Pre-match: Crew At Fire 7.17.19 Bridgeview, ESPN+

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Y tu mama tambien, Jul 15, 2019.

1. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was what I said. ;)

xtomx repped this.
  2. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Up until the 68th minute, we had 62% possession and the attack was moving the ball between each other, a far cry from the usual individual stuff we had seen from Frankowski and Katai. When Katai came on, he took chances but he also passed the ball to his teammates to set up chances. In fact he was credited with 2 key passes in his half hour of play. Everybody wasn't on the same page, but the idea was there.

Then Paunovic decided to go back to his turtle ball crap where he brings on his 3rd defender and we sit back and let the opponent attack. It's no secret why we always concede late goals.

Also Nikolic doesn't even fit a possession based game, but I wouldn't expect you to know it because you don't really know as much about the game as you like to think.

4. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don’t need to, but I’m going to back @xtomx assertion that you don’t know what you are talking about. Nikolic is a true goal poacher. His off the ball movement is suited perfectly for a possession game. He is always making the right runs and pulling the defense apart. The only thing needed is the final through ball for him to latch onto and finish. Anything the keeper can’t handle, he is there to put it in.

If you think a possession based game is playing from side to side and sending in a cross to someone like Zlatan or a Peter Crouch type, the Fire don’t have a forward on the roster for that.

goldclover, loonixxx and xtomx repped this.
  5. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Nikolic cannot hold the ball for shit and cannot involve himself in the build up play. That is necessary in a possession based game. It's why big clubs like Bayern go for guys like Lewandowski and get rid of poachers like Mario Gomez. It's why Barcelona go for guys like Suarez, Messi in the middle. City play with Aguero and not a poacher. Countless examples of possession based teams going for players who are not poachers.

goldclover repped this.
  6. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Many said it already but after the go ahead goal Pauno bunkered. All moves were defensive and pulling Dax was a downgrade. Too bad NR sold Mo Adams. Sapong played pretty well and scored a nice goal but he has been racking up a ton of minutes and he should have come out after his goal because he looked tired. Niko should have been the move for Sapong and keep the foot on the gas and play in THEIR end, not bunker and invite pressure and kick it high and wide to no one. No surprise on that ending. Sigh...

goldclover repped this.
  7. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see during my sabbatical we've picked up a thinks they know it all.

bunge, xtomx and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.