[Crew/R] '17 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the 5th Round Bomb

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, May 8, 2017.

?

Where will the Crew finish in the 2017 LHUSOC?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2017.
  1. CHAMPIONS --- Hello CCL!

19.6%
  2. Runners-up --- Damn you, Dallas.

2.0%
  3. Semifinals --- Death by schedule congestion.

15.7%
  4. Quarterfinals --- Well, we need to rest our starters for the Eintracht game, right?

17.6%
  5. Fifth Round --- TRADITION!

31.4%
  6. Fourth Round --- USL is technically D2 now, brah.

11.8%
  7. Withdraw Before Entry --- lol #whogivesashitaboutccl?

2.0%
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It used to, actually. I think we got in once that way.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall a time when Bob the Rifle was criticized for not winning any trophies on this board--because the SS didn't count.

Again, you've drawn your curve to suit your opinions/ax to grind. Not the facts. It clearly is not the most significant trophy. But it is not a local one either.

3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #453 chr1st, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Anyone that doesn't count SS is a big stupid dummy. The credit was probably not given to Bobby Popgun because he was using Sigi's squad (mostly).

EDIT: I know we all wanted his head by the time (or well before) he was let go, but I think it's well-overdue that Warzycha be inducted into the Circle of Honor. kthxbibi

DOUBLE SECRET EDIT: There is one unexpected thing Gigi has managed to do: I've started to look back fondly on Bobby's tenure as coach. Yowzerz.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's kinda my point. You can always draw the circle to include what you want and exclude what you don't want.

But I would like to see Bob honored at some point. The other guy from that era I'd include would be Mike Clark. But I'm not holding my breath on either.

Robbiegoal repped this.
  5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    About That if you win your Confrence you should get a CCL spot . Then the 3& 4 spots are n CCL should go to the other two top remaining teams ( overall record)

CrewV Man repped this.
  6. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that people may have discredited the achievement not because of the trophy but rather the impression that Warzycha was riding Sigi's coattails.

Anyone who thinks the SS shouldn't count as a major trophy should feel bad about themselves.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to, as I recall. Then MLS changed it. I seem to recall we got in that way once--but many years ago.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the entire league, I think, back in the day. The fans had to create it....

9. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Open Cup is not celebrated at all. You win by beating bad teams and then a random MLS team. Now that sounds like something way better than being one of the best teams and the best team in a conference. Ask the average sports fan what is the US Open Cup...response...a golf tournament

10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Champions league for the usoc winner. What did we get for winning the east and losing mls cup? That east championship is still talked about to this day around here... oh wait, no its not. People say we made the final, not that we won the east.

ZipSix repped this.
  11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    The eastern conference trophy is awarded to the team that wins a semi final. Well done. Why is that a thing?

Tobias C and Kyle Crew repped this.
  12. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What trophy do we get if we finish above .500?

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mediocrity Medallion.

TRUJDUB and Draghignazzo repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AL and NL trophies and pennants are awarded to the semifinalists in their sport. And do you think the Jackets would have turned down the Prince of Wales Trophy and the corresponding banner that goes with it. Do college basketball teams frown at a Final Four banner?? All of the teams want to win the championship. But they do recognize the achievements noted by these trophies.

On a separate note: is anyone else having lots of trouble posting due to runaway processes caused by ads and videos and long running scripts?? I am not allowed to install ad block on my computer. It gets very frustrating to try to post when the page freezes regularly.

15. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am severely disappointed that people forget that Gregg won the coveted Disney Pro Soccer Classic trophy.

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I few things about Roberts Supporters Shield. Yes, he didn't get credit because it was Sigi's team. He also didn't get credit because Guillermo gets the credit (and there was a story once that Robert questioned Sigi if he was sure about GBS when he first started practicing with the team and I think that the story was taken in a different direction than intended). I also seem to remember a lot of complaints about him "backing" into it too.

This is more as to why I think we remember him not getting any credit for it, not that I'm agreeing fully with those arguments.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying they're right, but I also remember that. A lot of other teams at/near the top lost their final few games while we didn't exactly go on a hot streak.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Hell, we won the Carolina Challenge Cup this year. Almost as coveted as the Trillium Cup.

20. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I don't believe that there is any real difference between the two!!

POdinCowtown repped this.
  21. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you saying Gggg winning the EC is enough to keep his job after this season?

RW got 4 seasons after his SS. That's enough to know if a guy can win MLS Cup and he wasn't one of those guys.

Gggg has not won any of the big 4 trophies. He isn't going to win us a Cup which is the main goal.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #472 kgilbert78, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    No. I'm not. What I am and have been reacting to is the "GGG hasn't won a trophy". He has and it wasn't a local one either but a league trophy--and if you don't want to count that, then you are doing so because you don't like GGG. In other sports, similar trophies count. As I have demonstrated. It isn't the most important trophy. But it also isn't completely insignificant either, as the local trophies are.

That has nothing to do with is he a good coach or not. There's a thread for that, and we'll see what happens. This league is just crazy enough that this team could go on a tear and win the Cup. Mind you, I don't expect it. But it's been pretty common. The double of SS and MLS Cup has been pretty rare in this league.

And I won't argue against your point that 4 years is a fair shot.

23. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point in time, give us any trophy and I'll gush on it like it's the World Cup trophy itself. You people arguing over what counts/doesn't count is quite silly in our current situation.

TRUJDUB and kgilbert78 repped this.
  24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KG, I'm usually with you all the way on these kinds of arguments, but you're reaching.

Yes. In baseball, winning a pennant and REACHING the World Series is an accomplishment that's celebrated with banners and such. That's their tradition. That's not MLS.

In MLS, the trophies are: MLS Cup, Supporters' Shield, and US Open Cup. (And eventually, Champions League. Oh, and I guess Canadian Championship.) That's it. That's the list. Winning your conference playoff isn't considered a major award/trophy. It's just not. The reward is qualifying for MLS Cup. Yes, there's a trophy handed out, but is isn't viewed as a major piece of hardware. If you list a team's accolades, or a coach's, you're more likely to hear "made it to X number of MLS Cup appearances" than "X Conference Titles."

It's a semantic difference, but it's there. The same way MLB doesn't award anything for having the league's best record, or nobody gives a flip how many Prince of Wales trophies an NHL team had won.

It certainly doesn't mean an MLS Cup appearance isn't worthy of consideration, but it's just not viewed as a championship. It certainly COULD be if everyone decided to look at it that way, but that's just not the attitude presently.

25. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We now break from our on-going trophy debate to bring you this breaking Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup news:

Earlier rounds of the Cup getting some love from ESPN. I can dig it.

Robbiegoal repped this.