Cougar's News 2006-7

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Seismothusiast, Nov 7, 2006.

1. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I just don't buy this "politically correct" stuff. Because I can't understand it.

Jim Rachels (whether inadvertantly or without regard) stereotyped Latinos by making an inference that they may be likely to bounce checks. That is wrong. I agree the statement is wrong, even if taken out of context or if Rachels just didn't think it through. I have no beef there.

But according to the Record's article, COMA President Linda Mora said "We're a forgiving people". Isn't that also stereotyping? She made a generalization about a group of people based on the actions of some.

I don't mean to start a political battle, or one where I (or someone in response to me) gets criticized for being insensitive because of a double standard. But is it alright for any group to stereotype when it is perceived as good, but if a commetn is critical, then it is a heinous offense to stereotype? Or is any stereotypical statement that whitey makes wrong, but from a minority group is OK? What is the line? Mora's statement that "we are a forgiving people"... does that mean I can be offended because I can take out of context that whites (or blacks, or eskimos, or Chicagoans) aren't a forgiving people?

2. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I think if anyone else asks Rachels about the incident he should say, "It's been forgiven. Remember we're talking about Mexicans."

And no one has brought this up, but what about the Americans with Mexican ancestors and other foreign and native Hispanics? To lump all Cougars fans in as Mexicans implies their fan base is comprised of illegal aliens.

3. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    NSL 2004 is a racist.....................if you simply go by the following quote
    that commentary by me and the way I have interpreted NSL 2004's comments above is both wrong and taken out of context.

This is an example of how this BS gets started. Someone takes a portion of a sentance as a literal interpretation and suddenly people are apologizing for things they didn't actually say, mean or intend.

Syd forgive me for using you as an example but too many times we hear things being "taken out of context" and kind of shrug. I wanted to point out that if I take simply the their fan base is comprised of illegal aliens part of the sentance instead of the broader To lump all Cougars fans in as Mexicans implies their fan base is comprised of illegal aliens.

I think we should give both the California Cougars and people who are Mexican-American the benefit of the doubt that they have the ability to see through this kind of stuff.

4. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Great, this is going to come back to bite me when I'm old enough to run for President in 2012.

5. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    Ok some of us have moved on. 21-14 tonight against Detroit. They looked much more like an indoor team, much better defensively. Good work Cougars and Bernie.

6. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

Syd for President???? We could do worse.

7. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Can I count that as an endorsement?

8. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here is the Stockton Record match report on last night's game:

Cougars right ship against Ignition

That's two sharp games under Lilavois' direction. Hey CaliforniaSoccer, you were much closer in your prediction.

9. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    That writer isn't the usual Cougars reporter is she? She was pretty hard on the attendance and the e-mail "scandal" constantly repeating it throughout the article.

Were there more no-shows than usual or did it seem about the same?

10. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    Two different articles here is the second one
    http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070204/A_SPORTS0202/702040336/-1/A_SPORTS07

I have been wondering about those attendance figures all season, there never looks to be anywhere near 3,000 which is what they post each night, around a 1,000 is much more accurate in my opinion.

However, the first article did not do Tovar's goal justice, chipping the goalie from his own half of the field, that was a major turning point in the game, Detroit were just getting back into the game.

11. uopalum1997

uopalum1997 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Turlock
    I was at the game...there were 3k in attendence. Even brought along a friend and made a convert! Maybe if Lori Gilbert were actually AT the game, and not hanging out at the Waterloo boccee club, she could get the facts in her article right. :cool:

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh.

Joined yesterday.

1 post.

That's it up there.

Interesting.

13. uopalum1997

uopalum1997 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Turlock
    Not to get off topic, but, whats your point ken?...do we all have to have started posting back in 1999 to be legitimate?

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that you're a sockpuppet, most likely. Or an agent provacateur.

15. wolf2018

wolf2018 New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    thanks for the vocab. lesson... i didn't know what a sockpuppet was until now... learn something everyday i guess...

16. Brien Martin

Brien Martin New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    DeKalb, IL
    C'mon, now, Kenn ... if she's a huge Foreigner fan, let's not hold that against her :D

Brien "Obscure References R' Us ..."

17. uopalum1997

uopalum1997 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Turlock
    No ken, I'm a guy who decided to finally post, because after having to suffer thru reading lori gilbert in the stockton record for the past 14 years, she'll gush over football, baseball, basketball, tiddlywinks, uno, etc....but when it comes to soccer she always finds a way to put it down, even if it is her hometown team.....as for sockpuppet?...no thanks, never been a big fan of mr. rogers neighborhood :)

18. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Welcome uopalum1997. The more Cougars supporters on these boards the better.

19. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  20. uopalum1997

uopalum1997 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Turlock
    hmm, as far as local talent, one name that would come to mind is adolf gregorio....local HS produced, played in the english 2nd division and for real salt lake for a while....was on the US u-17 team....he now plays locally for a semi pro team out of turlock

21. Jasper Snoopington

Jasper Snoopington New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Missouri
    The Cougars signed Bayard Elfvin, who was arguably the best backup keeper in the league last season. He appeared in nine games with six starts for the Steamers in 2005-06 and had a very respectable 3.89 goals against average with a 3-3 won/loss record. He won the MISL Goalkeeper of the Week award two times.

Looking at the stats of the current Cougars goalkeepers, Elfvin would certainly appear to be an improvement. Of course, last season, his stats weren't hurt by the help he got from the Steamers' rock-solid defensive unit.

I don't know how missing this much of the season will affect Elfvin, but it will be interesting to follow his progress and see how he develops. He could very well be a starter in the making in the MISL, especially with the expansion opportunities that next season will offer.

http://www.californiacougars.net/news/?cat=15&id=528

22. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  23. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    I agree. Elfvin was well thought of by some in the Steamers organization, who had projected him as a potential starter should Brett Phillips retire.

24. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  25. Capt. Chaos

Capt. Chaos Member

Chicago Fire & Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2005
    Way out in the land of the setting sun
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    The "Middle Earth Reject" is back in the league. so now you guys actually have a shot at making the Carpet'y Four come April.