PBP: Copa del Rey - Round of 4, First Leg - Atletico Madrid v. Barcelona - 1 February 2017

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, I'm sorry but I don't have as much time as I'd like to add all the features which VEB typically does and which make our match threads nice, but the game is in 4 hours so something is better than nothing. If VEB or anyone posts another one just ignore this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So match is on at 12 Pacific, 3 Eastern in north america, check your below for rest:
    [​IMG]
    My thoughts yesterday from the season thread:

Barcelona's full squad list is as follows: Jasper Cillessen, Jordi Masip, Sergi Roberto, Aleix Vidal, Gerard Pique, Jeremy Mathieu, Javier Mascherano, Samuel Umtiti, Jordi Alba, Ivan Rakitic, Andre Gomes, Denis Suarez, Rafinha, Arda Turan, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, Neymar and Alcacer.

Rafinha has been given the medical green light, although midfielders Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets failed to recover in time. Marc Andre ter Stegen has made the cut due to technical decision, as Jasper Cillessen is the cup keeper. Lucas Digne too didn't make the final matchday squad, indirectly boosting Aleix Vidal's chances of playing time.

An away goal will be key towards Barcelona's chances to progress to the Copa del Rey final, so Luis Enrique named his strongest squad possible for the first leg against Atletico on Wednesday.

The tricky part is the midfield without Busquets and Iniesta. At DM I'd like to see Rakitic (over Masch, Roberto, and esp. Gomes); then at Rt attacking mid I'd like to see Denis (over Rakitic, Rafinha, Roberto, Turan, and esp. Gomes); finally in Iniesta's spot left attacking mid I'd like to see Turan (over all the mids already mentioned and esp. one of them).

If I got that midfield wish the defense is pretty easy but includes two choices: Alba-Umtiti (over Masch)-Pique-Roberto (over Vidal). Either way the forward line is set: NSM and Jasper in goal.

Couple media predictions of lineup: [​IMG][​IMG]
    My thoughts from Season Thread this a.m. after seeing those lineups:
    Quick updates: digne apparently has an injured knee and is not just being rotated. Both lineup predictions I've seen have Masch at DM behind Denis and Raki or Arda. Ok with Masch at DM behind Raki and either Denis or Arda but not ok sitting Rakitic. Busquets close to recovery perhaps by weekend but Iniesta further behind.

My predictions: We need the away goal. How about a goal fest 2-2, and I'll agree with the AS lineup (2nd one) as most likely what we see.

jfcule, inswinger, omajac and 1 other person repped this.
  2. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hey @Gilmango have you tried asking to be assigned as a mod in the Barca forums ? at least you will be able to sticky the game threads until @Viscaelbarca come back.

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting these threads is enough responsibility and even that is more than I signed up for, just happened I did the first one a few weeks ago when I read @Viscaelbarca could not, and it has snowballed from there. But thanks for the thought, and the reminder that if a mod could sticky this one that'd be great.

inswinger, unclesox and bronx_bull repped this.
  4. bronx_bull

bronx_bull Member

Sep 23, 2004
    We are not getting this game on tv in India, so lame

5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arca line-up vs Atletico: Cillessen, Roberto, Pique, Umtiti, Alba, Gomes, Mascherano, Rakitic, Messi, Suarez, Neymar

Damn, Gomes, instead of Denis or Arda

6. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm predicting a 1-1 draw vs the roaches!! But we bring our Raid and have to control this game!! When playing at the V. Calderon (or the Roach Motel) we CANNOT leave this game in the hands of the referees!!

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In Copa del Rey, 3 yellows cards = one match suspension.

Alba, Neymar and Umtiti enter this first leg with two bookings each.

For Atletico's part, Gabi and Lucas Hernández are each carrying two yellow cards.

8. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    See i told you so , Gomes is waaay below Denis and he still get to start because of his cost , and if Iniesta is playing then Rakitic would be benched and probably sold at the end because of this cancer called Gomes , seems like in every freaking season there is at least one player who annoys the shit out of me :mad:

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomes bothers me too, but I also recall that Luis Suarez and Marc Andre ter Stegen annoyed the $hit out of you in the past so who knows, maybe Gomes will grow on you and the rest of us. Why he is playing? Who knows? Could be cost related but we are not clairvoyant.

10. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Raki, Masch and Gomes midfield? LMAO

Very defensive and will lack creativity behind MSN

11. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Great! Craperto and Shitmes!

12. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Goal!!!!!

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LUIS
    Masch slide tackle pass to Luis, Luis "Mo Vaca" around the cow pass to himself then beats the keeper

14. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

What a Golazo! Donkey King!

15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At work, listening to Radio Barca. Happy to be off to a good start!

The commentator said that when Gomes was fouled, it should have been a yellow?

16. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Love Masch tackle that resulted in the goal , amazing effort from Donkey to get us ahead , 0-1 !!!

Forzabarca repped this.
  17. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nothing new, Raki still awful

18. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

See.. Gomes is so bad he can't even get a yellow.

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say "half a yellow" as in ref warned him and will hopefully card him up if he does it again. Could have been a 'direct yellow' but it was cynical/professional foul but not super dangerous.

20. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Luis Suárez has scored 11 goals for Barcelona with his last 16 shots on target in all competitions
    Best striker

21. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frickin' Gomes give away in dangerous place, again, like his last game

22. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For all our wonderful, silky, skillful players there is a special place in my heart for the mighty Masch.

Gilmango and puyol repped this.
  23. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    danger attack from Atletico

24. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

So can they counter in another one? Would be great to see the Barca of 2 years ago.

25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice recovery by Raki!