Copa America roll call

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by AndSomeAreAngels, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That can be arranged! :)

2. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Do you even know where Caracas is located?? or do you just throw "stuff" to see what sticks?!

Venezuela right now has a crime problem, so what.... most major cities have similar issues (especially in Latin America). But Is this forum about buying property in downtown Caracas?? It's 7-8 days max folks. Unless you're coming with a bus full of senior citizens with their cameras and silly hats, you'll be fine. Most folks here fronm the US that can obviously afford to travel to Venezuela, pay for hotel, game tix, etc., probably wont be 'rubbing' elbows with the anyone from any ghetto or going to unwanted areas. Usually these places have their own security and their own way to deal with crime. They want US $$ patrons to drink, eat and SPEND!!

3. GallinAllstar08

GallinAllstar08 New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Has anyone found out some insider information on getting rooms.....buses....tickets...etc...

4. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    Hey guys, I know I owe a lot of people an email. I've been getting crushed at work the past couple weeks and that is when I am normally planning my trips. My buds and I are about 60% of the way through booking all of our travel and accomdations. I'll send that email out when we're 100% of the way done, which should happen within the next 10 days.

We've been booking hotels mainly though local contacts and just calling places. The internet has not been a great resource to that end.

In Barquisimieto, we're staying at the Hilton. When we're in Merida, we're staying at the Guamichi posada. That's all I can remember off the top of my head . . .

5. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Proposed Itinerary

I booked my tix yesterday. I had to shorten the trip a bit - but arriving in Caracas on 6/29 and leaving 7/7

JFK TO CCS
    CCS TO JFK
    $575 FINAL COST

4 :55 MINUTES DIRECT FLIGHT.

Right now I'm flying solo and know absolutely ZERO people in Venezuela. Hopefully all the BS supporters can make their way to Group C HQ in Maracaibo!

BTW, totally willing to split room costs -- I haven't booked anything as of yet regarding hotels but from what I can see - $55-65 avg for a 4 star accomodation room for 1 person -- $55-$75 for 2...

6. fabios

fabios New Member

May 22, 2006
    Houston
    Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to BS and just found out I will be going on business to Caracas on my own during the 1st round of the tournament ( pure stroke of luck). If you still have room in your group, it's cool if I joined up? I live in Houston and I am native spanish speaker ( my parents are from peru).

tentatively looking at arriving Maracaibo 6/28 and leaving caracas on 7/5
    Definitely would enjoy the experience more with some other folks.

fabiosubieta@hotmail.com

7. fabios

fabios New Member

May 22, 2006
    Houston
    This link might help you for hotel in maracaibo.

http://www.arq.luz.ve/csig2006/hoteles.htm

8. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

fabios -

I'm currently flying solo - I was looking to meet/travel with the US supporters but haven't received too much feedback as to the 'progress'. My tix is booked.
    I arrive 6/29 to Caracas -- I was thinking of then flying into San Cristobal to see Peru v Venezuela on 6/30... Then hit a couple of other towns but going to see the Argentina v Colombia on 7/2 in Maracaibo + Colombia v USA 7/5 in Barquisimeto...

what's your itinerary?

9. DanteSoccer

DanteSoccer WC 86, 94, 02, 06

Feb 24, 2005
    Dallas
    Anybody have news on hotel rooms and tickets?

10. ESPNisPUSS

ESPNisPUSS New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    IS this the ONLY thread on whos up for going to Venezuela? I'm new to this BigSoccer thing so I've yet to figure out this clusterf%^k

I'll be there with 4 other gringos for a month.

Mexico is going home early, again.

11. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Here is an old one in this forum...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380153

And see what you can find here as well...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1158

Regarding tickets, I sent an email to USSF back in February, and they said...

12. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not the advice anyone's looking for, but there's a good chance I'm going to be going without any tickets and just buying from scalpers once I'm there. Of all the sporting events and concerts I've ever been to, there's only been one that I got left out in the cold (Texas-USC Rose Bowl, where there were absolutely no tickets to be had...but watching my Longhorns win in the parking lot wasn't such a bad alternative ;) ).

I'd rather get tix through the Fed beforehand, because then we can at least have the US fans together, but I'm not sweating it too much. I'm anticipating a bit of a clusterfunk in Venezuela, but sometimes it's more fun that way. :D

Glad to hear some more U.S. fans will be there. Hopefully we have a respectable supporters section.

13. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Once folks have tix, lets set up a US Section...meaning there probably wont be enuff Sam's army supporters but combined with the US latino base traveling to catch the tourney we can probably get a nice section going? After all with NO BEER AT STADIUMS we'll need to raid some local cantinas for the best local brew...cerveza please!!!!!!!...

14. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea.

Re: the no beer, I got your solution right here.

15. ESPNisPUSS

ESPNisPUSS New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    LA COPA !!!

You guys are in for some fun times! I was in Ven. about 15 years back.
    Venezuela may be the least futebol mad on the continent but there will undoubtedly be good time to be had.

