Copa das Confederações 2013: The test to the Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    also - i just wanted to add that last night's win will hopefully be a huge leap for Brasilian domestic football.

with 11 players from the brasilian league it says a lot. granted 3 of them were starters, to have a team win a tournament with south american home based players says a lot.

i'll be the first to admit that i had my doubts, but i like being proven wrong when it comes to futbol :)

2. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    :):D MANDINGOS.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    11 out of our 14 goals were scored either in the first or last 5 mins of the half / game. If we expand that to 10 mins, it's 13 out of 14 goals. :eek:

Another stat that ESPN showed right before the PK is that although Spain has been great in PK shootouts since 2008, they had only converted 13 /23 PKs in game time. Make that 13 / 24. Nice jinx ESPN :thumbsup:

Furnaccio repped this.
  4. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Oh, do not be silly. The anthem was also sang with gusto v Uruguay and circa 10 mins later David Luiz gave away a stupid penalty. Later on Thiago Silva was similarly idiotic passing to Cavani when he should have launched it. An anthem will only take you so far. They won because they backed it up with diligence, application and no little talent - Aand I am bloody glad they did!

5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that first goal against japan in the 2nd minute was very critical - it quickly got all the fans behind the team which was crucial considering the talk and speculation going into the tournament.

very similar to the 2007 Copa America final - went into that final as underdogs and struck a Julio Baptista goal very early on...

axxess mundi repped this.
  6. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but not necessarily for the reason you cite. I thought Brazil would win when I saw the line-up selection Del Bosque chose. In a match where energy and possession were going to be very important, he made critical errors in not selecting Fabregas, Navas and Azpilicueta from the start. I half-expected Del Bosque to return to a double pivot with Busquets and Javi Martinez (benching Xavi- who has struggled for fitness all year), but he was very bland in his team selection.

Picking Torres and Arbeloa was a joke, and Brazil certainly thought so as well.

7. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    CC or useless Fifa cup label, call it what you want. Even if it was just a exhibition, Spain got screwed like the Greek bailout plan served by the IMF. The great winning streak ended by a team that is still going through reformation.
    Yes, no one cares about the CC. So wear that black eye like a badge of honor like Italy,Argentina,Germany and Brazil has.

8. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

Fabregas may or may not have been match fit, but Navas in my book should definitely should've started for Spain. I'd also throw in Llorente, but he wasn't on the squad.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Didn't Llorente struggle this past season? I remember looking at his goal total late in the season and it was shockingly low.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I would not worry for Spain (if I were their fan) - they got a bit too many choices (like Brazil from late 90 to mid 2000s) but that's Del Bosque "good problem" to have:

Attack: Cecs, Mata, Navas, Silva, Carzola, Pedro, Isco ...
    Center MF: Xavi, Iniesta, J martinez, Xabi Alonso, Busquet, Thiago ..
    striker Torres Villa Llorente Sodaldo Negredo Telo ...

They could have made two good teams there GOSH

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

He was politically kept on the bench this entire past season for Athletic Bilbao. He refused to renew his contract, and decided to leave on free to Juventus, with a really low compensation fee. So in turn Bilbao got upset and said "fvck your career" and forced him on the bench and came on sparingly for Bielsa.

Fack Llorente

12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Him and Tevez should be a great combination Juventus have been lacking good finishers for awhile.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  13. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    One of the pundits mentioned Fabregas did something in Brazil and did not play any more, but could not say why. Was it some off the field stuff?

14. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I care about the CC. The World Cup is another thing however.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I see. I remember that Juve wanted him but when I saw he was at Bilbao, I thought the deal fell through or something.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They haven't really had a striking duo like that since the days I watched Serie A religiously. In the early 90s, the only soccer I could get was Serie A on a local channel that mirrored RAI (and I think the Mexican league). I liked watching Juve because of Vialli and Ravanelli up top. I miss those Serie A days...

17. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    I was being sarcastic on how no one cares about the CC in Europe. You hear the cowardice all the time, even if it was the WC won by non Europeans.

18. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I still enjoy the Serie A to this day but I can't say I followed it like I used to. Teams have been playing more offensively which has improved the league but it is still a great league for defending. I am curious how many Goals Mario Gomes scores this season for Fiorentina. I saw one gambling line had it over/under 12.

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Seria A is a league I enjoy as well but it has been on decline for awhile. It has been making steady improvements though. The problem for a while is most teams were losing there top stars to other leagues.

20. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Hey, wats the score of the final between AM and newells ( copa )....Any idea?

21. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    He fought with the Bilbao manager and was more or less ostracized, but he's the best striking option for Spain still. Well see how he performs up front with Tevez at Juve this season.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Its entirely possible. I guarantee you Brazil, in general, will be a huge off field problem for many teams next year. More strip poker and indiscipline please! Better for us!

23. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls