Cosmos B join the NPSL

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by msilverstein47, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  2. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos B Announce First Players and Opening Game

The New York Cosmos announced today the signings of three players who will be loaned to the Cosmos B team. Midfielders, Ruben Bover Izquierdo and Cristhian Hernandez, pending receipt of their P1 visas and defender John Neeskens will join the newly formed reserves squad. As per club policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

The Cosmos B will play their opening fixture against the Brooklyn Italians on May 2, straight after the first team’s game against Ottawa Fury at MCU Park, making it free to fans that can enjoy two games for the price of one.

http://www.nycosmos.com/news/2015/04/15/cosmos-b-announce-first-players-and-opening-game

oneeyedfool repped this.
  3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    From MLS to Cosmos B? What a career move is that?

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I read that he, Bover and the other guy signed for the first team but are loaned to B.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    3 guys that were in MLS untill recently and now accept a loan to the Cosmos B-squad ?

6. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need more depth for Open Cup play anyway.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they intend to play their way into the first team. Neeskens is likely an injury away from a fragile defense from that happening. Bover has a much more difficult task depth chart wise

nanoGVSP repped this.
  8. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would have liked more games in BK and or Queens, what a great opportunity to connect with the Boroughs and they didn't take full advantage. What is the roster looking like? I saw nothing about who made the cut in the tryouts, I bet Haji Wright will play with them for a while, probably even Diosa. I'll be going to the BK game hoping to be able to stick around for both matches.

brentgoulet and Sam U El repped this.
  9. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... To be honest it would be nice if they could look at playing games in other Borroughs since they don't have a stadium... They could make a traveling roadshow within the Metro Area which could serve to Market the team locally... Of course Yankee stadium would be out of the question. :sneaky:

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wright*
    Chirishian* - Flores* - Bover
    ? - ?
    Diosa* - Neeskens - ? - Mulligan*

Broome/Holt*

Bench: Broome/Holt, C. Hernandez, Ilgin, Mkosana*

* first team player getting games in

11. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Haji Wright gonna get sent to Cosmos B? I mean he's not even making the Cosmos 18 right?

12. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First team players who are not getting regular minutes are likely to rotate in and out of Cosmos B while there remain a core of B players like Neeskens, Bover, Hernandez and Ilgin

USAsports6 repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos will play a regular season game in 2015 at Coney Island’s MCU Park. As part of their NASL Spring Season schedule, the Cosmos will face Ottawa Fury FC Saturday, May 2 at MCU Park. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. ET. The inaugural game of New York Cosmos B, the club's new reserve side, will follow Cosmos-Fury FC. Cosmos B will take on the Brooklyn Italians in a NPSL Northeast Region matchup.

14. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So there's about a week left and still no roster for Cosmos B, I know we'll probably have some A team players starting, but there should still be a roster. There was tryouts and to my knowledge there was no anouncement about who made the team. I hope they've been practicing at least!

15. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reddit AMA with Alecko:

http://www.reddit.com/r/NYCosmos/comments/34fapc/im_alecko_eskandarian_assistant_coach_for_the_new/

[–]New York CosmosCosmosCowbell 1 point 3 hours ago
    What goals do you have this season for Cosmos B as a team? League positioning or player development or both?
    [–]newyorkcosmos 1 point 3 hours ago
    There are several priorities I have with our Cosmos B team and they are mostly intertwined. I believe that anyone who says "winning doesn't matter" is setting a bad example. It is important to learn how to win, as well as learning how to handle to defeat. This is all part of development. However, with Cosmos B we will have the challenge of individually managing many players at different stages in their careers, and helping them grow in different areas.

[–]DeltaReaper 2 points 4 hours ago
    You talked about wanting to develop youth tactically and make them better all around players. Will they be able to join the first team on a case by case basis?
    [–]newyorkcosmos 2 points 4 hours ago
    We had some Cosmos B players train with the first team this morning, and the emphasis for them was to understand tactical movement. This will greatly benefit our B players and is something that is important to Gio and myself.

