Crest/Kit/Name?

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by AdamSoucie, Mar 6, 2009.

1. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Wait, which team was it that had a uniform that looked like a suit (the guy in the back)?

Oh, sorry. :D

My idea:

Name: Nationals
    Logo: old WHA logo, in the colors of Ottawa's flag
    Kit: I'm not that technologically savvy. Sorry.

2. filfc

filfc Member

Nov 4, 2007
    How about Ottawa Legion FC

Their is a connection towards the national headquarters of the Canadian Legion, memorials, and a military museum in the area.

A good name for a team should have a local connection to the area, I'm against any name like BC Lions or Real Salt Lake that obviously doesnt.

3. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How about the Ottawa Incompetants, as a nod to the councilors who are working hard to see we never get a soccer stadium?

4. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    You don't want to use the colors of the Ottawa flag?

5. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    City flag colours? Ugly!

Ottawa is one of those cities where the pro teams normally use the same "city sports colours" which are Black, Red, and White. Gold and Silver sometimes used as accents.

6. Wilko66

Wilko66 New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Quite a cool name Ottawa Legion. I prefer it to 'Inter' Ottawa which is so synonymous with Inter Milan. There are very few clubs named Inter, I can only think of three the Italian giants Inter, and a little Welsh and Finnish team. It's stupid using 'Inter' when it is so connected to Inter Milan. The use of United or City is ok as so may teams are called 'United' so it's not really connected to one main team, though Manchester United fans might disagree. I think it's much better to use a name that is connected to the team because of the area. It's awful when clubs get names like Crystal Palace Baltimore or Chivas USA! Copying other clubs names is ridiculous! what's next naming a club... L.A Barcelona!

7. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Lions name obviously makes perfect sense and has a direct connection to the city of Vancouver. The two famous domed mountain peaks(5400 ft) that overlook the city are called The Lions. They were named in the 1800s because they look from a distance like a heraldic lion lying down. The famous Lions Gate Bridge and the BC Lions were named in their honour. Indirectly, locally formed and now large film company, Lions Gate Films, is also named for them/the bridge.

As for the Ottawa name....umm how about Ottawa FC? Pretty straight forward in my opinion. Then a semi-official nickname created by supporters after the fact, a la TFC=Reds, Arsenal=Gunners, etc.

8. guitarob

guitarob Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Valencia, VE
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with you, specially because the inter name comes from Internazionale di Milano, or something like that. So if you really want to use that it should be "Otawa International" or something similar

9. RevolutionFan

RevolutionFan New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Warwick, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not from ottawa so im just throwing stuff out there, if you dont like it well im sorry its not my place to suggest team names but im just trying to help out.

Im a huge fan of historical names, thank god my team has one, the Revolution. but i think that if youre going to pick a name pick something that is unique to you and your area. for instance (again i honestly do not know much about ottawa ive only been there once) but if the city was founded for something like fur trappers then use something like that. again i have no idea anything about your history despite me being a history major haha.

I also like names that (like historical) are something unique to your area or city, for instance ive heard that the nickname of ottawa is bytown, dunno if thats true my dad told me that, but if it is then use that to some degree, its unique nobody can copy it.

Like i said above use something that is unique to your city (ive only said it about 3 or 4 times now) for instance the motto of ottawa is "advance ottawa" (yeah if thats wrong its cause i wikipedia'd it haha, but use that "Ottawa Advancers" or something like that.

PLEASE dont be euro-posers, i cant stand the euro names in the MLS. please be original, and somebody already said about using an animal name, unless its native or has some symbol with ottawa i wouldnt suggest it.

Again im just trying to help out, its your decision make it a good one, i hope you guys get a team i really do that way if the revs lose to TFC or someone then hopefully you can put them in their place. oh well, good luck, Cheers from New England!

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this name.

11. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like Ottawa Legion FC as well for the reasons that have been listed in other posts, but I would want to talk to the Royal Canadian Legion first to make sure that they took it as a tribute not an insult.

12. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this still in the cards or what? Not much activity here.

13. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is nothing much happening in Ottawa at present. City Council voted to support the development of the CFL stadium instead of the soccer stadium and I haven't heard Eugene Melnyk mention soccer in a long time. His people did block terms in the CFL Stadium agreement which would have meant they couldn't build a soccer stadium in Ottawa, so it isn't completely dead, but unless Melnyk decides to pay for the stadium himself, it is as near as makes no difference.

14. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    For those who don't want to follow the link
    [​IMG]
    I'm actually really impressed by how the team are handling this. They've selected three logos which are very clean, very clearly related, and which they can control. (Compare to the cluster**** that were Atlanta's "Name the Team ... maybe!" and "Steal Our Logo" contests which dragged on for months.)

I'd go with Option #2

The flame element in Option #1 is just too abstract for me. Option #3 is also really nice, but I think it would work better as a secondary wordmark. It just doesn't work well as a soccer crest, and the team would likely have to sew either Option #1 or Option #2 to the jersey.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    They all pretty much suck. Number one is the best of the bunch.

19. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Read through the thread, and I thought Ottawa Dominion FC, Ottawa Legion FC, and 1867 Ottawa FC were all pretty sick actually (I added FC to the end of all of them, all proper footy clubs should have FC at the minimum :D). I'd also have been cool with Ottawa City FC, but I'm okay with Ottawa Fury FC too, at least we got the "FC" part lol.

20. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Regarding the crest, I've been arguing for the 1st one, but with the shield from the 2nd one to replace the shield in the 1st one. Also would still like to see a silhouette of Parliament to rep Ottawa in the crest, kinda like how the Whitecaps have a silhouette of the mountains and the ocean.

I've been to Vancouver often and the view of the mountains and the ocean from the beach is the best sight I have ever seen in this country.

21. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    I can live with any of the three.

Shields are overdone imo, they all end up looking the same. That and they're kinda phony. These ones look half decent at least.

Anyway, I voted for number three.

22. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    There is some confusing imagery. "WE ARE THE FURY! AND WE ARE PARLIAMENT!"

In all honesty, the flames on numbers 2 and 3 look great: they're easily reproducible, clearly identifiable, and have the ability to become iconic. The ship sailed on any Parliament/location-based imagery when they selected the name Fury. So you've got flames, and that's what you gotta stick with.

23. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Haha maybe it can be the fury that's bellowing from the BS coming out of Parliament every week.

Leaving politics aside, I'd have no problem w both a flame and Parliament in the same crest. Even with the club name being the Fury, I dont think that has to mean that the only thing we get in the logo/crest is some weak looking flames.

I want this crest to rep the city, not the marketing purposes of a club. All the sleek stylistic logos we see from footy clubs these days serve that idea that a simple logo makes it easily identifiable marketing-wise.

To hell w that, I wanna see a crest with style that will rep the city. I'd like to see one symbol in the crest to rep the city and thought Parliament was the best to do so.

Unless I'm mistaken, does fury or fire have anything to do with the city? Was the name for the PDL/NASL club chosen to explicitly rep the Centennial Flame? Well, I do agree that the ship has probably sailed regarding the logo. Hey, just venting, isnt that what forums are for anyways? :)

24. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Btw, if the name Fury was originally chosen for the PDL club to represent the Centennial Flame, then I think it is actually a good choice and a good name for the club. They should just help make that connection clearer, if that is the case. I'm sure somebody here would know whether that is the case or not.

I dont want our club to be called the Ottawa Flamers, anyways :)

25. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Once again, just so we're clear, that would be a picture of a flame and the Parliament building competing for real estate on the same logo--and we don't expect some people to think it's a picture of Parliament on fire? ;)

I get your argument--trust me. And I get the need to vent. I'm not trying to shut down your right to do so via this outlet. Just trying to lend some realistic perspective.

Personally, I don't think the name is a very good one. It's just totally generic (without an explicit tie to the Centennial Flame), and it all but precludes the possibility of smuggling anything uniquely Ottawa--aside from the name of the city itself--into the design.

But so what? They picked a mediocre name, and now they're doing what Minnesota United did, by really bringing it to life with a strong, clear image. And at the end of the day, it's not the club or the crest who will make the team uniquely Ottawa's, it's the fans and the history they'll have to work hard to create. That flame might be meaningless now, but it can be an icon--a picture you'll be painting on flags for years to come, a doodle in the notebooks of hundreds (or hopefully thousands) of school kids, and an emblem you'll be proud to wear on a hat or a jacket.

Be glad that your ownership group are focusing on giving you an image like that, and consider the alternative. Think of what Carolina Railhawks and Atlanta Silverbacks have to go through with their respective logos and team identities. Be grateful. Very, very grateful.