News: Crew Specific News Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by patricksp, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other note was that they are planning to sign one or two of their academy players. That's good. I did find the article funny in the way it was written that Vancouver has 11 players signed but Columbus has lost half their roster, as if Columbus was in worse shape than Vancouver. Um, that means that Columbus *still* has more players signed than Vancouver--unless the MLS writers can't count (a distinct possibility).

3. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When I hear that the Crew is looking at Argentine players I cannot help but wonder why GBS is not enlisted to assist in this regard?. He certainly has connections and can no doubt evaluate talent.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure they *gladly* would have done that had GBS not wanted to play another season--and who knows, they may *be* working on players GBS told them about while he was still with the Crew. He was offered a role with the team but it wasn't one he wanted to take at this time.

5. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Per Rogers twitter they are having dinner with Maradona today so you never can tell.

6. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone better tell Rogers that the white powder on the glass is not an after dinner mint.

2 people repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assume this will be published to Covering the Crew in a bit, but Thomas Reed filling in for Shawn who's on vacation at the moment just tweeted a summary of an interview with Bliss.

http://twitter.com/TReedDispatch
    All below is from a lot of tweets:
    #Crew 96 Technical director Briam Bliss said an offer to Jeff Cunningham thru the league later today. Crew looks at Cunningham as a "super sub" or a spot starter. Bliss could envision 12 to 15 starters due to injury, international duties, etc

#Crew96 technical director Brian Bliss said offers to several "impact players" from South America are on the table for a midfielder and a defender.

#Crew96 technical director Brian Bliss says it "doesn't make any sense" to negotiate with Schelotto, a UFA, at this time. Crew plan to use that money to attract other players from the international market.

MF Leandre Griffit is a player with whom #Crew96 is still talking, but club is trying solidify other pieces before negotiating with him.

Needless to say #Crew96 fans, Bliss was not revealing names of the South American players the club is targeting. Wanted to make that clear.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Cool... thx.

10. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SoccerNutHouse

SoccerNutHouse New Member

Nov 4, 2008

http://www.paraguay.com/deportes/robles-%E2%80%9C%C2%BFquien-no-quiere-vestir-la-casaca-de-olimpia-57957

So that is in Spanish and I have no idea what it says, but the headline on mlssoccer.com said "Paraguayan World Cup player Denis Caniza is seemingly leaning towards MLS, saying he really wants to hear more about the offer from an unnamed US club. (SPANISH)" and it reminded me of all the talk about South American players and the quote above.

Has anyone seen Caniza play?

Although at 36 (if I figured out his age correctly from a quick search) he seems a little old to be the type of player this team is considering.

Edit: I didn't quote the right thing, but it was supposed to be the comment about players from South America and specifically Paraguay

12. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ...and a plan, don't forget it takes a plan. Oh and brains. Players help too!

14. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Holidays?? Damn Communists.

15. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I noticed that every picture of the fans came from the nordecke (minus the final pic). Are those the only spectators lol?

16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Count yourself lucky that they don't just use real fan shots of TFC and Sounders.

17. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merry Christmas, Crew Chuck35. :D

18. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    are any of the onn shows new? I started to watch one and it looked to be a rerun as it had Frankie on it.

19. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The last new one was a few weeks ago. They'll start afresh with the new season. I imagine sometime in February.

20. WSU_Raider

WSU_Raider Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Fairborn
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hi guys
    This is my first post on here and I don't know if this goes here.
    I made this video awhile back of the 2010 season hope you guys enjoy it. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb7X3vnHvD8"]YouTube - 2010 Columbus Crew Highlight Video[/ame]

3 people repped this.
  21. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    don't take anything too personal around here.

22. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Just beat Butler for godsake....

23. WSU_Raider

WSU_Raider Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Fairborn
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It seems pretty intense on here. I will most likely keep my comments to a minimum and post the videos of the Crew I do lol. Thanks for the advice.

And I hope we do beat butler. I haven't made it to many games this year yet since its break and I live a few hours north.

24. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's as intense as spider monkeys flinging their poo every which way. Its those who take said poo personally that have a hard time.

Do not fear the spider monkeys. Have a thought out opinion and express it.

25. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    as long as you come to ignore everything Missionary and pastor say, you'll do fine 'round here.