[–]Stephcaflowne 1 point 4 hours ago*
    What up, Alecko. Congrats on the Cosmos B gig!
    I love what the Cosmos did with the Haji Wright signing. Will there be a continued push to sign young guys out of college and/or MLS academies?
    [–]newyorkcosmos 2 points 4 hours ago
    We are always actively pursuing the opportunity to sign good players.
    permalinkparent
    [–]Borough BoysNYCRovers 1 point 4 hours ago
    Are you concerned about the level of competition the NPSL will provide for Cosmos B, I mean you have players with Serie A, la Liga, Sweedish 1st div, and MLS experience, will the College kids be able to keep up?
    [–]newyorkcosmos 4 points 4 hours ago
    No. I know some of the NPSL teams have quality players with professional experience, and some have younger talent. Cosmos B also will have many players without ANY professional experience, some without even any college experience. I have enjoyed the process of seeing these players progress but am also mindful that it will take time. The majority of our players are under the age of 22.

17. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What goals do you have this season for Cosmos B as a team? League positioning or player development or both?
    There are several priorities I have with our Cosmos B team and they are mostly intertwined. I believe that anyone who says "winning doesn't matter" is setting a bad example. It is important to learn how to win, as well as learning how to handle to defeat. This is all part of development. However, with Cosmos B we will have the challenge of individually managing many players at different stages in their careers, and helping them grow in different areas.

You talked about wanting to develop youth tactically and make them better all around players. Will they be able to join the first team on a case by case basis?
    We had some Cosmos B players train with the first team this morning, and the emphasis for them was to understand tactical movement. This will greatly benefit our B players and is something that is important to Gio and myself.

What up, Alecko. Congrats on the Cosmos B gig! I love what the Cosmos did with the Haji Wright signing. Will there be a continued push to sign young guys out of college and/or MLS academies?
    We are always actively pursuing the opportunity to sign good players.

Are you concerned about the level of competition the NPSL will provide for Cosmos B, I mean you have players with Serie A, la Liga, Sweedish 1st div, and MLS experience, will the College kids be able to keep up?
    No. I know some of the NPSL teams have quality players with professional experience, and some have younger talent. Cosmos B also will have many players without ANY professional experience, some without even any college experience. I have enjoyed the process of seeing these players progress but am also mindful that it will take time. The majority of our players are under the age of 22.

Prosoccercdn and Sam U El repped this.
  18. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 oneeyedfool, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    brentgoulet and Sam U El repped this.
  19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  20. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos B Players:

• John Neeskens, CB (captain the first match)
    • Dani Euvy, D (reportedly signed but did not play yet)
    • ? Costa, LB
    • Kelvin Preciado, CB
    • ? Rodriguez, RB
    • ? Addison, D
    • Ruben Bover, M
    • Kaan Ilgin, M
    • Dane Murphy, M
    • Christian Hernandez, M
    • Brian Cunningham, M
    • (Vincent?) Mediate, M
    • Julian Stahler, M
    • Carl-Oscar Andersson, M (reportedly signed but did not play yet)
    • Fernando Marques, M (reportedly signed but did not play yet)
    • Moriken Sangary, F
    • Miguel Herlein, F (reportedly signed but did not play yet)
    • Caicedo?
    Cosmos first teamers who played with B:

• Brian Holt, G
    • Keesel Broome, G
    • Hagop Chirishian, M
    • Haji Wright, F

nanoGVSP and brentgoulet repped this.
  21. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wonder how many of this names are local kids that are given a chance like Ilgin, IMO bringing local talented young players will connect the Cosmos with the community more than bringing on a bunch of players most of us don't know very well if at all.
    On a different note, any highlights anywhere? I was at the game freezing my a$$ off, but had to leave because some of us couldn't take it. I wish I could have stayed to see them play, there was plenty of people with BK Italians gear, I think even the ball boys where academy players for the Italians.

brentgoulet repped this.
  22. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I hope Haji keeps up the scoring, so that eventually we may see him get a few minutes with the A team. I didn't see the game but have seen him play before, he's an exiting player. On a side note I thought Dane Murphy had retired and was now scouting for the Cosmos. Is this the same guy ?

24. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was him, just helping the team out until the international guys get cleared to play perhaps