Crash Course Thread...

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Coach Stew, Nov 19, 2016.

1. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #76 rca2, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Exactly. Your approach is what I used with U10gs playing 11v11. Also I rotated players through the positions so they learned to read the game regardless of where they were on the field. It is like using both feet, just takes some practice.

If Coach Stew had a JV program, then he could work on fundamentals and reap the benefit in junior and senior years. The problem is that high school is not designed for player development. Too short a season and too many games.

First a qualifier, I have zero experience coaching high school teams. If it was me, I would assign players to positions (primary and alternate). Then I would use functional training specific to my system and the player's assigned positions. Generally speaking I would probably use a zone defense defending the middle third and depend on counterattacking and set pieces for the offense.

My thinking is that the longer we possessed the ball, the more predictable our play and the more likely our opponent would win the ball back. I am not talking about kick and run. I am talking about getting the ball quickly to the best players and having 3 of them within supporting distance of each other when in possession. I expect that the team has zero competent wingers. So plays down the wings will be diversions to stretch the defense. Flank attacks would be early diagonal crosses and runs inside to the post rather than to the flag. In other terms the dangerous attacks would come from inside forwards and not true wingers.

Functional training over the course of the season would focus on a number of topics including:

defensive team shape for each line separately and then on combining the lines.

1st defender recovery runs after being beaten (every position gets this).

back line and holding midfielder shape while in possession to protect against the counter.

establishing team shape after losing the ball (every line gets this).

transition to attack, left side and mirror image right side versions. (I would pattern this like I was taught fast break basketball. Ball winner makes outlet pass to open midfielder who looks for 3rd player running diagonally. Team supports by filling in the lanes. In fact this is not the team, but rather the "3" best attacking players countering while the other players establish a good shape against the opponent's counter.)

Later in the season I would start addressing set pieces.

The practice session format would include

10 minutes of technical ball work during the warmup like the 1000 touches drill (which I would ask players to also practice individually on a daily basis). The last part of the warmup would be a technical-tactical exercise tailored to that session's training objective.

The next two phases would be progressive functional training. The second exercise builds on the first. Usually the second involves a larger slice of the game than the first. While the first might involve little or no pressure, the second would involve opposition and some way of scoring for both (or all) sides.

Please note that this may mean having 2 or 3 different exercises running simultaneously so that backs, midfielders, and forwards are all getting some functional training. Obviously it would help if you had 3 assistants so you could divide responsibility for backs, mids, forwards, and keepers. Plan B is to use team captains as assistants.

That would lead to a more game-like scrimmage involving the full team. Due to numbers it may have to be half a team attacking the other half with 1 large goal and 2 counterattacking goals or 7v7, instead of 11v11. The purpose of which is for the players to demonstrate knowledge of the system and the coach to give feedback.

I always like to end with some unrestricted play. Everyone plays because soccer is fun, so I give them some fun.

Cool down and recovery as normal.

Because of the heavy match schedule, most of the in-season sessions would have to be lower intensity to promote recovery rather than build fitness.

Hope that helps a little.

Coach Stew repped this.