Copa Libertadores rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by doublephantasy, Jan 26, 2016.

1. doublephantasy

doublephantasy New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if Fox Deportes is going to be showing the Copa Lib again this year? The first games are February 2, and there are no listings showing up on my guide. I'm hoping I'm just jumping the gun and the guide has yet to be updated, but the whole CONMEBOL vs US Department of Justice thing has me wondering....

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what confederational champion other than UEFA would get to start the 2016 Club World Cup in the Semifinals if there was no Copa Libertadores winner.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    0.0% chance of happening though.:coffee:

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    MetroChile and doublephantasy repped this.
  5. doublephantasy

doublephantasy New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woo hoo, just saw the games on my uverse guide too.

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really hoping that Univision would have picked up CL and I could watch thru FuboTV. It sucks being a cord cutter when stuff is on Fox and I can't bring myself (and my wife) to pay for FoxSoccer2Go.

8. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Should we get used to this or are they going to go back to showing UCL replays instead of live Copa Libertadores starting in two weeks? Does ESPND have the Spanish rights for any UCL knockout matches? That would keep the conflicts to a minimum given there are only 2 UCL matches per day now

10. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    ESPND does have rights to the UCL knockout stages. As a matter of fact, they have already chosen the matches they will show:

Tuesday - February 16:
    PSG v Chelsea

Wednesday - February 17:
    Gent v Wolfsburg

Tuesday - February 23:
    Arsenal v Barcelona

Wednesday - February 24:
    Dynamo Kiev v Manchester City

The other match each day will undoubtedly be on Fox Deportes LIVE so I don't see a conflict with Copa Libertadores. I thought they did a decent job of showing live matches last season from this competition. The problem tends to be more kickoff time conflicts rather than repeat broadcasts. I guess we should hope for Puebla to qualify as that would bring another Liga MX team to the competition and therefore guarantee more coverage on FOXD.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

BocaFan repped this.
  11. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Fox Deportes shows almost every game, which is great. But the problem is that every game shown on delay is edited 3-10 minutes. I've said it multiple times before, but I know y'all are losing sleep waiting to hear it again: the ridiculous choice to show pre-game stuff (sometimes guys just talking while we're looking at an empty pitch) and half-time stuff instead of game action makes no sense. But the the idiotic add-on is the in-game edits. Fox will show 2 minutes straight of a player being cared for by the medical staff after getting clobbered and yet find some other place to cut. And then they kick us in the teeth by running the ticker during almost all delayed games, but it's not a ticker with any legitimate news; it's a ticker that shows us goal leaders, assist leaders, and current positions in the standings for the major domestic leagues. Seriously? We need our screens shrunk with this information for 1/2-2/3 of the game?

If they would show full games and get rid of the ticker, Fox Deportes would be heaven for CONMEBOL club football.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  12. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed that for the first time (at least for the first time in many years), Copa Libertadores games and highlights are listed on Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer2go. That should be really wonderful because, despite all the glowing commentary above, please recall that Fox Deportes has FREQUENTLY shown baseball and Champions League replays over live Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana. I believe even one of the semi-finals was not shown live last season. With regard to FS2go for instance both the São Paulo-Cesar Vallejo and the Racing-Puebla games are listed on the app even though they will partially overlap. Great news!

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good catch daniloni.

Makes it much more tempting for me to purchase Fox Soccer Plus and FoxSoccer2go. Or at least negotiate with Dish retention department for a few free months of Fox Soccer Plus.

14. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Damn. This is what I get for not looking more closely at the TV guide or this forum. I watched the Racing-Puebla game on Fox Deportes but did not even think to look at FS+. I rarely look at that channel during the middle of the week except for Europa League or FA Cup matches. Now I'm stuck with the Fox Deportes edit tomorrow of the Sao Paulo game. If FS+ keeps up with Libertadores that will be huge since they've got about 75% of the Libertadores matches on delay on Fox Deportes next week (again, all will be edited). Now the question will be if the games are in HD on DTV since DTV often skimps and shows games in SD even though the game is live and supposed to be in HD.

BTW, if anyone watched the Sao Paulo game, was commentary in English or Spanish and if in English was it one of the Fox dudes (hopefully not Danny Lee) or did they have some kind of feed commentary?

15. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Looks like FS+ is continuing with coverage of Libertadores into the group stage. Replays of Europa League games from FS1 and FS2 will cut into the Thursday lineup but they've got multiple games scheduled on Tuesday and Wednesday plus delayed broadcasts of other games. Now the million dollar question for DTV subscribers is if DTV will actually turn on 621-1 so we get HD. Currently 621-1 shows Upcoming Australian football on Tuesday. Why they can't populate 621-1 earlier is beyond me. If they do show these games in HD this will be a good year for Libertadores because we will be able to avoid Deportes edits of delayed games (or minimize watching edited games since a few will still likely air on delay).

HomietheClown repped this.
  16. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Kudos to Fox. They finally learned that people may be interested in the Libertadores outside of us Spanish speaking Deportes subscribers.

I am willing to bet anyone the ratings will be better than rugby and Australian soccer.

18. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    621-1/HD now indicates that all 4 matches being shown live on Tuesday and Wednesday will be available in HD. Thursday match is still "empty" but have a feeling FSC+ will do right for all Copa Libertadores matches this season.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

19. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Yeah, I sent DTV an email (found a way to get directly to some of the sports engineers) and they wrote back that it was populated, so that happened overnight. This is great news. Assuming that Thursday's single game is added to FS+ and the two on Deportes, that means all games are live in HD except the Corinthians match. One edited match will be a big improvement over every season in the past (Libertadores or Sudamericana). And it's a big improvement for FS+, which I have noted many times before does not live up to the $15 premium pricing. This gets us there for me personally if they follow through with Libertadores for every match day (something that is easier to do as the CL and Europa move toward the end of the season).

20. kalin21

kalin21 Member

May 26, 2009
    TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    are the games available in spanish audio on foxsoccer2go ?

21. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    What is everyone's thoughts on first week of group stage Liberatadores coverage?? It's great that Fox Sports Plus added these games, which definitely makes a $15 a month subscription on some places more worthwhile. Fox Deportes coverage so far hasn't been great. I wasn't expecting them to show repeat of same Champions League game at 6pm yesterday that they showed live 3 hours prior in place of a live Liberatadores game. I get that Mexican teams are really only legit draw on that channel, but still, kinda shitty.

At worst, I was hoping live games would be available on foxsports2go as overflow but not the case.

P.S-Who was announcing English coverage on Fox Soccer Plus for anyone who watched?

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  22. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I see that foxsportsgo.com as been revamped. Now when I log in Fox Deportes no longer shows up channel wise as an option to stream. I have Directv. Anyone else having any problems with this?

23. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Hmmmm....Looks like you can stream Fox Deportes directly from the Directv website.

24. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    In "Settings" (top right corner) check the box "Show Fox Deportes Programs".

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

25. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How long does Fox have the rights for this?

I wish Telemundo or Univision would buy at least half the rights