News: Copa America to align with Euros

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Unak78, Mar 20, 2017.

?

How do you feel about this turn of events?

1. Happy about this and all it entails...

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Happy about the fact that they're switching to the Euro schedule... pero en los Estados Unidos...

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not happy about any of this and I hate change. I don't even like to change clothes,... or bathwater

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A potential Peru vs. Paraguay playoff would be more exciting for fans and television Networks than getting their fix of Brazil vs. Argentina in WCQ?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain the double elimination format. NCAA Baseball and Softball regionals with 4 teams take the equivalent of 4 or 5 matchdays depending on if the winner doesn't lose or loses once. Having 5 matchdays to get from 64 teams to 16 would take way too long.

WCQ seeding is done based on the FIFA Rankings, not a history of success. With Brazil first and Argentina third among CONMEBOL teams, a Copa America with 2 groups and the draw having 5 pots of 2 teams would make a 50-50 chance of them being grouped together. The probability of the same one team other than Brazil spending a year or more ahead of Argentina in the FIFA Rankings is higher than the probability of Costa Rica spending a year or more ahead of USA and/or Mexico in the FIFA Rankings.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As crazy as it sound, yes.
    A Potential Brazil - Argentina match gets valued much less if you basically know they both will make it easy into the World Cup anyway.

With a Random draw they could face each other already clinched by the second time they face,

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You can just as easily have a playoff while also keeping the single table format. Top 6 qualify directly, 7th plays 8th in a dramatic playoff at the home of the 7th place team (for e.g.).
    Although I realize its a bit ridiculous to play 90 matches to eliminate only 2 teams. Almost as bad as the college basketball regular season.

jagum repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #455 HomietheClown, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    It just does not seem necessary to play everyone and it seems like overkill to have a playoff after playing everyone.
    Plus it takes more match days while with two groups you can give teams rest or more FIFA day friendlies to experiment in.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

I’m thinking 4 matchdays to get to the R16:
    - Round 1: 64 teams remain. 32 matches.
    - Round 2: 64 teams remain: 32 winners from R1 play each other, 32 losers play each other, of which 16 are eliminated
    - Round 3: 48 teams remain. 16 winners from R2 that are still undefeated receive bye. 32 others play each other, of which 16 are eliminated.
    - Round 4: 32 teams remain.
    - Round 5: 16 teams remain.
    - Round 6: QFs
    - Round 7: SFs
    - Round 8: Final

So I guess it is possible that 2 teams might have to play 8 matches. Leaves fans in a bit of a flux since they won't know where their team plays for Round 2 until the final whistle blows in their first round match. But you can keep teams in the same geographical regions for the first 4 rounds to help keep travel distances down (for e.g. if you win you play next game in New York, if you lose you play in Boston).

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I sorta agree. I am a big fan of the single-table format used in qualifying currently, but what makes it work is that only half (or less than half) of the teams qualify.

Keep in mind though that this proposed new format for Copa America really does add to the burden on players. It is directly cutting into their vacation period. Whereas going with 2 groups of 5 in WCQ doesn't necessarily lead to more time off for players. It could mean less travel, but NTs are still gonna schedule friendlies during the int'l breaks. Or they will come up with some other tournament like a CONMEBOL Nations' League to fill-up these dates.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Add to the burden? Nah.
    I am looking at the big picture here. The burden would have been a lot worse if we had a Copa America and a Pan-American Cup every cycle which is what some proposed.
    CONCACAF and Africa have two tournaments per cycle. How about their burden?

This is just a little extension of a tournament that is the oldest international tournament in the World. The players will survive surely.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It is still more burden than if they had just kept the current format.

And there are 2 Copas per cycle. I mean, they are implementing this format next year, right? It's waaayyy too early to assume the next cycle will only have 1 copa. Four years ago we thought this cycle would only have 1 Copa. :rolleyes:

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen Argentina? They ain't making it easy to the World Cup any time soon :D

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They specifically said they want to realign with the Euros.
    Sure, they could change their mind but I doubt it. The Centemario was fun but they kept their word saying it was more of a one-off idea.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    :p
    As bad as they have been playing i doubt they will finish 8th or 9th in a 10 team table.:ROFLMAO:

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Assuming there's no changes and they stick with the current proposal South American teams and players will have the entire summer of 2022 AND 2023 off.
    That is plenty of time to recuperate.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I guess we will find out.
    I really hope that the 2 invitees will bring strong teams. A long, drawn-out group stage will seem endless if 4 out of 6 teams advance and each group has one really weak team (u-23s or whatever). It basically would mean you're playing 5 matches to determine the 1 additional/CONMEBOL team to be eliminated.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    *Shortened 2022 summer, that is.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    While I'm sure the lack of Confederations Cup will be welcomed, Infantino's Qatar 2022 expansion seems to be going nowhere. Meaning there will be the usual grueling CONMEBOL qualifying after a double-helping of Copa. :rolleyes:

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know if it is a grudge but more an easier sugar momama to get money from. The checks seem to have cleared for 2019 so why not invite them again? :laugh:

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Gross. Shameless on the part of CONMEBOL.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was expected though.
    How else do you think they were going to turn down all the money from a USA based Copa????

The way to slither around that offer was to add more games by Making it Two Groups of 6 and by getting other Countries that can pony up cash.
    Qatar and China seem to be the ones who want to step up in 2020.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Takes me back to my point about how 2 groups of 6 becomes an even more boring format when you have a couple of really weak teams involved.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Qatar are Asain Champions :laugh:.

But I get your point. It is all about the money.

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No, there is definitely trouble in "Centenario Paradise". :D

My irritation with that tournament is well documented around these parts. I never thought we would find ourselves in 2019 with a - gasp - "clean break" (forgive the brexit terminology) between both confederations. No Mexico in the Copa America. No Liga MX in Copa Libertadores. I have to admit, I may just be feeling the slightest pinch of schadenfreude.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have been saying for years on these boards that CONMEBOL head honchos did not want to combine with the CONCACAF and just liked their money they could make from some tournaments here and there.
    It should not be a surprise that they found another way to make money and have put to rest the whole Confederations combination rumors that I never felt to be genuine or realistic.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No, you never advocated a united Americas confederation. You did however argue that there is space on the FIFA calendar for a permanent Copa Panamericana, on top of the Copa America and Gold Cup. I believe you even suggested it could be hosted in the US. Every time.

CONMEBOL are clearly in payback mode after grandly announcing a 16-team Copa America in 2019 with CONCACAF participation in mind only to then having to scale it back down with two Asian guests. They feel humiliated - period. And of course, some claim CONMEBOL is still waiting for some promised Centenario cash.