Copa Libertadores 2013 (1/4 finals discussion) [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, May 19, 2013.

?

¿Quién será el Campeón de la C.Libertadores 2013?

1. Atlético-MG(BRA)

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Independiente de Sta.Fe(COL)

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Olimpia(PAR)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Fluminense(BRA)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Tijuana(MÉJ)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Real Garcilaso(PER)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  7. Newell's old boys(ARG)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. Boca Juniors(ARG)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be? no Brazilian clubs in the Semifinals?

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nah. Atletico Mineiro should dispatch those dogs tomorrow.

Semis should be Tata Matino vs. Cuca, and Huguito Almeida vs. Wilson Gutierrez.

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    that would be bizarre since there was talk of an all brazilian semi

4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Go Santa Fe!

5. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    With Boca out, we're the only former champion left in the tournament.

Dale O!!!!! :cool:

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Didn't watch the Olimpia vs. Fluminense 2nd half, but too bad Fluminense couldn't hold on. Had it advanced, we would've had a final four without any previous Copa titles, which would've added an extra measure of competitiveness.

As for Newell's vs. Boca, justice was done. Boca did not even deserve to be in the quarterfinals if we look at the return match in Brazil. Boca won fair and square in its ground in the first match, but Carlos Amarilla "garfou" (stuck a fork in) Corinthians, as we say in Brazil - a slang for robbed/ripped off. The non-called PK, the wrongfully disallowed goal turned the match around. Granted, Riquelme's goal was class. But had Marin been called for that handball, he would've had a red-card, as he'd been given a yellow 1 minute earlier.

Yesterday, Boca played a hard match, and showed resolve in the PK shootout until Martinez (a former Corinthians player - ah, the irony of fate) choked. Newell's Old Boys, the top-ranking team in its country's league, goes through, and deservingly so.

A justiça tarda, mas não falha (justice tarries, but fails not).

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think you can talk about "justice" in football, but if there was such a thing, you can hardly call it "justice" when Boca arguably outplayed Newell's in both matches and got two players red carded under questionable circumstances. But that's how football is, I'm not complaining.

It's heartbreaking to lose like that because I felt Boca was starting to play at a level of serious contenders. Newell's is a worthy semi finalist, but I fear they could dismantle the team before the tournament resumes. That would be a shame, especially if they let Scocco go.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I won't speak of the red card in the first match because I didn't see highlights, and I did read that Boca played well at home. Yesterday, Boca did have that header strike the woodwork, but Clemente Rodríguez committed an unnecessary and stupid act by "chesting" the referee. It was a deserved red card.

If I spoke of justice, and if anyone will point at the red cards as Carlos Bianchi himself has since last night, one should also look at the refereeing in the matches that allowed Boca to reach the quarterfinals. Thus, if better refereeing might have altered the destiny of the Newell's vs. Boca quartefinals, better refereeing would almost certainly have ensured that this matchup would not have even happened - Boca with 10 men, with Marin with two yellow cards, plus a PK and highly probably goal for Corinthians in the return leg - from the 9th minute.

9. Balam

Balam Red Card

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's a shame that such a powerful and elite futbol country like Brasil doesn't have the sufficient infrastructure to give our teams the courtesy of proper training facilities. There is no doubt that Brasilian clubs are superior and richer than Liga MX clubs so why stoop so low? I would expect this from Bolivia (no offense) or Argentina but not Brasil. :(
    Say what you want about CONCACAF but this would never happen here; not even in the central American countries. This is why Mexican Clubs don't care about Libertadores - there is no "prestige", as many South Americans claims, when things like this (picture), biased referring, and violence are a common occurrence, just $ signs.
    [​IMG]

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Olimpia wasted at least _three_ clear chances to make it 3-1.

If somehow the Xolos manage to get rid of Dinho & co., it'll be the first time in years that ALL the favorites get eliminated before semis (Boca, Corinthians, Mineiro, Fluminense, Velez, U de Chile, Millonarios, Libertad, Nacional y Peñarol).

11. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jajaja someone's mad about the last two world cups, with the little Argentina tossed in there. now Mexico is too good for the Libertadores too, with Brazil. Scratch the fact that the club is just an elaborate drug cover, they should feel blessed they even exist to play organized football, let alone a Libertadores.

Also I have no comment at this point on Boca, they know what happened. Play against, not for penalties.

12. Balam

Balam Red Card

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

;)

I don't support Xolos so their affairs non of my concern but to be fair to them and their fans they were created with a bunch or Liga MX/MLS rejects and old South Americans and still managed to do pretty good. One thing's for sure, at least they aren't funded by their tax payers money *cough-Argentina-cough*.

Keep your Libertadores. It's clear CONMEBOL will never allow another Sudamericana 2006 to occur so there is no point in even continuing in your tournament.

And about WC, yeah Argentina is the better team. I'm not delusional enough to think otherwise.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not enough, but you are delusional after all, eh? That explains the first part of your post.

Anyway, why doesn't your country stop sending teams to the Copa if there is no "prestige" or importance? It's not like all the South American countries got on their knees and begged you guys to join the competition.

Quite the contrary - many were (and still are) against having non-CONMEBOL teams participating. It's quite obvious that Mexican teams do have an interest in the Libertadores, if not they wouldn't even play.

xdryza and Adrian559 repped this.
  14. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, they should've trained during the day...

el Rafaa, xdryza and Steazy McCloud repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they were Liga MX Champions.

16. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    4°s de final, vuelta (en el descanso):

Atlético-MG(BRA) vs Tijuana(MÉJ) 1:1
    Goles de Riascos(T) y Réver(AM).
    En el global van 3:3, y Atlético MG(BRA) estaría clasificando a semifinales por goles de visita, y jugaría contra Newell's old boys(ARG).

17. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    4°s de final, vuelta(jugando el 2° tiempo):

En el global van 3:3, y Atlético MG(BRA) estaría clasificando a semifinales por goles de visita, y jugaría contra Newell's old boys(ARG).

Víctor le atajó el penal a Riascos en el minuto 93!!:eek:

18. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    4°s de final, vuelta:

En el global empataron 3:3, pero Atlético MG(BRA) por goles de visita clasificó a semifinales, y jugará contra Newell's old boys(ARG) en julio.

SEMIFINALES:
    Atlético-MG(BRA) vs Newell's old boys(ARG)
    Olimpia(PAR) vs Independiente de Sta.Fe(COL)

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Your rant makes absolutely no sense at all. In reality Tijuana is a great example of why Copa Libertadores is important, and why it should matter to Mexican clubs and Mexican fans.

That little unknown team that was founded only a few years ago, and that you say was created with a bunch of rejects, did very well. It earned respect, and many of us actually got behind it. I for one was bummed when it ended with that penalty as it did. Point being, by playing as they played they gave your league a lot of international prestige and credibility with their refreshing play.

You should be proud of them. I honestly can't imagine where the hell you're coming from with your post.

Adrian559 repped this.
  20. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well said good sir

xdryza repped this.
  21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Man of the match, and deservingly so.

The semifinals will be extremely competitive. We have the top 3 ranked teams from the group stage, and a team that only achieved the 12th overall ranking in the group stage, but which is on pace to win the tournament of its country's league.

I predict a "slugfest" type of contest between Santa Fe & Olimpia, whereas Newell's vs. Atl.-MG is potentially more open. Newell's is a team that goes forward and tries to win; Atl.-MG kept going forward for the second goal tonight even when it had the not-so-comfortable 1-1 advantage. Its many goals in the group stage demonstrate the offensive style of its soccer.

22. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia

LOL.

Oh yeah, the vast, conference-wide conspiracy to prevent Mexican teams from winning. This reminds me of the kind of talk from Americans that is mercilessly mocked over in World Rivalries. The entire world is out to get you because they're afraid you'll dominate too much.

But seriously though, Riascos missed the series-winning PK. Where's he from? Colombia. Open your eyes, people!

locoxriver repped this.
  23. Blu.

Blu. Member+

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    dude's on crack

24. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mexican teams participating in the Conmebol is like a Wild Hair in your ass.

25. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.

I don't want to hear any Mexicans cry about the officiating anymore.
    They were given a penalty by the officials and they could not take advantage of it.