Crew SC partner with USL Pittsburgh Riverhounds for 2016

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried too but gave up pretty quick.

2. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So, what I'm hearing is part of the partnership is that Crew SC is lending their technical expertise in digital streaming to PRH.

chr1st and CybrSlydr repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next thing you know, Pittsburgh will get an exclusive TV contract with TWCSC

4. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They actually should do this. Crew could offer this as exclusive to TWSC and almost no one would moan about it.

5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team of players not good enough to play for the Crew are being televised on a stream not good enough to be a Crew stream.

Makes sense.

6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You've clearly never watched a Crew streaming feed.

7. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    You wouldn't know it from the technical issues on Saturday but we have one of the best streams in the league each year.

Maybe the weather played a part. At any rate the replay is uploaded to YouTube if you're interested. No technical issues with it.

This was a typical game against Rochester. They play very defensive and very physical. It's hard to break down. The Hounds did have several great chances that barely missed. Overall I didn't think they looked too bad. Just some first game sloppiness that should be worked out. Plus the weather as absolutely abysmal which I'm sure didn't help either team look good.

I thought Hollingsworth looked good. He made a great stop in the second half manning the post during a corner. Unfortunately I don't have much of a recap. Spent most of the time trying to get feeling back in my hands and feet.

The Hounds are back at home next Saturday against in-state rival Harrisburg.

chr1st, Tobias C, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  8. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don't sweat it, @Vesty. This is all more about our FO's historical inability to put quality streaming content online than yours.

9. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Ha fair enough. I know there was a number of new folks watching, or trying to, so I just wanted to say it's not usually a mess. Our video folks take a lot of pride in their work.

From the sounds of it if our affiliation works out maybe we should loan you our video crew

10. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing the video feed is so minor league. Come back when your scoreboard catches on fire and we can talk.

11. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #111 Crewture, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Produced Division I college soccer for live streaming with the NSCAA a few years back, produced US Youth Soccer Championships twice. If your video is coming into Tricaster (or whatever your using to get your video camera feeds, commercials, graphics) and the internet is working. Not a baffling mystery.

Has to be the streaming provider. Whoever they had a subscription from or used to stream, was off, and apparently no one thought to call streaming provider to resolve it (usually takes two minutes). If it's nothing on your end, it's the streaming company.

12. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #112 Crewture, Apr 5, 2016
    I know because every time I've ever had an issue it was usually that. Unless hardware crashes or you have no coffee lol never should be on your end. Sometimes streaming isn't as easy as webcaming lol, but not that complex. Shit doesn't magically occur. USL broadcasters sound really experienced lol that the guy mentioned, and by broadcasters I hope he didn't mean announcers because they know zero about it.

But, sometimes announcers act like their Matt Damon and have a bunch of quirky ideas on their end on how they would make the broadcast even better. That we can't do logistically.

With Crew in past was on their end. Probably as cheap as most teams are about it in house and don't know anything about it- doubt most in their house hiring have experience with producing, you'll be surprised how many people think sporting events just magically show up on tv). In my one situation of no stream, NSCAA was cheap (or more likely their tech guy didn't know) and used free YouTube streaming to stream. Well, if you use something free becomes harder to resolve a stream issue because well, umm your not paying.

So, the one time we streamed Akron vs. Ohio State and well YouTube streaming was down the whole day, of course my boss didn't check (just busy twiddling his thumbs at home probably then making sure everything was concretely set, probably watching Vanderpump Rules lol kidding) and resolve the situation while I'm driving from South Carolina. I found out after calling YouTube 5 minutes into the game lol (because out of everything, just figured it would be naturally there. Which is a huge mistake). You want a fun situation. Glad that only happened once, but yeah mine wasn't a fun "oh well" situation. Great fun as well spending the day setting up all the equipment around the stadium for no reason. Trust me if you can only come in earlier in the day because of your schedule of other games, it's work from noon to game time even to pull it off (quality wise).

Of course, NSCAA thought it was me. But, took a lot of discourse for them to realize it was their cheap streaming. If the stream is down or something is off, it's streaming. It's not bad weather unless the Producer has one camera and the wires coming from it are laying in a creek, lol. If you call they can usually fix it really quick. So, if it comes up again would recommend that to them Vesty.

Sure somebody at Riverhounds thought to check with streaming provider. Even if it's setup on YouTube. You could stream elsewhere first and post that stream feed on like a Riverhounds website and then also send to YouTube. That way if YouTube stream is down, can still watch on the Riverhounds website. If nobody thought to call the video stream provider, amateurish in my opinion. Just an opinion so lol.

I'm thinking that if your posting why it wasn't mysteriously working on Twitter. Lol. Unless your asking others into it. Could be great, good guys. Will have to check out the feed more. Could be excellent.

But, if ever in need I live in Western PA lol.

Probably applied for the videography job for Columbus 7 times and never received a friendly call, although working with NSCAA and doing around 10 other national championships I guess isn't impressive enough, lol. Who knows since the job comes up like every four months, you would think the guy that mentioned the "Nordecke" name first and probably started blogging on the team, might have a good idea or two in house and could get one try.

Lol, if you give me a paycheck lol I won't be blogging about it.

But, yeah I think Riverhounds just use YouTube to stream as well (from what I know of MLS teams in preseason lol, USL teams). I'm guessing they didn't realize streaming was off there and wouldn't think to resolve it there. Because YouTube is always up, people start trusting it.

Sorry for rant, lol.

Bill Archer repped this.
  13. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    14x awkward lols in one post. I think that's a new record, lol.

TRUJDUB and chr1st repped this.
  14. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #114 Crewture, Apr 5, 2016
    Just get passionate about producing, streaming. Rarely ever get to talk about it. So, got long winded.

If they haven't thought about improving streaming provider from YouTube or if they didn't call. Will solve it in future. Not sure how 3 USL engineers couldn't think of that.

Hopefully did.

15. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, someone could delete that long one. That's complete rambling even by my standards and no one will get what I'm saying.. And yes the lol's are creepy in that first paragraph.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FYP ;)

17. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FYP

Draghignazzo repped this.
  18. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I have, but they're not so bad that they give up five minutes in.

Ten minutes, yes, but not five, so our streams are better (relative term, admittedly).

19. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably scared away affiliate fans. So you're welcome.

Kidding. Glad its Riverhounds compared to Dutch Lions.

20. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    No game last weekend. It was postponed due to "weather." I'm sure it was due to the team expecting another 1,000 or less ticket sale due to 30 degrees and wind again. At any rate their next match is this Sunday vs Toronto II in Toronto. Kick off is at 4 pm. The Hounds will be without their captain Kevin Kerr because his green card is taking too long to process. Seems like something you would've taken care of before the season starts, but what do I know.

In other news-
    719954463834804224 is not a valid tweet id

Kyle Crew repped this.
  21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 CybrSlydr, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swanson just subbed on before half-time.

23. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Swanson doesn't contribute much but Hounds draw 2-2 with some stoppage time theatrics.

24. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a good weekend for our friends in Pittsburgh as well. Ouch.

25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States