Post-match: Crew SC @ Philadelphia, Match 22

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jul 26, 2017.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Well, I guess we can start one in the back on Saturday.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    All points bulletin for Ola Kamara.

4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start? No.

Get minutes over finlay? Yes.

Get minutes over meram or manneh? No.

Nice try at twisting my words though.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can anyone tell me if Ola Kamara is #hungry

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last two games show how important higuain still is.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    More accurately, the last two games show how poorly our Sporting Director has prepared for a post Higuain Columbus Crew. On the bright side, he's only halfway through his 4th year. It may be overwhelming for a Sporting Director to identify a replacement for his 31 (?) year old injury prone playmaker. Why bother developing someone in his stead?

Roster construction is the job of our HC and SD. Both have failed. They are the same person.

chr1st repped this.
  8. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    32, 33 in October.

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue the injury prone part. Though, hangthadj can only be bothered to grace us with his lectures after losses, so I shouldn't complain. He's so quiet after wins I need to just savor posts like these after losses.

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Not sure who lost it more after that game Berhalter or everyones favourite corporate shill nerk.

ZipSix, odave and Coupe repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nah, I'm still here after wins. It was a week ago after the win I said it was good we didn't face Sapong. It's not too long ago that I was called an alarmist for talking about our strength of schedule when Berhalter believers thought we were the second best team in the conference. In fact you "lectured" me as well. I've said since the beginning of the season our ceiling is the 4th playyoff spot, but we will probably still make it at spot 5 or 6.

Savor the posts of the profit, my friend. I live to love and enlighten.

12. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Prophet

hangthadj repped this.
  13. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No it doesnt...it says a lot about how bad the crew are based on playing one of the worst teams in the league. Jukka..Hector..Jonathan are starters...Last two games say a lot about extremely poor roster selection..

14. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Roster selection or roster creation? Not trying to pick a fight here, just asking because I don't see one person - or two, or three - on the bench that could save this shit show.

15. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes, Ola Kamara is #hungry for #service. I, for one, don't see him as a striker that can create on his own. So, while I can say that I wish the Crew had a striker up top that could do such things, I do not expect it from him. I expect him to finish when he is given chances, which he has done less successfully than last year in addition to receiving fewer opportunities.

Now, one could argue - and I wouldn't disagree - that this team would be better off with a striker that is better at attacking a defense. But, I won't hate on Ola for being something that he never was. I'll just wish and complain until there is somebody on the roster who could do those things.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, this match marks the official beginning of the Gregg Berhalter: Dead Coach Walking Tour.

porchlight and ZipSix repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many thoughts. I thought the Mensah case was why they supposedly had modified the red card rule on penalties. But it was from behind. Lalas? Rookie mistakes. He let experienced players get in his head (why he got his first yellow, after Mensah's ejection). That said, this was a very chippy game. I was waiting for Philly to come out in orange and black jerseys. There were a number of cases--both ways--where I was waiting for yellow to come out and a number of head shots (both teams).

While an important game, I'm not going to say it it makes or breaks the season. We are not good, but we are not horrible either. We are excruciatingly average. As our record shows.

The game watch at Brothers was ok. Can't complain about free beer, even if it was Bud. Still free.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean it's a bit of both isn't it? When you look at the roster creation you look at glaring mistakes like Mensah and Abu. The lack of any real alternative to Higuain. A very slight central midfield that puts our poor backline under pressure (even though Artur plays bigger than he is, no player in the league has ever feared a Will Trapp tackle).

As for the selection, it's evidently Naess's turn to by in Gregg's doghouse (unless he's injured). That Mensah continues to be a first choice center back is appalling. Taking Meram off for Abu in the 60th minute essentially waved a white flag. It's the same shit over and over.

ibrew, porchlight and ZipSix repped this.
  19. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, which win this season do you guys think was our best win?
    3-2 at Montreal? 2-0 vs. Toronto at home? 3-0 over Seattle?

20. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Goals leaked. Mensah is Mensah. Steffen saves a penalty. Ola misses another on the doorstep.

I turned it off at the 74th to watch the start of the Gold Cup final. Normally, I would watch the shit show (thank you 614life for the perfect description) to the bitter end. I guess this is personal growth.

Tobias C repped this.
  21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter disagreed with both red cards. Perhaps the red for hands to the face was a bit harsh, but when you've been warned once before...

Crewmania and Kyle Crew repped this.
  22. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Naess will be forced to play again...that is positive...he needs to look good for his next move..

chr1st repped this.
  23. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have a gripe about the penalty as Mensah's contact started outside the area (maybe?) but it's kinda hard to argue either red. Lalas's red (straight red, not a 2nd yellow) as some say may be harsh and Ilsinho's theatrics were absurd, but that's pretty standard. You can't put your hands to the guy's face.

chr1st repped this.
  24. Coupe

Coupe Member+

Mar 3, 2007
    Overall, the refs did not have control of the game and it was very chippy.

25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The match report on the Crew website is a doozy.

ibrew repped this.