PBP: Copa del Rey | Semifinal Leg 2 | Real Madrid v FC Barcelona | 27 February 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1 Viscaelbarca, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wednesday, 27 February 2019
    21:00 BARCELONA TIME

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Estadio Santiago Bernabéu
    M A D R I D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[​IMG]
    SCdR 06-02-2019 FT Barcelona 1 : 1 Real Madrid

SLL 28-10-2018 FT Barcelona 5 : 1 Real Madrid

SLL 06-05-2018 FT Barcelona 2 : 2 Real Madrid
    SLL 23-12-2017 FT Real Madrid 0 : 3 Barcelona
    SSdE 16-08-2017 FT Real Madrid 2 : 0 Barcelona
    SSdE 13-08-2017 FT Barcelona 1 : 3 Real Madrid

[​IMG]

VISCAELBARCA

celito and puyol repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Players in danger of missing the potential final if booked during this tie:
    Alba, Miranda, Suarez

ShortyMac repped this.
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    On Saturday Madrid coach Solari brought up how Barcelona will have an additional day of rest going into this game.

Post-match Sevilla, reporters asked Gerard Piqué his thoughts on the matter.

"In the Liga meeting I think they had an extra day's rest and it finished 5-1, no?"

ShortyMac, BocaFan and celito repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    LPB have been resting most weekends since 2017.

ShortyMac, celito, Rattlehead and 2 others repped this.
  5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Gilmango, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    May need to update when the squad list comes out, but even though Arthur and Cillessen practiced today I'm thinking that they are probably not going to be pushed to rejoin, or, even if they make the squad, not pushed to start (though that's tougher for Cillessen as he only tends to start CdR games and this is either the last or second to last one).

Start the strongest 11, I think, (1) we want to make the final, (2) the win in Sevilla gave us breathing room in La Liga whereas Madrid needed a dubious penalty call to even get back to 9 points down, not that we will start a weak squad in La Liga either, and (3) if we do really well Wednesday we may already have a psychological leg up on the weekend (and Real can start going back to what they do, all eggs in the CL basket, forget La Liga title).

MAtS
    Semedo - Pique - Lenglet - Alba
    Rakitic - Busquets - Alena
    Messi - Suarez - Dembele​

Goalie - If Cillessen is cleared he could go directly back to starting, but I'd prefer MAtS in goal.

Defense - Really hope it is Semedo as Vinicius has good speed. Great to see Umtiti back but Lenglet is more in game shape and in tune with Pique at the moment.

Mids - Raki and Busi are givens for EV (and me), but assuming Arthur won't be ready to start even if he makes the squad we are left with bad choices: Vidal has played like crap in most games lately, Coutinho is not defensive enough to play mid, Roberto could start but then they put him on the right side and that never works - if Roberto gets the start I'd prefer he played on the left. So my choice is Alena, but in truth it is hard to see EV giving him the start. More likely Vidal or Roberto as I assume at most Arthur is only ready to come on as a sub if he makes the squad.

Forwards - easy pick of LSD, Coutinho hasn't shown enough lately and Malcom won't be given the start.

celito repped this.
  6. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I agree with strong squad for CDR and then we'll see kind of thing for La Liga. This will be a tough fixture make no mistake about it because they want the Copa but we can win if we're playing to our level.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The treble dream is still alive this season for the following 7 teams (list will get reduced after this match, hence why I'm mentioning it):

Germany: Bayern
    Spain: Barca, LPB
    France: PSG
    England: Man City [4]
    Holland: Ajax
    Portugal: Porto

(* excludes teams that are more than 12 points out of first in their league)

ShortyMac and Gilmango repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just make sure to start Semedo because Vinicius Jr. would murder Roberto.

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a very insightful article about tactics involved in playing twice in a few days, but it does make the point that we played about 30+ minutes against Sevilla with Leo, Louis, Philipe, and Ousmane, in what they call a 4-2-3-1. Could we see that again, sure, but I don't think we'll see it for a full game nor for more than a short period.

10. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I want to see;

MATS
    SEMEDO - PIQUE - LANGLET - ALBA
    BUSQUETS
    ALEÑA - RAKITIC
    OUSMANE - MESSI - MALCOM​

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    0-0 doesn’t work for us. Maybe for Saturday.

