News: Crew Hire Director of Methodology

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by patricksp, Oct 28, 2014.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post, thank you!

2. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume Frankie has something to do with this.

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We joke about all these new positions and their titles, but I'm really impressed how Berhalter is staffing up with quality hires to meet the vision he has for the technical side from youth to pros. The fact that Precourt is spending the money here when maybe it's not a "necassary" hire shows his commitment to Berhalter's vision. I imagine Lagaine will be given simular latitude on the business side and they'll show improvement there as well.

Great time to be a Crew SC fan.

redi44crew, TRUJDUB and ibrew repped this.
  4. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty exciting.

5. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Makes me really hate the fact I'm probably not gettting (half) season tickets next year. Alas family makes it difficult to attend pr-scheduled games

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a Crew fan but a fan of GB.

Anyone take his recent comments about the money saved from running a USP team to mean the Crew might run their own residency eventually? Could be why they brought in this guy right?

And how young do you think he wants to go when he mentioned youth? U-8?

Thanks for the replies and info.

8. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess a residency can't be out of the question. While things are certainly done differently here that Europe due to a cultural difference in how valued the whole "going to college and getting an education" thing is, I think there could come a point where the Crew could open their own residency program- complete with education services and potentially dorm-style living (much like a boarding school).

That is something just about everybody in MLS has to be looking to in the future (I believe Philly is already doing this for high schoolers).

As for what age groups Nico will be involved with, it's still very early but I'd imagine he'll be working with Andrew Arthurs in the development of the Academy and working with basically all age groups- from the first team down to how the U8 teams are run.

mike4066 repped this.
  9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promoted as a 1st assistant.

Hate, hate,hate this move. Not because he isn't qualified or will bring qualities to the first team but rather because developing players takes intentional focus. When you keep moving pieces around, which we do every 6-9 months then you lose the laser focus you need. Continuity and familiarity create an environment where kids know the expectations and requirements for success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hangthadj repped this.
  10. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excited about the hire.

His title, on the other hand, sounds like something the Cleveland Browns would come up with.

11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Did the Crew make a change or something? Why is this back from the crypt after 2 years?

12. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But is it a DP Director of Methodology?

13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow didn't realize the date of the original post. My brain is fried from a hectic day.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I used the search function on my phone and this was the most "relevant" search.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologize if it wasn't clear but Nico was promoted to an assistant coach with the 1st team. Leaving his Director of Methodology position.

16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not 100% sure what you are looking for but I will give it a shot.

For clubs who have been developing players for longer periods of time they have an institutional structure to their youth development. Teams that develop players are able to maintain the structure despite new coaches coming and going. Youth development is measured over years and years. Each time you replace someone at the top of the development pyramid before the structure is imbedded in the club you are going to see larger waves of change. It might not lead to a bunch of staffing changes but now there is either going to be a new hire or a re-structure. With that will bring changes to the players, different expectations, etc (also can be a good thing as well). If we really had the infrastructure in place then making these changes wouldn't be as significant. However, I don't think we do.

If I get the chance I will look up the dates but since GB has been here (also acts at the technical director) we have turned over, created and replaced key positions, some more than once. Now in fairness he had to change over the old guard which I thought was a good decision. Some of this is the nature of just being essentially a startup trying to find your way. The other piece is the intentionality of it all. You want to hire people who are good with developing kids, dealing with the ups and downs of teenagers and being able to mold them over the course of years. The characteristics of a good youth coach are much different than a 1st team coach. So when you hire someone to work in the Academy who ultimately wants to work with the 1st teams you aren't putting anyone in the position reach the end goal.

catfish9 repped this.
  18. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a nonsense position.

19. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take him, please.

20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Makes sense

21. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked up some Spanish articles, had kind of a meteor-like rise to the thing everyone knows.. That he coached Valencia in two games, http://www.crewture.net/2017/01/172017-nico-estevez-now-first-team.html.

Could be a cheap, perhaps really good replacement if Berhalter sucks in 2017 as well? Who knows. I would put him well ahead of Wolff, Onstad lol.

Would make sense having as a replacement a guy who has been in charge 0f Academy plan for two and a half years. Instead of getting a new coach that knows nothing.

22. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So are we losing Onstadt or Wolfe? Or are we adding another assistant to the bench?

23. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some European assistant left with a weird name. Sixteen or something lol was his name.

24. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sixten Bostrom

25. 110toyourleft