PBP: Copa del Rey - Round of 4, First Leg - Atletico Madrid v. Barcelona - 1 February 2017

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 Gilmango, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    WTF Jasper, crap pass out to Atleti

And another crap pass from Jasper to Masch under pressure right outside the box, wtf

2. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    WTF was that throw, Jasper??!!

3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Looks like atm will equalize anytime. Lucho clueless as ever. Sub Neymar in and play 5-3-2. Put Masch back into defense.

These are the times it's obvious Lucho is a useless coach.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lucky this isn't 2 x 2 already.

5. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Jeez, Jasper's distribution the last couple times has been suicidal.

6. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Who said Barca never had it this easy against atm? It's just pure luck it's not 2-2 yet.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks ref ! :ROFLMAO:

8. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Cholo may just fly out of the stadium if he flaps his arms anymore

ShortyMac repped this.
  9. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He is been good overall but his issue like many other new players, lack of chemistry and understanding with his teammates.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Coverage is so terrible on defense. Open unmarked players everywhere.

ShortyMac repped this.
  11. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'll say it for the 100th time , Rafinha and Arda play better at the wings not in the midfield , leave it for Lucho to figure that out though

Forzabarca repped this.
  12. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good win, but that defending at the end is inexcusable.

ShortyMac repped this.
  14. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

I stick with my opinion about Lucho. He's good enough for Segunda division. When defense is being teared apart and no tiki taka to control he still plays 4-3-3 and doesn't even use last sub. Utter useless, he can't take action. Luck eventually run out and you can't rely on it.

15. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A win at the Calderón without Iniesta or Busi, I'll take it.

They had more energy at the end because we didn't play for possession in the first half, which was a great tactic that paid off.

unclesox, jfcule and Gilmango repped this.
  16. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Umtiti is a beast.
    Jasper had an OK match, but he's no MATS.
    We lost control of the midfield. Should've taken out Ney and beefed up the midfield instead of rakitic.

Gilmango and ShortyMac repped this.
  17. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Result away was good but I don't understand how this team is supposed to win anything if they fall apart just because they concede a goal. They looked so nervous jeee. Defense was in shambles. I'm glad Neymar is suspended, he's awful for what's he's paid for. Turan [emoji106]

illusion and ShortyMac repped this.
  18. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Excellent result, would have Gladys taken that result before kick off. Neymar 's awful finishing shows no sign of ending.

ShortyMac repped this.
  19. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

...lol

20. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Great result but not convincing at all.

I have thought about this for some time and will let it off my chest today. As long Messi is playing/being played through the middel, we are not going to win CL or Liga this year.

This insistence on playing Messi through the middel has made our right side too weak, both in defence and attack. While attacking the middel of the pitch is too overcrowed as Messi and Suarez are operating in very narrow spaces. The less attacking RB and less creative midfielders is giving our opponents to narrow the field while we attack and therefore it has been harder and harder to create chances. Remeber the days when Barca used to make playing field larger while attacking and narrower while defending?

This is also forcing our midfielders to play wider than they normally do and as a result if we loose a ball in attacking position, our opponents are running right through the middle and our slow midfielders are playing the catch up game.

Take today's game for example, if Messi was playing on the right side, our defenders and midfielders would have more options to pass when they won the ball back (either one of MSN). Atleticos defenders would have been streched providing more passing lanes. Pass to one of Messi and Neymar and the midfielders will have space to run right behind Suarez. This would have given us great counter attacking options while Atletico was attacking us.

However, we were very poor in counter attack as Messi and Suarez were mostly found in the same passing lane. Giving our players less passing options, making Atletico defender's job easier as they needed to defend lesser part of the field.

If we do not move Messi to the right or atleast ask Suarez and Messi to rotate in a way that one of them always stretches the field to the right side as Neymar does on the left, i think this will be one disappointing season.

21. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In case you haven't f0llowed this fixture for the past several years, here's how it tended to play out: we'd keep the ball but go only laterally because Atleti packs it in and presses us out to the wings. If we ever got a result, it was because they'd run themselves ragged chasing us all game long.

Lucho brought more directness in his tactics, and Cholo hasn't been able to cope most times. Look at the first match under Lucho vs. Atleti when MSN each scored for the first time. We tore them up because we decided to do quick counters at the risk of losing some possession. Simeone's Atleti was built to neutralize the Pep tiki-taka version of Barça, but he hasn't figured out Lucho yet.

The 2nd half turned on us because we naturally got more conservative with a 0-2 lead, and our midfield got overrun. Iniesta or Busquets would've been perfect subs to put out the fire and control matters, but neither was available today.

So yeah, lol. We got the win. But I'm sure that's in spite of Lucho, right? :rolleyes:

22. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree on the long-term, but today Messi dropping into midfield worked enough to get the result. Your analysis is pretty much the same as this fantastic breakdown of our issues on the right side from the last Clásico:

http://www.totalbarca.com/2016/12/messis-lack-position-breaking-system-clasico-thoughts-gifs/

Messi in a free role is a weakness for us, but what would you say to the GOAT?

23. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Excuse me? Worked enough to get the result? Yeah it ended 1-2 and how much of that luck did Lucho count on when he decided the tactics? It was pure luck Barca didn't let in a second. You want to see great coaching look what Simeone did at half time.. and what game changer that was. And look what Lucho didn't and they almost let a 0-2 slip to 2-2 even if two away goals are good.

If you stare at the result great, but how the second half looked... So many errors together with pure luck that they didn't put another away. Tonight those two brilliant pieces from Suarez and Messi was individual skills more or less. All the time Barca attacked with entire team Neymar blasted wide/high or others wasted the chances. I see the results as a gift really Thanks to Suarez and Messi and that ATM where also awful in finishing. There was no tactics at all imo just dumb luck. Hope they shape the f##k up cause anything could still happen in camp nou if ATM score first or get penalty then team will shit their pants once again. Can we count on luck then again? There is no stability or longevity in midfield or defense due to all the ********ing tinkering from Lucko (Luchos new name lol).

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    So we win away at atletico but we are still not happy??

unclesox, inswinger and jfcule repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Obviously the headliner is Gomes playing just okay and Lucho is an idiot for not starting the exact same XI twice a week for the entire season. Nobody cares that Messi and Luisito are setting the world on fire, or that Barca already has one foot in the CdR final.

unclesox and Gilmango repped this.