied for the publication date: "Print display ad deadline is Friday at 5pm, seven days prior to publication." So, we have to deliver the ad and the money by this Friday, 6/22, to be in the 6/28 edition.

BTW I'm making an effort to be on time or early about things. If we can get this done Thursday PM, or even Friday AM, that would be great.

I am fine with donating the rest to the peloton.