Copa das Confederações 2013: The test to the Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Apr 9, 2011.

1. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Everybody to BBW. Yeah I hate watching games there, but they will be meninos, so no bar. And we had the beach planned for a couple weeks.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're better off doing it at someone's house. Step up, ND! :p

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I said no body at WC level (as they Greece and Denmark were weak there) of course they would never win one ... (at least won;t happen in my life time). Netherland failed to win WC but theyr were always strong in WC level, OK?

2nd bold, well look at Italy, with 4 WC medals but two of them were granted a while back 80years ago, so? Everything will have to start from somewhere, and sometime ...

3rd bold, I only clarify Worm's comment (2Euros + 1WC = 3 WC's) - NO it's sometimes too far from that. Thru out history, Brazil won 5, Italy won 4 Germany 3 ... but why ONLY ONE PELE who won 3 WC's (entitled ) out of thousands of great names ? is it something special or unreal? MY point

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Check out this interview with Spanish players on some Brazilian topic and one personal topic:

5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Everyone remembers when they first got laid lol why they trying to lie

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Italy 1-0 Uruguay.

Diamanti

Kaka10725 repped this.
  7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Having to play this game in Salvador with the heat and the timeslot is more of a punishment then a reward.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    82 degrees lol. I was surprised it started this early. Even Brasileirao games never start this early.

9. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do they even start Serie b games this early? Earliest I have seen was Serie b starting at 2 eastern on a Saturday. I'm surprised it was only 82 degrees looks like 95.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nope. Earliest game I can recall.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Of course it's a punishment, they lost ! You only get rewarded only if you get into the final ! :D

82 with humidity is bad, but imagine playing in Phoenix right now !!! Some WC 94 games were played in hotter conditions too.

12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cavanniiiiiiiiiiiiii

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wasn't I right about Cavani over Suarez in this tournament? :D Tahiti helped out Suarez.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can't imagine any of these team really want to go into ET ! Specially Italy !

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

ET in a 3rd place game is pretty unnecessary in my opinion. Should just go to PKsl.

16. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    That's true for 94. Giants stadium was scorching with the heatwave we got. LA was even hotter than hell. Really not that great of a difference.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At the same time, it'd be strange to have a special rule exception just for one game although I wouldn't mind it. To be honest there shouldn't be a 3rd place match even in the WC. Is there a bronze medal for being 3rd like the Olympics ? I don't think there is.

18. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Gunna just say it now, big congrats to Brazil. Fab boost for the nation, scolari and also neymar to some extent silencing the haters.

Wow, what a tournament. One and perhaps the only confed tournament i'll always remember.

Enjoy your moment guys, alot of bull and crap has occured in recent years. Big steps forward tonight and i think your looking at the side for next summers wc right now.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Felipão is a KNOCKOUT tournament master. Bow down, mortals! :D

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Adriano ripping Argentina a new one will always be memorable!

21. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    This is more memorable for me. Spain hasn't been thrash like this during there period of dominance in a competitive game.

22. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Seeing this team getting so much better during this Cup was already great; the trashing of Spain was just the icing on the cake, and the proof that every NT in the world needs to respect Brasil.

Now, bring on the Hexa!

arun10 repped this.
  23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Congratulations! Brazil was the best team in the tournament and fully deserved winner.

As for the final, I thought before it that whatever happens, Brazil are the biggest winners of the tournament anyway as they have so clearly managed to improve from their Spring friendlies. Turned out, Brazil having the perfect match in the final and Spain the opposite, can only give Brazil more confidence I imagine.

As for the World Cup, while I wouldn't want to overestimate the importance of the results of a Confed Cup, but can't help but see Brazil as an even bigger candidate than I did before this tournament. Winning the practice tournament is always good.

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    just goes to show you the not so importance of the results of friendlies - it took several eggs to be broken but brazil jelled in time during the tournament. lack of injuries and good form went a long way.

still have 12 months to go - hopefully all the key players have a healthy club season and get enough playing team whereever they play (i.e. Fred at Man City if he ends up there or Paulinho at Spurs) i'm not a big fan of players switching teams the year before a world cup b/c all sorts of things could go awry.

nevertheless - congrats on the big win and proving to everyone that brazil is legit on well on their way to getting ready for 2014!

25. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    What a match and tournament. A few quick thoughts I had:

1: The Match was over during the National Anthem. I don't think I was the only one that felt this. After the music had stopped playing, the voice of Brasil carried on, growing stronger and louder. During the tournament, football was secondary to the real, difficult public & social issues. But for that one night, a final in the Maracana, the people stopped and reminded the world "We are Brazilian", no matter the issue. And you could feel it. I wonder if Spain could as well.

2: Spain never faced something like this. The challenge itself was daunting. Brasil in Brasil, but a Brasil charged by the fans and really representing their country... it was too much for any team to face on that day. Also, Spain hadn't faced Brasil in a high stakes match in a very, very long time. The pressure, the quality pressure and willingness to beat them was a bit overhwelming.

The pressure had gotten to Brasil. It did, because they played angry, and at the same time entertaining (Neymar) football. They had a point to prove. The comments the occasional, perhaps 'bandwagon' fan would make - "Brasil aren't what they used to be", "Brasil is overrated", "Brasil will be lucky to make it out of the group stage in 2014" and my favorite - "Brasil are afraid of Spain" offered plenty of ammunition for the onslaught. I do think Spain can beat Brasil, still. Any other day, or in a few months time, the result could've/could be different. But last night - they didn't stand a chance and were shocked.

3: Neymar will still have his doubters, but then they'll never be satisfied. Because with last night's performance, he proved yet again why he's such a valued commodity. What a match & tournament! And what fun to watch as well. Full flight, creative, unselfish... he played very well against some of his new teammates. Suddenly the brigade that loved to say how 'overrated' he was (though they likely never even saw him play) were silenced with each assist, and each goal. They'll turn up again in a few months time.

4: Universally, I did not hear the expression: "Nobody cares about this tournament". Because clearly everybody did. Full sides, all trying to win it and with plenty to prove. Maybe now people can drop that excuse. Brasil cared. Spain cared. Italy cared. Tahiti cared.

5: There is still plenty of work to be done. The lineups and tactics for Brasil worked. But now Brasil goes back to friendlies and exhibitions without the high-stakes matches until the World Cup begins again. And it will only be more difficult because teams will see what they are capable of. Will Hulk remain in the side as a starter? Hopefully injuries to snake-bite them. And will Neymar settle? Will Brasil be able to match the energy and spirit of the final? I have some doubts, but then again they are Brasil, and it's in Brasil.

Overall, a great tournament. Neymar played like a weight had been lifted. I always thought the timing of his move now was great. While it seems counter-intuitive, I actually think he'll face less pressure in Barcelona than in the smouldering cauldron in Brasil right now where every focus is on him, the face of the country, with the weight of the country. He'll have some distance, and in his first season I wouldn't expect him to score 20 or 30 goals straight away.

leonidas and AuriVerde repped this.