12. Umm I just play FIFA

Barcelona
    Philippines
    Jan 11, 2018
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Seems the most optimal way to get the most out of our attacking talent all at once, namely 'Bouz and Couts at the SAME. DAMN. TIME!!!! I'm surprised it hasn't been rolled out often given what we were seeing last year from EV, but then again, I don't think the attackers have been at full strength very often this season.

The only issue I see is that we don't have a back-up plan once they're all out there, unless you believe in Malcom 'n the midfielders.

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Seems like something worth trying when all the attackers are in-form, even if it seems at a glance it would leave us a bit more vulnerable when Alba goes forward. Right now the question of 'how to get all of Suarez, Coutinho and Dembele on the field' has to be about last thing I'd ever worry about, to be frank. And when Arthur comes back it would be even less tempting.

15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    19 man squad list named, both ARTHUR and CILLESSEN included, one player must be dropped (Inaki Pena if Cillessen fully cleared):

The Barcelona squad list for the second leg is: Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Jasper Cillessen, Inaki Pena, Nelson Semedo, Gerard Pique, Ivan Rakitic, Sergio Busquets, Philippe Coutinho, Arthur, Luis Suarez, Leo Messi, Ousmane Dembele, Malcom, Lenglet, Jordi Alba, Sergi Roberto, Carles Alena, Arturo Vidal and Samuel Umtiti.

I'd love it if Arthur could start, given my previously expressed concerns over who teams with Busquets and Rakitic in the midfield, but I'm still thinking he comes on in the 2nd half.

16. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Just saw that Messi never scored against LPB in a Copa match. 0 goals and 3 assists in 7 matches. Hope he breaks his duck and annihilates them!

ShortyMac repped this.
  17. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's ok, he's scored against them plenty of times in La Liga. I'm relaxed about the game tonight, the one on Saturday is far more important , if we win tonight, great, if we lose it's no biggie, far rather win or draw on Saturday.

18. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    anyone remember the last time el classico ended goalless

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Couldn't agree less.:p Tonight's match is more important for me. Treble on the line. They're most likely not winning the league regardless what happens on Saturday.

unclesox and Gilmango repped this.
  20. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I'm more with @BocaFan on this one. Come on let's bury these guys!

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Doubtful we take 2 wins. I want La Liga win more. I'd take a tie here ... 2 x 2 would be just fine. :laugh:

BocaFan, Leon12 and Gilmango repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Realistically i don't think we are going to win both, although obviously that would be effing brilliant , so of the 2 i would rather win on Saturday as i think La Liga is more important than CDR. But as Celito said a 2-2 draw tonight would be nice, lol

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Probably not, but ....
    if Madrid wins tonight it might set the tone for the next match. It would be tough to rebound in 3 days, especially since there's not a lot that can be done to change the set-up of the team (assuming the strongest XI start tonight). Swapping Coutinho for Arthur is about as exciting as it could get in terms of rotation.

So although winning both sounds tough, I think a good result tonight increases the chances of a good result on Saturday.

evil_allan repped this.
  25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Gilmango, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    I think either team could win both, as loser today might either lay down saturday, or might respond with a fury.

Today we have to score and they do not. 0-0 suits them as they'd advance on away goals. So tactically they might try to park the bus and counter quickly to get an insurance goal. Not sure how well they can do that (they are pretty good at counter attacking, not sure they are good at parking the bus). If we score first then they have to attack, and could open things up for us even more. If they score first then they can really try to park the bus, but again, not sure they can keep a clean sheet for a full game against us. And playing at home may make them want to score more, put on a show, not park the bus, at least not till they score.

The Liga match though they need to win and the tables may turn. Not that we are good at parking the bus, but a draw is fine for us in Liga. While only a high scoring draw 2-2 or more works in Copa.

[​IMG]

No surprises, I just really hope we see this:
    MAtS
    Pique-Lenglet
    Semedo-Busquets-Alba
    Rakitic-Roberto
    Messi-Suarez-Dembele​

and not this:
    MAtS
    Pique-Lenglet
    Semedo-Busquets-Alba
    Roberto-Rakitic
    Messi-Suarez-Dembele​

When Roberto and Semedo are on the same side they play like idiots, Semedo doesn't get forward enough and neither does Roberto, they get in each other's way, are generally not free flowing and don't offer a good outlet or threat on the right, which is tough since Messi cuts in so much. We saw it in Roma and we saw it in Lyon.