Coutinho - the boy from Brazil! Wax lyrical here...(off to Barca)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by revelationx, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really gonna miss this guy. Hell of a player. I'm going to watch more Barca... it may be hard but I miss watching Luis too; he had a great goal today. I don't want to miss Coutinhos best years just because he's not playing for LFC.

Farewell, lil magician! o7

imasyko repped this.
  2. canucksh

canucksh Member

Jun 2, 2015
    There was also £35m spent on Oxlade-Chamberlain who in theory can provide similar creative output but with added speed and work rate but less goals.

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge TV money as well - didn't need to sell Coutinho to buy all these given our very low net spend the last several years. This money NEEDS to be invested very very well.

4. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a BIG 'theory'...

Fussballer and SamScouse repped this.
  5. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The kid bailed us out many a time with a brilliant free kick, amazing strike, a great assist. He was a pleasure to watch, especially last and this season.
    We will miss him.
    Good luck to him.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, apparently he wasn't lying about this last injury. He has a thigh injury and out for 20 days.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm crying a river. No really, can't stop the tears.

(and if it ever matters to Barca if he's out for 20 days - it's not like he can play in the CL, and they are comfortably winning the league).

8. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    No question that Liverpool don't need to completely offset buys with sales. However like you mention, they have behaved that way for years on the transfer market.

So even though it doesn't have to be the case, it's more than a little curious that they bought Salah, Keita, Ox, and VVD for big fees right before selling Coutihno. Fans might be disappointed if FSG don't bring in any high profile big signing because they already did so.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You know I don't remember losing many/any games when Phil wasn't playing. He just added Klopp a different dimension.
    Lallana and the Ox have been touted as players to fill the gap. Both great ball players but both have trouble finalizing a move. Like putting the ball in the old onion bag.

10. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nobody in the current squad replaces Coutinho's skill set, we will make adjustments in the short term. If we can somehow get another player on Klopp's MF "want list" in this month so much the better.

Getting close to time to close this thread and move on.

newterp repped this.
  11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed 200%.

Saying we'll replace Coutinho with Lallana/Ox/Milner/Henderson is hilarious. What we'll do is change our game a bit. We'll still be dangerous with the weapons we have but let's hope VvD tightens up our defense enough to make up for the 5-10 or so goals we'll miss from Coutinho for the rest of this season.

imasyko repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    actually this season we've won more games without him (66%) than with him (46%) according to the bbc stats ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42593001

soccershaggy and usscouse repped this.
  13. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did VVD sign a 5 yr deal last summer?

14. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I hope he has the same effect on his new employer.

Now, please close this maudlin thread. He's history.

15. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While I don't disagree, we need to prove it in the CL by going deep. If we can't get by Porto, then that could be another reason for the likes of Salah & Firmino to bail for Spain.

16. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OX, Milner and Hendo all have been inconsistent and should NOT be considered as replacements for Countinho. Keita will be but that's next season. We need another solution fast if we want to finish top 4 and go deep in the CL & FA.

If anything the Citeh match on Sunday should tell us where we stand and what we need immediately.

17. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When he was out at the beginning of the season due to his "back injury", we had some "issues" - 5-Nill at Citeh and more than a few draws.

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #568 Red Bird, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Yes, in a word.

All those you mentioned were scouted and were going to be purchased before Barcelona started the public courting of Coutinho. If you go back a bit, the club had sold but not spent all the proceeds in previous windows.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    One issue with the city match is we played without Mane as well. ;)

20. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And as I recall - we were, at least, threatening - before Mane got red-carded...then a man down kinda lost it...

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a bit. Early season wasteful salah missed a sure goal and Mane just missed nipping the ball ahead of their Keeper.

22. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I wish Phil well. Important part of emerging Liverpool from H&G legacy to Champions League relevance. Despite being told "no" last summer he played well and scored big goals and was not a problem for the team.

He should be allowed to choose to work elsewhere as long as Liverpool are fairly compensated, by all accounts we were. For this is the game. We take all of Southampton's talent. Bayern poaches Dortmund. PSG took Neymar. It's the system we all play. Sometimes when you play a game it's someone else's turn.

Phil didn't grow up dreaming of chilly cloudy Liverpool. He dreamt of sunny Spain and Barca. He can think well of us and still want to leave. Probably this is best not just for him, but also his family. He is not indentured.

I stand with those who recognize it's time to let him go, wish him well, and will miss what he brought and preferred he stayed.

bayern is god repped this.
  23. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coutinho won't be playing for 20 days due to an injury so at least he wasn't faking that.
    Also I look at it as if a life long scouser had the opportunity to play for LFC. Suarez bought the house next to his in case he came. I hate loosing him and still think it's terrible he's leaving half way through this very important season.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty awesome. I'm at least looking forward to those two playing together again.

25. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped watching Barca long ago. I only watch the CL games. The Spanish League is a joke. Two teams with massive money and talent, couple of teams with Spurs type money, and the rest around Champioship level. Barca was never a dream destination until Messi.

usscouse repped this.