Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why a local utility would find a jersey sponsorship to be appealing. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it's not exactly a big, free market when it comes to choosing an electric or gas utility provider. I mean, you can choose to source electricity from another supplier, for example, but it's still AEP that you deal with in the end. Or so it seems to me. I've explored choosing another supplier, but it's never made much financial sense to do so. Columbia Gas and AEP have, essentially, regulated monopolies in this area. What would they gain by a jersey sponsorship?

2. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a fair point but I would guess their marketing has less to do with "where do I get my electricity from" and more to with "I would like to choose electricity to power my home/stove/industrial building/car/water heater et al" than other forms of energy.

3. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve often wondered this myself.
    Glad that big companies like Columbia Gas are willing to spend dough in the community, but not sure what they really gain for having, as an example, the “AEP Power Pavilion” named after them at Huntington Park. They are sort of a monopoly, as Minnman alluded.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My cynical older brother who spent 40 years in corporate law used to say it was all about selling stock, not product.

But call it corporate good will or call it community mindedness or.whatever, everybody has a vested interest in burnishing their corporate image.

Draghignazzo, TrueCrew, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  5. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Columbia Gas doesn't sponsor the team in some way, I will be lowering my thermostat this winter and all subsequent winters by 2 degrees. I hope you all join me in this and we'll show those greedy corporate bastards.

/s

6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would doubt they will be jersey sponsor (I could be wrong). But stadium naming might be possible. But as stated above, it is often about being good corporate citizen, and it's about building brand, of which being public traded co is also about attracting investors.

Tobias C repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the real question is whether, if Columbia Gas does sponsor the stadium, you'll turn your thermostat UP five degrees out of gratitude.

WhiteHartShame, catfish9 and Tobias C repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if Mrs KG has anything to say about it... We run at 65 most of the winter and 75 in the summer.

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask First Energy Stadium.

Tobias C and Minnman repped this.
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely true. I mean, AEP was one of the leading financial supporters of the Scioto Mile project (in the $5-10M range). Columbia Gas gave somewhere between $500K-$1M. A stadium naming deal falls into that same kind of category.

Tobias C repped this.
  11. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! 75 degrees in the winter, 105 in the summer.

I still shave my head with Barbasol cream (with aloe). I support the team sponsors when I can.

It comes back to what you said earlier, it's not about getting customers necessarily. But image, awareness, share price, etc. I don't get why public utilities or healthcare providers become sponsors at this level otherwise. The folks that support the team can't really chose to use their services. I much prefer sponsors like Pepsi, Barbasol, Marlboro and Tide. Products that I can chose to use and would if they sponsored my team. When my indoor squad was sponsored by Rooster's we spent a lot of money there. I'm still a Barbasol customer. I priced Mapfe insurance but it just didn't work out. I am locked in to my health insurance provider, so if Ohio Health winds up on our jersey I can't switch.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEP also sponsors a section in Nationwide Arena as well as when the Jackets are on the power play.

13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So hypothetically speaking....if they end up stadium naming rights... what do we then call it...The Gas House (thinking that wouldn't be socially acceptable)? The Furnace? Turn up the heat!

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My cynical old man, who is coming up on 40 years as a financial advisor, says that a company putting their name on a stadium is the first of the death knells. Something about the hubris involved and pride coming before the fall.

I somewhat call bullshit on this particular theory of his (though the older I get the more right he is about most things), and I hope he's wrong because my company recently - within the past year or so - signed a 25-year deal to put our name on an NBA arena. And then bought our biggest competitor who sponsors both a NASCAR race and team. That's a lot of hubris, if you ask my old man.

Draghignazzo and Bill Archer repped this.
  15. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    So, what your saying is, does anyone need a copy of your resume?

16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always looking for the next set of problems that I'll be paid handsomely to solve.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  17. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    We all know who controls the thermostat!

18. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This begs an interesting question
    (Just seeing if you’re paying attention, Timon!) of what would happen if the Crew’s owners’ “other” team plays in First Energy Stadium, and AEP wants to buy naming rights to the new Crew stadium.
    I’m assuming “nothing” since the energy companies are not in direct competition.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they were, I'm not sure it's an issue. Different leagues and sports. Heck hasn't MLS had some competitors sponsoring them?

20. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A cat food sponsor would be ideal.
    Blue Buffalo Stadium
    Kibbles and Bits Stadium
    Fancy Cat..
    Tiki Cat (my favorite)

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iams US HQ is in Ohio (Mason).....

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping back to front page.

23. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just looked at the construction cam. I'm kind of surprised how deep they are digging.... Not that I know anything about construction.

24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a metaphor of how deep they'll be trying to dig into my wallet. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the new season ticket prices.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  25. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sort of seems like, from the renderings, that you'll enter the concourse between the lower and upper concourse and the field would be down