Cougar's News 2006-7

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Seismothusiast, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm glad to see that there have already been three articles in the Stockton Record since the season opener. Todays (11/7/06) is just a good publicity piece:

Break is welcome relief

One new piece of information:

"Susi honored

Midfielder Aaron Susi, who assisted on three goals, including the winner, was named the MISL's offensive player of the week."

2. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    What was the attendance like?

3. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Stockton Record reported 3,658 fans. They were very loud at times, but pretty quiet when things weren't looking good.

4. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here is the write-up of the Cougars/Wave game in the (11/12/06) Stockton Record:

Cougars rally for second win

It sounds like both coaches were disappointed with their team's performances. I wasn't able to make it to this one, and was very curious about attendance. The article reports only 2,305 fans. Hopefully starting 2-0 will put a few more butts in the seats.

6. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From todays Stockton Record (11/14/06):

So far, so good for 2-0 team

I found this little tidbit interesting.

"The Cougars are awaiting work visas issues for Brazilian defender Adilson De Lima and Mexican midfielder Eduardo Velez. General manager Emily Ballus said the Cougars have asked the Immigration and Naturalization Service to expedite the visas."

7. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    Seismothusiast:
    I attended both games, if you have have any say on what goes on, can you PLEASE tell them to shut that damn music off during the game, just blasting music out the entire game is not going to help. I was already sick with trying to figure the god damn scoring system, I can't take it much longer.

How to know when your league/team is dying = the amount of music being played during the game/more than one point for a goal.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, blasting musing during game play is just stupid. They finally figured that out at Steamers games. They would still play music. But not all of the time. And not as loud as before. But ya it is stupid. and it gets annoying as heck with kids jumping around too.

9. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry CaliforniaSoccer, I'm just a fan. If it helps, I can tell you it was a lot worse last year. The next time I call the office for tickets, I'll be sure to suggest dropping the music. I did so several time last season.

10. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002

Not to sound like an old man, but the music couldn't have been any louder at the Blast game.

The MISL doesn't get that the idea is to get the fans emotionally involved in the sport. You can't cheer or yell or do anything that interactive at a Blast game except sing along to the SpongeBob theme song.

11. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the Wave's opener, it would have been a lot more fun in the Arena if the Storm's fans could have been heard above the music. When music wasn't played, I could hear them pretty clearly and I was sitting kitty-corner from them. If their chants were heard by the Wave fans all night, it would have been interesting to see what Wave fans would/could chant in reply.

And I was actually a Bucks game the other day, and the music during play is WORSE than at the Wave game. The Bucks game was an auditory assault... it was never quiet. The quietest part of the event was the commercials on the Jumbotron because those aren't as loud as the canned music or the house band.

12. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    You are an old man! ;)

Re: the music...this is true. Have they ever been to an MLS match?

At DC United matches, the crowd makes the match. What a concept!

And what about the kids all yelling the sponsor's names during the match? If I were a parent, I'd be so proud! :D

13. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    I think the "sounds of the game" is part of what makes soccer enjoyable i.e players yelling at each other, the sound of a good hard tackle, the ball hitting the boards. If you take that away, you take away part of the experience of going.

And yes!!!!! I fully appreciate marketing the game to kids and the benefits that go along with that in terms of helping soccer in this country, but for F's sakes, I am trying to watch the game and there is a game of "tag" going on around me, its time for an adults section at the game!!!!!!! Besides, I not sure marketing games towards kids is reallly the right way to go. Getting kids to go to professional sports events is not difficult, but you need to treat them as professional sports events, not as entertainment for a five year old.

14. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. StingStorm

StingStorm New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I hope he is ok. I never like to see anyone injured.

16. CaliforniaSoccer

Mar 21, 2006
    Hey Cougars!! Update your bloomin web site! Why is it when a team losses a game or two, the official web site pretends it didn't happen. Build a fan base, people actually do care what happens on the road games, I don't give a rats a** about voting for the new public address announcer.

17. StingStorm

StingStorm New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I agree. I can at least say that the Storm site win or lose has the game story and game breakdown on the same day.
    Cougars were all over the 2-0 start but nothing about the 2 loses .
    Even when you lose , the press is good because the product is being talked about.
    I am sure the Cougar fans want to read about every game.

18. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From todays Stockton Record (11/26/06):

Dayak wants Cougars to kick slow starts

A good article with some tv/radio/webcast information at the bottom.

I certainly agree with you guys that the Cougar's website has been lack luster. On a positive note I got a cold call from their sales department pushing the upcoming games. Since there hasn't been an effort like this in the past, I consider this a sign of the more agressive advertising we were promised.

19. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  20. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From todays Stockton Record (11/28/06):

Road looms next for slumping team

Finally some good news:

"Immigration and Naturalization Services finally had some good news for the Cougars. The team was told Brazilian Adilson De Lima received approval on his P-1 visa request and will be flying back to Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Wednesday to meet with U.S. Embassy officials. He should be back in Stockton by next week and eligible to play immediately.

De Lima has been practicing with the team, and Dayak said he's eager to get him on the field."

21. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. ucantcme

ucantcme New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    I hope that the resignation of Emily Ballus isn't a case of jumping from a sinking ship. It wasn't that long ago that she was hailed as the savior of the franchise.

Now, less than a year after being hired, she's having "philosophical differences" with the owners.

I agree it doesn't look like a good sign.

23. FireFanKeith

FireFanKeith Member

Mar 6, 2000
    chicago,il usa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ucantcme

ucantcme New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    I think the "differences" she was having with the new owners is that she wasn't getting the job done. Per game attendance is down from last season and last season's owners wanted to fold.

The article said the new owners would take over her job duties. I read that as "saving money". She may have been earning 60 to 100 grand a year, I don't know. Another thing is by making this change now, they might have a chance to improve things for the rest of the season.

If in fact the new owners want to hire a new GM, they might see if Zoran Savic is interested in moving west. Hey, he's only sunk two franchises. Third time's a charm!

25. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    Based on this news, the league may not finish the season. Attendance is horrible everywhere but Baltimore and Philadelphia. Owners may have money but owners that interfere with team operations are rarely successful. Losing and small crowds will doom California. I'd be amazed if they finish the season. If they go mid-season, it would be the end of the league since the HONORABLE EDWIN F. HALE has indicated in the past that he is not interested in a five team league.

If the League does finish the season they could have six for next year but that could be Newark, Orlando, Baltimore, Detroit, Philadelphia and Monterrey.