[Crew/R] '17 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 5th Round Bomb

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 8, 2017.

?

Where will the Crew finish in the 2017 LHUSOC?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2017.
  1. CHAMPIONS --- Hello CCL!

19.6%
  2. Runners-up --- Damn you, Dallas.

2.0%
  3. Semifinals --- Death by schedule congestion.

15.7%
  4. Quarterfinals --- Well, we need to rest our starters for the Eintracht game, right?

17.6%
  5. Fifth Round --- TRADITION!

31.4%
  6. Fourth Round --- USL is technically D2 now, brah.

11.8%
  7. Withdraw Before Entry --- lol #whogivesashitaboutccl?

2.0%
  1. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't count conference championships because they don't prove whether a manager can win MLS Cup (the real goal). Ask Steve Nicol.

How about this then, name the last manager who took more than 4 years to win MLS Cup without winning the SS or Open Cup first?

If a manager can't win any of those in 4 years, he isn't good enough. Look, it up. Four years is enough time to decide if the guy has it, or doesn't. I'm talking MLS here. Had he won the Open Cup, I'd give him another year. But he didn't.

2. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I like GGG and do not consider winning a semi final being a trophy to take seriously. I think the achievement of reaching and hosting MLS Cup is being diminished by those that don't like GGG

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of it is probably numbers. As the conferences grow, winning the conference may be a bigger deal. But back when this league was 10 teams then 12 teams, then 10 teams again, who cares if you win your conference of 5-6 teams. It wasn't until 2 years ago that there were even 10 teams in each conference. Now that we're going to be pushing 14-15 teams in each conference in the coming years, maybe it will be a bigger deal.

Or maybe that importance is already built into the cake and no matter how big the league gets, that won't change.

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't not like him. I was all for giving him this season to see if he can move this team significantly forward. That hasn't happened.

Now, after a couple weeks of reflection on that MLS Cup run, I did start to think we were a little more lucky than good. I felt like we got outplayed by Montreal despite winning. I only saw one of the two games against NYRB, but the second game they didn't look great.

So I tend to downplay that a little bit. I will give him credit that this team went on a great run that season. And, unlike many, I don't attribute that run to being Kei willing this team (I'm don't see Kei as that transformative player, I see him as benefiting from a number of players on the team just having career seasons at the same time).

I just haven't seen enough, or much of anything, since then to say that I think Gregg can turn this team in to a consistent contender.

I will say, Pipa seemed to come out of the gate rejuvenated. I thought that was a bit of a feather in Gregg's cap, that he seemingly called that one correctly. Lately Pipa's either come back down to earth, and/or he just doesn't have enough help on this team. Either way, I don't think that bodes well for Gregg.

And I'm very excited about moving forward with Steffen and Artur as part of the club. Outside of that, I'm not sure what else Gregg has done to make me want him to still be our coach.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said it was a "championship". But it is a trophy. Or MLS would not issue it. And tradition?? We really don't have that yet.

But Salt Lake City seems to claim it....

[​IMG]

As does Terrible Football Club

[​IMG]

6. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Kgilbert like more... Being a contrarian or Gladbach?

ZipSix, jairadballerina and Aaron d repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    H
    I am not arguing that point.

8. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Funny you should mention that.... His third cousin, Wolfgang Contrarian, was in the Gladbach youth system for several years but never made it to the full team. Had a goal and an assist in the 4th Round of the 1978 U-16 Youth Club Cup.

9. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we can agree that while Ggg might win trophies, he can't win anything that gets us to champions league.

For those of us that base importance off of champions league qualification or MLS Cup only, he isn't good. For those of us that like all trophies and participation awards, he's A ok.

TRUJDUB, Tobias C and Kyle Crew repped this.
  10. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    May be already posted but FC Cincy vs Chicago will be on Espn2. I've seen billboards all over Cincy touting the game.
    I have to admit I'm impressed with the enthusiasm generated down there. I think it can only be good for the Crew as all the more Ohioans know what MLS is and are curious about it. Much less away supporters. I'll watch for sure.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda wondering how much coverage ESPiN has given to the Open Cup in the past.

12. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kgilbert78 repped this.
  13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If even ESPN is giving Cincy pub with national tv push, I can't see how they don't get into MLS.

14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't count the Eastern Conference trophy or cup or whatever it is because it get you nothing. No guarantee of Champions league and no extra money. Hell it does not even effect Garber bucks or draft order or any of the five other orders in the MLS.

15. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll-defined stadium plan, most likely hinging on public money. TV market smaller than even Columbus or Salt Lake. Mere hours away from another team, in the Midwest, in a league seemingly obsessed with increasing its "national footprint."

If Cincy is one of the four, I will gladly buy you a steak dinner.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would that be a filet???;);)

TRUJDUB and Salacious Bum repped this.
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got 1,064 people at our open cup home game last year. They got 30,160. There is an appetite.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    Perhaps from Jack Ruby's fine establishment!?

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Jeff Ruby, as I recall. Jack was the guy who shot Lee Harvey Oswald....

TRUJDUB and odave repped this.
  20. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come for the steak (or filet), stay for the band.
    [​IMG]

DAK77, odave, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too soon.

22. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    You are correct, even after I typed it I was questioning myself!!

Jeff though makes some Damn good steaks!!

23. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win : Loser::MLS Cup : Proud Runners Up

24. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed posting this yesterday because work is dumb and I hate it especially when I should be busy with PRAISE THE CUP!

2017-lhusoc-r16.PNG

I only caught the second half of the match last night but it looks like Dallas has too much talent not to win it all again this year.

The big one tonight: Bridgeview Fire versus Soccer City USA on ESPN (!!). That's not ESPN3 or W or the Ocho; it's on the flagship. Tune in to watch the giant killers from the 'Nati get their comeuppance (or enjoy a Fiery flame out).

Other things to watch tonight: ALL OF IT, foolish mortals!

Ignore all other false idols!
    Hell is real!
    PRAISE BE THE CUP!

Draghignazzo and Tobias C repped this.
  25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States