Post-match: Crew @ Salt Lake, Match 24

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jul 29, 2017.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was interesting.

It ends up as a 2-2 tie. Both teams have reason to be happy at not losing, and both teams have reason to be disappointed with not winning. Some lousy finishing on both ends, or this one could have had much bigger numbers.

Good to see Kamara net a brace, but the fact that he missed seemingly the easiest chance of the bunch that could have won it makes it ring a little hollow.

Impressive debut from Connor Maloney. Steffen was damn good in this match as well.

Jaybir, ibrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  2. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Two things.

1) Props to @hangthadj for his motivational techniques with Ola Kamara. Maybe you can motivate Mensah next.
    2) The Crew facebook page said they were "Celebrating victory" The culture of mediocrity is all over this club.

3. ColumbusOwl

ColumbusOwl Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Apr 17, 2017
    I'll take the draw and smile. Truth is, Crew was under siege all night. Kamara's miss was more than compensated by Steffen's heroics and saves off the line. Crew showed a lot coming back.

hardhead and Kyle Crew repped this.
  4. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ola miss was bad, but i think plata hit the post for rsl, and we had two goalline clearances from defenders... so hard to be too disappointed honestly. A draw at altitude following a cross country flight and a 3-0 ass whipping just days earlier.

hardhead repped this.
  5. Meltdown611186

Aug 4, 2005
    Columbus Ohio
    You always take a point on the road. RSL likely more disappointed, but Kamara probably equally not to get his hat trick. Help us if he ever goes down (God forbid)

Marking was woeful, its like they were trying to see who could mark like Mensah more. And Mensah is a person I did NOT miss. Can MLS extend his suspension??

6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can we get a striker who is good with both feet ?

I think this is Finlay biggest problem he also needs to be a LM. He can't do anything well with his left foot

7. OzweegoSC

OzweegoSC Member

Dec 10, 2007
    CMH
    Ola's first goal was left footed and his 2nd was with his right.

8. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we sit here and bemoan our lack of depth up top would we not want to hold on to the top spot on the allocation list for Nemeth?

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched Finlay last night. He was one of my all-time Crew favorites. But the last two seasons he's stunk the place up. And I want to know why. After last night, I have a counter-hypothesis to the "he sucks" narrative:

He's unlucky.

Two or three of his crosses last night were absolutely amazing. He had a run in the second half where he nutmegged, dashed around the end, and almost had a clean break to the far corner. But each time, something tiny stopped it. A toe touches the ball. The other player has an extended arm which hits Ethan and slows him down.

Dude's just unlucky.

10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wants to come here. Contrary to what some people like to believe, GB still had to persuade Kei to come to Columbus in 2015. If GB can persuade him to come here, I'm all for it. Nemeth isn't a big target forward type to GB likes though. He's more of a dribbler, slashing forward type, like Juan Agudelo.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could have won just as easily as lost. I think a point is fair.

Zack Steffen continues to be our best player. I feel he has earned more pints this year than any other player.

chr1st repped this.
  12. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well the easiest shot all night was missed with his left (off foot) so we just need another st to pair with Ola. We need a left footed goal scorer to play on the the RM/RW position because all our outside mids seem to be right footed and better suited at LM

13. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wouldn't that work in a 2 Striker formation with Ola ?

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Maloney's debut--but his first start. He came in as a sub early in the season--and looked good then too. He then had an injury, so some folks moved ahead of him.

I found it to be an entertaining match.

15. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for the regressing Ola story line . . .
    Crognale and Steffen are quite a team. Keed that Artur guy around.

16. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    fun game for the neutral. viva kamara?

17. Badgercrew

Badgercrew Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Nov 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I'll take the point on the road.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we beat San Jose and come out with 4 points on this 3gm road trip that is good. If we draw 2 points is not acceptable and 1 point means it's a debacle