Copa Libertadores 2013 (Semifinals discussion) [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, May 31, 2013.

?

¿Quién será el Campeón de la C.Libertadores 2013?

1. Atlético-MG(BRA)

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Independiente de Sta.Fe(COL)

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Olimpia(PAR)

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Newell's old boys(ARG)

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nope, Nahuel has never been called up. He's fairly young for a keeper, though (27), so he may yet have a chance.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Another PK foul by a NOB player that the ref does not call.

3. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Another dive by Tardelli that the ref called

4. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    the winner of this match will win the final

[]__[]

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  5. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    I wouldn't bet on it

6. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I would

[]__[]

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ¿Quien apagó la luz?

8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was Santista1962

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    We're at the 100th minute. How many more?

11. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Bogus power outage.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    For a 4th straight year, 8th straight since 2005, and 19th time since 1992, Brazilian soccer has a representative in the final. But as far as I'm aware, it was the first time that a Brazilian club reached the final with something this peculiar and strange happening at around ... when did the lights go out? The 30th, 35th minute?

Even if this wasn't intentional - I just don't like it. Corinthians last year, Santos in 2011, Internacional in 2010, SPFC in 2005... this "stuff" didn't happen.

Jô and Richarlyson are fortunate Casco and Cruzado missed.

I was - until the lights went out.

I'm sorry, Cigar_City - your team did not deserve to go out like this.

13. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Man, that was some poor penalty shooting on the third and fourth penalties on both sides...

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I agree. I was taken aback given how Newell's was so focused in its quarterfinals PK shootout.

And before anybody here accuse Atl.-MG of cheating (the lights), give credit to Atl.-MG's players - they did what they had to do, especially when the shootout happened. But I stand by my earlier post - I feel bad for Newell's. It is true Newell's has only itself to blame for its failures in the shootout, but it played a good match otherwise; I do think the ref failed to call 2 PKs in Atl.-MG's favor, but Newell's didn't play dirty, Guzman made good saves, and the team fought to the end.

15. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Newell's is out cause Mateo, instead of letting Guzmán grab an easy ball, half-cleared it to an open Mineiro player who was in a great position to shoot.

16. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Galo did their job and got things done so credit to them, but I'm very disappointed with Newell's performance, especially after all of their work achieved in the first leg last week. The first goal and Heinze's injury knocked the wind out of them so they largely decided to set back and dwell on that minimal advantage but Atletico were very open and could have been troubled more often if Newell's had shown more interest and opportunism in going forward on the counter. They had two or three good opportunities that they wasted but they should have been more positive and try to score the goal to finish it off. Instead they got punished, but the whole lights going out was ridiculous. It was around the 65th minute I believe Century's Best.

Last 5 of the 6 penalties in the shootout were very poor. Newell's failed to establish an advantage at any point after those two misses and they paid the price ultimately. All their hard work built up throughout this competition ruined tonight which is the biggest shame.

Hard to see past Galo winning this now but Olimpia have proven themselves more capable of being able to play better defensively and hold an advantage than Newell's have. If they win the first leg in Paraguay, I can see them winning it this year.

17. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Semifinal, vuelta:

Atlético-MG(BRA) vs Newell's old boys(ARG) 2:0
    Goles de Bernard y Guilherme(al minuto 90:eek:)
    En el global empataron 2:2, y en penales ganó Atlético-MG 3:2, y jugará la Final contra Olimpia(PAR).

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Indeed, Galo did do its job. I agree with you - whereas Newell's was brave, tough, and offensive last week, dominating most of the match, tonight (at least in the first half) the locals thoroughly dominated the visitors.

In the round of 16 vs. Corinthians, Boca Juniors went to Brazil with a 1-0 advantage. They knew that if they scored one, it'd be nearly game over. Carlos Amarilla's grotesque errors notwithstanding, Riquelme's early goal all but sealed Corinthians' elimination. Now, this was a different match, and Atl.-MG was on fire. But if they had scored a single goal when it was still 1-0, NOB would've probably advanced.

Atl.-MG is fortunate RG10 was clutch and that Maxi Rodriguez failed when he couldn't. The 3rd and 4th penalties for both were as you said very poor. A championship team cannot miss two straight PKs as both did in a semifinal shootout. Olimpia hasn't needed PKs in this Libertadores, but I have a feeling they wouldn't miss two back-to-back PKs.

Yesterday I wrote a post saying that regardless of who won tonight, that for some reason, I think Olimpia will win it. Atl.-MG's dominating first half did make me rethink that assessment. I think it's wide open now, with a slight edge towards Atl.-MG strictly because the very last game is in Brazil. And, Atl.-MG will have Réver, team captain and starting full-back, back from suspension. But - the venue will not be the Estádio Independência, where Atl.-MG has a long unbeaten streak. Instead, Mineirão stadium will host the match; it was refurbished and used for the 2013 Confeds Cup and will be used for the 2014 World Cup. Atl.-MG would be wise not to get confident simply because they have home turf - a change in venue can be a psychological blow, and the Brazilians must not forget that the last time Mineirão stadium hosted a return leg on a Libertadores final, Cruzeiro, Atl.-MG's crosstown rival, lost 2-1 after starting the match 1-0.

.Azulgrana. repped this.
  19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lástima Ñulz. El que a penales mata, a penales muere.

cigar_city repped this.
  20. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Olimpia does well against Brazilian teams. Also, another thing to note is that all 3 Libertadores that we have won we played the 2nd leg away, just saying ;-)

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It may be noted as well that in the last occasion Atlético Mineiro and Olimpia encountered each other in a CONMEBOL cup knockout bracket, it was also in a final - the 1992 Copa Conmebol.

Argentina's 1990 World Cup hero and villain from the infamous 0-5 to Colombia in 1993, Goycoechea, was Olimpia's starting goalkeeper. Aílton, who incidentally was part of S. Caetano, which lost to Olimpia in the 2002 Libertadores final, started for Atlético Mineiro.

Atlético Mineiro won 2-0 in Mineirão stadium on 9/16/1992 with goals by Negrini. Caballero scored Olimpia's single goal in Manuel Ferreira stadium 1 week later.

A home-and-away 21 years ago in a now-extinct cup doesn't serve as any performance indicator. But let's see if Olimpia will do well against this Brazilian team, given it didn't do well back then.

22. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Martino screwed us by not stepping down before the Copa America knowing he wasen't gonna stay. He's partly the reason we're not going to the next World Cup.

23. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Stopped watching after the lights went out, cant believe mineiro won.

[]__[]

24. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--