Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due respect, I think it's the opposite: There is an expectation that we, as Crew fans, are never satisfied with anything the Crew says or does, then people expressing excitement and contentment about one thing or another is, as you say, normal.

And it's equally true that there's a school of thought that accuses Crew fans of being a bunch of dolts who are so jaded for whatever reason that if new management showed up at their door for a roll in the hay with a gaggle of supermodels and your wife while having sandwiches catered the Crew fans would find something to complain about.

2. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Changing the colors of the team is not "minor" and if the rumors are true, that would be a devastating loss of image, brand and recognition.

eboe, TrueCrew, catfish9 and 6 others repped this.
  3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um.... ok.....?

4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well put.

I have an ironic question for you about your avatar. Aren’t Atlético Nacional’s colors green and white?

RafaLarios repped this.
  5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah but it looks "artsy" that way :p

Green all the way otherwise haha

TKyle repped this.
  6. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Shoutout the construction crew braving the elements to build our stadium.

upload_2019-11-12_7-50-40.png

7. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone know what the white objects are? Looks like a trench has been dug, white objects placed in it and concrete poured to hold them in place. Must be some type of footer or foundation wall? I’ve never seen this technique before.
    Also, the tall auger rig has moved around the site for days but I’ve yet to see it do anything. FCC drove piles for months and poured enough concrete to fill Mapfre stadium. This rig seems more like deep holes than pile driving.

8. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like they are doing auger cast piles. High slump concrete is pumped into a special auger as it is raised up, then rebar cages are lowered into the wet concrete. If you are really interested and have 9 minutes to burn here is a video. https://www.youtube.com/watchv=fCANsnCXXYY

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did something like that at my workplace where they are building new ramps for our garage (they had to tear down half the garage but had to leave the other half as the building rests on it--so new ramps were needed).

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Can they pour concrete when it's below freezing outside? I thought cold weather made the concrete on the outside of the column brittle?

11. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
  12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to send some of that equipment to Nova Scotia for that bunch of assclowns fumbling around on Oak Island

13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    catfish9 repped this.
  15. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waze gets confused because it can't tell whether the location is in Austin's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th downtown.

TRUJDUB, Ch(Elsey), Crewster and 3 others repped this.
  16. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look really really hard on a perfectly clear day you can actually see Austin's 1st downtown way way off in the distance. Also if you look across the street from the site you can see, well, some warehouses. It is literally like they are building their stadium in the equivalent of the area around the old Continent. Maybe that's we should have built our stadium, I mean people could easily park at Polaris Mall and walk there right?

TRUJDUB and porchlight repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, no. (I get the sarcasm, though). But I could have, given where I live.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew is trying to lock down a 3 year lease extension at Obetz:

https://www.columbusmessenger.com/o...-crew-lease-after-team-submits-new-offer.html

The lease has been extended by a month while Obetz prepares a counter-offer.

Being a depressive sort, I have to admit that I had the same initial thought as the guy on Twitter: 3 years is a long time to extend a lease when - supposedly - the club is creating a new training facility at Mapfre. Sure, they'll not really be able to completely engage with the Mapfre site until the move to the new stadium is complete. Could be, as another person posted, that it'll just take that long to get the Mapfre project done.

Still, until and unless we hear more concrete and positive news re: the Mapfre project writ large (training facility + community rec center), I'll remain dubious. It would be a PR disaster for a lot of people if that deal fell through, though, so perhaps things are crawling ahead out of public view.

Anyway, Obetz sounds positive, so I hope this gets arranged. It might be a small, dated facility, but it would suck if the club had to find some other venue - or just use Mapfre - for the coming season.

TRUJDUB, TrueCrew and the_rickler repped this.
  19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. While recent developments at Mapfre have me skeptical, having a facility secured thru 2022 seems wise. They are going to be playing at Mapfre thru June/July 2021. No way that reconfiguration/repurposing stuff is done for 2022 pre-season. No way.

TRUJDUB, Ch(Elsey) and kgilbert78 repped this.
  20. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bring up a point that I’ve been wondering about.
    It looks like the new digs won’t be ready until midseason 2021.
    PLEASE tell me that we are NOT going to play all road games for the first half of the year, like DC, Portland, etc.
    MAPFRE will be standing and in reasonably good condition. It’s not like we have a crumbling, raccoon-infested stadium, or that extensive renovations prevent us from playing in our existing stadium.
    I see no reason why we can’t use MAPFRE for the first half of 2022.

TRUJDUB and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  21. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is precisely why The Crew is negotiating for a 3 year extension at Obetz. If we are going to play our home matches in the first half of the 20121 season at Mapfre, the work required to create a new training center at Mapfre can not begin until June of 2021, when we move to the new downtown stadium.

TRUJDUB, Ch(Elsey) and TKyle repped this.
  22. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    I know Dee said they would certainly petition the league for a schedule that leads towards having just that. Pete then piped in and said they would have a few home games in the first half of '21 to allow fans to say goodbye to Mapfre etc. This was during interviews with the media post ground breaking celebration.

Ch(Elsey), TRUJDUB and TKyle repped this.
  23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that info.

I hope “a few” isn’t TOO few.

Not good for the club to be endlessly on the road for half the season.

24. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless it is in moderate or less chilly climates then I can live with a first couple of months on the road for one season. New stadium opens to much fanfare after the traditional one day below 32 snow day Ohio weather in May and mostly home games through summer and autumn.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  25. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah I’m fine with no games in March , one home game in late April , 2 or less each month following