Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Nobody does anything unless there's something in it for them.

svc641 repped this.
  2. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess my season ticket wouldn't count. And if someone doesn't believe that I'd buy a season ticket in spite of being here in Chicago, they are wrong.

Draghignazzo and shoplifter repped this.
  3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. I do not live as far away as you do; you have me "beat" by some miles.

I pledged four seats since my girl will be three and my boy will be five next year. As I have wrote on here, I was already thinking towards buying four STHs (currently have three, she is still free this season!), but I become a bit sad thinking about what may not be.

I saw Arace gave the pledge some love/press. Good for him.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Pluto's moon?

TKyle, Bill Archer and shoplifter repped this.
  5. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monster Manual II was pretty great...

Attached Files:

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

....although I've always thought she bore a striking resemblance to Sharon Mitchell, and if you know who that is, shame on you.

russ and Grouchy repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you assign altruism then?

8. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bruce Hooley and Chris Spielman were talking about the pledge and what it really means on their radio show this morning on 105.7. Spiels made a comment that he would sign the pledge and become a season ticket holder but didn't know how much a season ticket cost. He also thought that about 25% of people who pledge would actually follow through with it. I think that might be a little low, but wouldn't be surprised if the number was around a 50% conversion rate. Regardless, 50% of 20,000 pledges is a pretty good number as a starting point.

Jaybir, Draghignazzo and TKyle repped this.
  9. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ditto. I also pledged.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    "Assign"? I did not know an abstract concept like altruism could be assigned.

Anyway, if one believes that there are other sources and measures of "value" than money and that actions are motivated by SOMETHING, altruism as it is commonly defined becomes something of a rainbow-farting unicorn that is really hard to reconcile.

I'm trying to present this as uncynically as possible, but obviously I'm not good at that.

Draghignazzo and svc641 repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given previous numbers of season ticket holders, a number between 25 and 50% seems realistic.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13663 kgilbert78, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Fair enough. I tend to disagree with you on this, but it is consistent with other values you have espoused.

BTW, I think I was thinking of "assign" in the following manner:

"to fix or specify in correspondence or relationship"

or

"to ascribe as a motive, reason, or cause especially after deliberation"

Or, it could be that I just think weird...

13. Feraligatr19

Feraligatr19 Member

United States
    Dec 6, 2017
    Hold up, are there actually 20,000 pledges so far??

14. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this instance my guess would be around 60-65% conversion rate. Just becasue of the cuase, the stroy line, the commitment to keep the team here. I want to think it would be higher and maybe it would be in 2019. But would likely drop off a little in 2020 unless everyone has a fantastic time, a new stadium is in the works, , the team is winning, new ownership jumps in with both feet - the perfect storm and we are selling out night after night.

I pledged for 3 and I meant it (I may actually do 4). Said it to my ticket rep right when this saga began - Keep the team here and I'm for season tickets.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  15. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I would imagine the real issue is the number of people who would end up getting season tickets who will have never heard of this pledge thing. My guess is, assuming the team sticks around through at least 2019, and assuming they do so with new, local owners, the number of people who get season tickets who didn't sign the pledge and possibly didn't even know its existence will outnumber those who did.

bleedyellowandblack and Minnman repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    This begs the question, is Pluto a planet?

17. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would have sworn that's what I heard on the radio, but I'm not finding anything to actually back that up.

18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FAKE NEWS!!!!!!!!!

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You may be thinking in German (seriously). I can see that construction happening if you think partly in German or a similar language.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You go have a seat in the naughty chair, mister.

Draghignazzo, russ and kgilbert78 repped this.
  21. Feraligatr19

Feraligatr19 Member

United States
    Dec 6, 2017
    I did a very very cursory look around the interwebz for a number, but didn't see anything. I would imagine that if they end up hitting a very solid number of pledges, STC will announce that at some point. What the specific number is that would make them announce, I'm not really sure. 10,000? 20,000? But whatever it is, it helps serve as more good news, could get even more people to pledge, etc.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does get in my head from time to time. I recall once answering a comment of my mom's, not long after I'd returned from my semester overseas, by saying "you have right" instead of "you are right".

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to imagine that the conversation rate will be greatly affected by the nature of the way new leadership takes over, and how well they manage that transition and leverage it to generate a honeymoon period of excitement.

Whoever these people are, if they knock it out of the park, if BrewDog is part fo the ownership group, say, if some sort of creative incentives to buy season tickets are involved, if there's a real stadium deal to announce, hell, there could be a level of excitement about the future of the franchise that wouldn't have been equaled for many years, if ever (especially if we're still near the top of the Eastern Conference standings when the news breaks).

Or not. The details will matter a lot here. New ownership = an opportunity to relaunch the franchise. But only if that opportunity is taken advantage of.

Draghignazzo and ohiotiger repped this.
  24. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The only concrete number that I could find was from an Arace article that stated there were 5,000 pledges as of midnight on Friday.