Crew to Austin in 2019..(Maybe)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If so MLS should step in and protect us. Clearly AP is a business man and he knew it was cheaper to buy us and move to Austin rather than get a expansion team in Austin

superdave repped this.
  2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus there is ample evidence to show that a burgeoning sports league can host two teams in Ohio. Of the three cities, Columbus is the only one really growing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas#United_States

If the league does this, and has two years warning, and there is a leadership group willing to stave off disaster, this should be Austin expansion/relocation + "expansion" to Columbus. Let the local leaders step in.

KidFlash and Tobias C repped this.
  3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    All good points, my concern is that we would come back only to find the doors to re-entry to MLS locked shut. From the league's perspective, they probably view a dozen markets ahead of us right now, 13 apparently now counting Austin. No, I'd think it would be more likely to see us resurface in Peter Wilt's nascent NISA (which, frankly, might just be a helluva lot of fun) or the USL (which I've followed pretty closely this year and I love what they're achieving, and no, I'm not only referring to FCC).

What a night, haven't slept a wink. Thanks for that, Aces.

5. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im still a little bit in denial right now. I always knew this was a very real possibility but have usually given Precourt the benefit of the doubt. Is it not possible that this is all political posturing.....our "attempt" to get government help with a new stadium, bur at the end of the day we can still afford to do it ourselves. If these reports are true.....whos to say we wont bring on these additional investors to make a stadium happen (because these people clearly do exist).

Also, how much more relevant and desirable is Austin of a market that it makes sense to move us there. Maybe im missing something but Austin seems to be a city with a very similar profile to Columbus. Similar size cities, Both are state capitols where the sports scene is dominated by a massive university. Theres already a USL expansion team in the works there.

...but on the flip side....MLS may plan on bringing in Cincy and/or Detroit, thinking they can sufficiently soak up the majority of fandom in the region......and it may be a reason why there hasnt been much hype around San Antonios actual MLS expansion bid, while there was no such bid for Austin (maybe MLS and Precourt have been planning this for sometime).....and a new Texas team can help stimulate the rivalries with Houston and Dallas.

I dont know. Im just grasping here. What I do know is that the reports say were going to Austin IF we cant get our stadium built. Im gonna nervously wait til I hear more about our stadium proposals and all that before I 100% freak out.

Living in Northwest Ohio ive never had any connection to Cincinnati so i wont be making that jump. If we do move away, I guess ill just move my fandom down the soccer pyramid, and hope for the rumored USL d2 Cleveland team and pray for an eventual USLD3 Toledo team.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's another thing: Columbus is so much better for an Ohio team than Cleveland or Cincy. Columbus competes with OSU and the Blue Jackets. Cincinnati competes with the Reds, Bengals, AND a big part of their fan base are UK and Louisville basketball fans. Cleveland has the LeBrons, the Indians, and the Browns. If a team goes to the other city, you know Cleveland people don't travel to Cincy and vice-versa.

chr1st repped this.
  7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Amazing really.

Couple of bar bills and some podcast appearances.

An army of quislings created to shoot down any dissent

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Made my thoughts known.

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #59 cleazer, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Instead of pooling our money to buy the team (since apparently he's not interested in selling), can we pool our money to hire Boba Fett instead? Disintegrations allowed.

okay, maybe no disintegrations either, just freeze the guy in carbonite

chr1st, zanycrew, ZipSix and 3 others repped this.
  10. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously though, there's only one thing that could save the Columbus Crew, and thats the soccer fans of Austin pooling together and saying they'd love to support an MLS expansion team, but would refuse to support a relocated Crew.

Austin fans, any help you could give us would be appreciated.

StatesideSoccer repped this.
  11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???
    The article said an offer by locals to buy the team has already been rejected.

And the Quakes got their team back before the expansion fee was $150M.

Unless the league waives that fee for the Columbus, we're never getting them back.

StatesideSoccer, djtrinidad and hardhead repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch Trapp look at European options this winter.

For me, it is slowly sinking in that I've likely been to my last Crew game--and, as a corollary, perhaps my last US game. For the Nats will never return to Columbus.

I'm contacting my ticket guy for options. Still undecided if I will go to any home playoff game or not. I will not support a lame duck team. Period.

For those that do go to any home playoff game I have a thought. No banners, no cheering, no noise. Dead silence. Except the anthem of course.

ibrew repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't. And I will not support Philly (my home town) either. Crew or nothing. And it looks like nothing in a landslide.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protect us? They probably set this up.

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So, one last grasp thought I had last night when tossing and turning at 3am went back to the Hunts. We know Precourt is on the expansion committee. What power within the league, if any, does Clark or Dan have now with Dallas. Probably very minimal. But if they somehow got a few people together to make this move difficult for Precourt at the league level, could that pump the breaks a little?

I assume that a voting committee of owners would have to approve any move. It's not like Austin is the biggest media market in the country. Could Clark and Dan look back and think to themselves, "This ********in dweeb. Let's make this difficult for him."

I doubt it, but it popped in my head.

Ch(Elsey), TRUJDUB and Tobias C repped this.
  16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    If that was the case I doubt the Hunts would have agreed to the clause in the contract about keeping the team in Columbus 10 years except for Austin when he purchased the team - this was set up from the day he purchased the team. We all saw it coming, nobody just wanted to fully admit/embrace the idea.

17. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How do I get my money back for 2018 tickets? I'm serious.....who is going to support this team next year after getting effed over by ownership?

Crew Cat repped this.
  18. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I'd much rather go through this forum and find all the posts from people about how he is a much better owner than the Hunts and how glad they are he bought the team.

Crew Cat and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the idea of a lame duck year does seem to be a very odd one

Seriously, why wait. If he really wants to leave and his mind is made up, just ******** off right now. Don't waste our time next year.

Crew Cat, Draghignazzo and porchlight repped this.
  20. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wore my winter coat for the first time today since... Well, I know exactly when. Found this in the pocket. 20171017_075052.jpg

21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    If it happens, hopefully they'll be branded the Out Clause Outlaws throughout the league. Hell, just name them OCOFC, IDGAF.

22. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To be fair, this isn't necessarily true. There are big time players who are meeting this week to determine what to do. I can also confirm the columbud counsel has tried multiple times to buy the team. AP said no.

23. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has anyone else noticed that some of the players seemed less happy this year? Just the looks on their faces? Particularly Trapp and Meram? I thought for sure Justin wanted to leave the team, but now it seems we have found the reason why: Justin is pissed that the team is going to leave Columbus.

Also, note that Higuain only signed a one-year deal. So he's a Columbus guy too.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grasping at straws. Which I get. The league never liked us but was "forced" to take us as we were the only city that came even close to getting the number of season ticket deposits that "guaranteed" a team.

Ironically, Austin is similar in many ways to Columbus. A smaller market in a state capital dominated on the sports scene by a massive state university and its football program. They'll have a "newness" bump, but long term? We shall see. I think he'll run into the same issues.

Tobias C and Chesco United repped this.
  25. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good info.
    Are you saying there's a chance?