Read the threads in the Venezuela section at Lonely planet. --Thorn tree forum.. Googl it U fools...For cheap accomidation recomendations and general "K..nowledge"

Aside for the Argentina game the Colombia match is gonna be a tough ticket. If you get a line on that tic, Snag it up,..Those Colombians are gonna show up in force. FYI... Barquisamento is only 100 miles from the border.

If the rumors of Brewsi sold in bars in Merida for as little as $.30.. Are no lie,...I'm gonna spend my holiday on the piss.

I'd also read up on the black Market for US dollars bro's. EDUCATE YOURSELVES Look into bringing mucho Cash dolores. You'll be able to extend your spending by 25% over the Bank Rate.

Get a refund on some of those high gas prices!!

Lets get the serious few who are going to chime in.

5 -guys from the NW on this post.

16. The Wisdom Cube

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Assuming the USSF gets an allocation of tickets, they should all be together. US fans ought to just buy through them if possible.

17. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

great... Can we update 'roll call' when we get more info on tix information...?

who's going, itinerary planned (if any), any updates on hotels, bars, etc...

18. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    I am going to be two months Argentina and Uruguay ( Jun-August ), if I go to Copa America I am going with Uruguayan fans, sorry, but being American fan in Venezuela doesn't sound that safe, and Venezuela is known for kidnapping, and I don't know any Venezuelans or anyone living there.

19. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I suggest you rethink your 'strategy' Scott. I can understand your point about hanging with the Uruguayan fan base if you go to Copa, and chilling in Argentina + Uruguay, but to think that kidnappings dont also happen in Argentina is foolish. Like everything else, the media tends to sensationalize
    everything. Im sure your friends will help you decide.

"25 Jun 2004, Dow Jones News: Kroll Inc., a risk consulting company, estimates Mexico has the second-highest number of kidnappings behind Colombia, where many abductions are political, not criminal, in nature. The company estimates that in 2003, there were 4,000 kidnappings in Colombia, 3,000 in Mexico, and 2,000 in Argentina. "

20. ESPNisPUSS

ESPNisPUSS New Member

Apr 27, 2007

Any American who thinks they have to "hang" with some SA's for Cred value should stay home. When I traveled in Ven. I had no problems, and I was bogged down for two days because of a coup attempt. Venezuelans will have more respect for you if you be yourself, Just because their president is a jackass dosent mean the population is general are clueless. Look at our own situation here first.

Naive people become targets, not people who understand the risks and take precautions. This is coming from someone who has lived in São Paulo. A den of notoriety. Lived there two years never had a problem. Saw some hairy Sh#t yeah, but.. .. If you get a bad vibe about someone..you're insticts are telling you something. Your first instict is always right.

Venezuela is no more dangerous then any major inner US city. Kidnappers, if there are any around, will probably be keeping a low profile during the Copa America. I'd be more worried about the police. Always have a passport on you and never speak spanish to them... ever. Just smile and say you don't understand..

The KROLL statistics -above- are stats generally used for calculating risk for business executives. Most of this can be associated with fear mongering to create biz for Kroll. Most kidnappings are drug -or- gang related.

21. GallinAllstar08

GallinAllstar08 New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    if you go to conmebol.com they have an official link for copa america....in it i am sure you can read that they will be selling tickets in fases....one of the fases will be over the internet...i expect them to be about 40 bucks each....i have already started making banners for copa america...i want to sit with as many us fans as possible....so we can stand above my banners...( a little narcissistic..huh).i wll post a one up soon....i a finishing another one this wednesday....if any one has an idea or slogan for a banner....hit me up.... about venezuela...maybe we can meet up in the airport or somewhere in town(maracaibo/caracas).....i still have no lodging but i am sure there will be something...anyway hit me up PM Style, email:abarnes_jr@hotmail.com or just post a reply....

i am sure everyones concerns about safety are reasonable...but i believe nothing bad will happen....this is VZ's time on the world stage...they will not muff it up.....

22. The Wisdom Cube

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Start up a thread to encourage others to make banners for the summer tournaments (don't forget to show off your pics there). Oh, and my idea is '2006 Co-World Champions' then put Italian and US flags underneath it with the 1-1 score and maybe 6/17/06 in between the flags. It has to be a grand sign though, befitting a co-world champ.;)

23. BACKSTICK

BACKSTICK New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Has anyone heard any news about a venue change for the USA-Paraguay, and USA Colombia matches. I heard they were changed to Merida and San Cristobol.... huh?

Because of Constrction delays in Barinas and Barquisamento. Maybe this is BS

24. fabios

fabios New Member

May 22, 2006
    Houston
    There is a link now to the company that will be handling the online ticket sales in VZ. It is http://www.delujopromociones.com/
    The site is in Spanish only and still does not give a definitive date for the beginning of the online sales process.

It says that the site will operate beginning from 8 am on the day tickets go on sale, 24 hours a day.

If I see any updates, I will post.

25. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. Any translations would be much appreciated for those of us who speak shite Spanish.